X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldbob
    • Aug 2016

Lucas explains Star Wars to Spielberg

In 1975 I was working on a film in Alabama being directed by a young Steven Spielberg. It was a difficult story to get on film because in those days if you wanted something in the picture you had to actually figure out a way to photograph it. You couldn't just go into a computer and spit out a cartoon like todays special effect movies. The difficulties showed on this young directors face everyday. He was under tremendous pressure from the studios as cost mounted. I only bring this up because it meant that time was precious. Every second of the day needed to be utilized toward moving the film along. No time could be spent on fooling around or stopping the film process to chat with friends.

One afternoon this other young director showed up on the set, George Lucas. Now at this point Mr. Lucas was only known for a handful of short films and American Graffiti. I am not entirely sure why he came, I don't think he wanted Steven to direct his next film so maybe he was looking for investment money or just his approval. I can't really say. What I do know is we stopped what we were doing (we were getting ready to film this young girl walking out of her house enticed by an alien spacecraft.) Mr. Lucas had a shopping bag with him and in it he had little plastic cowboy and indians and some Tonka toys. We all gathered in a circle while he spent at least 30 minutes telling us the story of Star Wars. Down on his hands and knees like a 12 year old zipping toy figures around in space like they were flying. It was very entertaining as he told the story about princesses and good guys and bad guys with great enthusiasm.

I wish I could remember the exact words that Steven used when the demonstration was all done. Basically it was pretty much something along the lines of, "Well, good luck with that." Then we all went back to work and forgot about it.
    Last edited by oldbob; 08 September 2016, 12:25 Thursday.
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I laughed at the story (it's funny), not the poster (just to be clear). Great anecdote.

Comment

• oldbob
      • Aug 2016

Glad you liked it. I have a lot of anecdotes but, am never sure if anyone really wants to hear them.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"