X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Nightcrawler (2014)

This film – directed by Dan Gilroy and starring Jake Gyllenhaal – is about a man who monitors the radio communications of the emergency services so he can be first to an incident to video the carnage and then sell his footage to a TV company. He begins to realise that creating the news can be more profitable than simply recording it, and that’s when the fun begins…

I really enjoyed this film. I’m a late night news junkie who surfs the TV news networks looking for interesting content, so it resonated with me.

Nigel.

Footnote: I have access to a variety of news networks via my satellite service. This includes stations in America, Australia, Russia, Great Britain, and China. The best station for hard news and in-depth analysis of current affairs is Al Jazeera. [I wonder if it’s easy to access in the US? Being based in a Muslim country I assume that it would be hard to get in the US. I hope I’m wrong because watching Al Jazeera is a good way of finding out what’s really going on in the world.] The worst station is Fox News, which is virtually unwatchable due to its biased reporting and lack of meaningful analysis. Fox reminds me of Pravda back in the bad old days of communism in the Soviet Union during the 1960s and 70s. We used to laugh at Pravda’s absurd reporting when we were teenagers. My country’s state-owned station (Television New Zealand) is pretty crappy too – not for its biased reporting but for its focus on 'ínfotainment' rather than hard news and its absence of in-depth current affairs. Thank goodness for satellite TV!
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Interesting movie. I thought he was going to start committing the crimes himself, like directly murdering people. Not a bad flick.

As for your thing about news service, yeah, it's interesting to get different perspectives by watching news around the world. I find some open, some rather myopic and slanted, which then causes me to take a step back in my own country and try to be more objective, to see the slants and myopathy even more clearly. I do have serious doubts about Al Jazeera. I wanted to give it a genuine chance when it showed up on our satellite provider, but one of the first shows they listed in the first day or two was literally something like "How the Jews Have Destroyed the World." Yeah... at that point, we're done. Channel deleted.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"