X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Spotlight (2015)

This film tells the true story of the Boston Globe newspaper’s investigation into allegations of child sexual abuse perpetrated by Catholic priests, and the cover-up that allowed this abuse to continue for so long.

Priests who were discovered abusing children were moved to other parishes where they could continue to abuse other children. This relocation of abusive priests occurred again and again and again. When you consider that there are over 400,000 Catholic priests in the world and an estimated 6% of them are abusive then that’s a lot of victims.

I found this film disturbing, not just because of the abuse itself, but because so many solid upstanding citizens (parents, friends, parishioners, fellow priests, teachers, policemen, doctors etc.) turned a blind eye to the problem for so long. It demonstrates the power that the church has over people – not just the Catholic church – all churches. It tells people what to do, or in this case what not to do, and they comply, regardless of whether it's right or wrong. It is particularly disturbing when you consider that paedophilia is one of the most despised crimes.

While attending an Anglican (Protestant) school in my teens it became apparent to me that the senior clergy are the major beneficiaries of religions, not the people who attend the church, mosque or whatever. This film reinforced that belief. Having said that I have met some fine clergymen during my 61 years on Earth who have genuinely improved the lives of other people, but I do not believe that those ‘foot soldiers’ are truly representative of their organisations.

This film should be a contender for an Oscar. It handles a sensitive subject with great skill. The acting is excellent. I thoroughly recommended it.

Nigel.
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"