• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

Man of Steel

Hello all,
    I saw this last night and have some mixed opinions.
    First off let me state that I'm a huge Superman fan. Since I was a kid , read the comics , saw the movies , then cartoons etc. I went out a few times for Halloween
    Dressed the part.
    The movie is a reboot and shows you a more modern version of this classic story. They hit on key points and kept true to the story for the most part.
    The story telling was back and forth which I prefer a straight line instead of bouncing all over the place. Memories are good but not to tell the entire story from a certain time point.
    They had some good actors and some from Smallville , I counted 3 but their might be 4. Every Role was played very well.
    When Superman flies , its the best I have ever seen of this. You really get a good feel of whats thats like for him.
    I think the whole lost point is more up front here . If you watch Smallville , He felt that way the entire time in the 10 years of the show. They captured some of that being born on one planet and growing up on another.
    The Action was incredible , probably the best Super Hero Action stand point I have ever seen. Iron man and the Avengers where my favorite until this came out. So for demoing your theater systems , this one is a sure buy.
    I might have to go see it again to get more out of it. It was a ride from beginning to end with little breaks. I do however feel they could have made 2 or even 3 movies out of what they crammed into this one. In ways it felt like a one and done , other ways it left it open for another.

If I had to rate it out of 5 , I would give it a solid 4. It easily could have been a 5 if they would have explained some stuff better. Fo me personally I already know the story inside and out , from different views and liked this view. I still feel as if I was on a ride that I didn't get a chance to take in all the scenery.

What do you think?
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Good to hear, I read a rather poor review of the movie earlier. It'll be a rental for me when it comes out. And I gotta watch all Amy Adams movies! She and I went to high school together.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
      Good to hear, I read a rather poor review of the movie earlier. It'll be a rental for me when it comes out. And I gotta watch all Amy Adams movies! She and I went to high school together.
      I suppose that's one reason to watch her movies. I can think of a few others, though.

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Why not support her and go see it in the theater? It'w well worth the ticket price. She was fantastic and Zod took it out. Henry Nailed Superman and is very believable doing so.
        The Action and special effects where simply amazing. Intense to say the least.

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

So reading your review, it seems like it was a pretty good movie. I'm trying to figure out what was "mixed" about it. Was that just the order of the storytelling?
          -Chuck

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Looking forward to seeing this (and Adams...as always :W ) as well. I'll likely wait for it as a rental as well.
            Jason

Comment

• Dmantis
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by impala454
              So reading your review, it seems like it was a pretty good movie. I'm trying to figure out what was "mixed" about it. Was that just the order of the storytelling?
              My Mixed feelings is the rushed feeling I got from it. I'm a very long time Superman fan and I felt that they rushed to the end. Hurry hurry hurry is what I felt. I didn't like some of the style of story telling , without giving away the movie , Memories served a pretty big role , I didn't like that as it made the order of the movie jump around a bit. I would have preferred the natural order of things. Thats a personal hang up and even so I really enjoyed the movie.
              If you are a Superman fan , then absolutely go see it. Leave your baggage at the door and enjoy the ride , it's one hell of a fast paced movie.

Comment

• Alloroc
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Thought is was great. Really great. I was also a big fan of Superman but later in life I always felt it to be a rather juvenile in presentation, formulaic and definitely prescriptive. Batman on the other hand was always grittier and darker given the context of the mythology.

That all said, the first thing you have to do not view this as a traditional superhero movie. This is not a spoiler, by the way, but it's presented very much as a first contact movie and that context makes it much more interesting and certainly more credible.

Nolan injects a realism and credibility into the plot. Snyder's visualisation of Krypton is mesmerising. Actors are cast well and a special mention goes to Crowe - I thought he stole every scene he was in.

If you are expecting the camp nature of previous moves, well, you won't be happy. If you like what Nolan did with Batman - and though Man of Steele - is not as dark, you should enjoy this.

I love this reboot.
                Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Crowe doesn't do any singing, like Les Mis, does he?
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jun 2004

Crowe doesn't do any singing, like Les Mis, does he?
                    No I don't remember him doing any. He is excellent in the movie , he really brought a new flavor to that role. I was way in.

Comment

• impala454
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007

Saw this yesterday and loved it. Thought it was very well done, minus a few fight scenes which got a little repetitive. I suppose any Superman movie/comic/etc is difficult in the sense that the guy is basically invincible. I mean how many times can you toss each other through buildings and brick walls before you just say screw it and be friends? Also I didn't really follow how he could kill Zod by breaking his neck... I mean, they'd been throwing each other through buildings for 30 minutes straight. Oh well I guess realism is silly in movies like this.. Overall I loved it and will definitely get it when it comes out on bluray for another few rounds of watching.

Also as a soundtrack junkie (and have been listening to this soundtrack for weeks already) Hans Zimmer did yet another amazing job. Btw if anyone is on Google music and wants to check out my soundtrack playlist, see here:
                      -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Lego has now put out a set that contains Amy Adams as Lois Lane, so I now have a high school classmate that is a Lego minifigure. I've always thought that you've made it to a special place, when you become a Lego minifig.

I don't ever think we'll see a Chris D minifig, though.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Saw this a few nights ago. Loved it. Cast was excellent and I enjoyed the "updates" to the mythology. At the moment, owing to nostalgia, the first two Reeve movies remain my favourite Superman on screen but that could change with a few more viewings of MoS. Not a perfect movie (few are). Minor quibbles about the second half's action scenes in terms of length (a 3-5 min. cut--judiciously applied throughout--in the action could have been traded for a bit more time with Martha, as she is the one important character that I think could have used a bit more development, and a bit more of Jonathan, Martha and Clark together--seemed it was mostly Martha/Clark or Jonathan/Clark.. As I said, minor quibbles.

This will definitely join the collection.

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Watched this on a plane yesterday. Mehhh... thought it was good. Definitely aspects of it that I appreciated, like the fight scene quality, and another great soundtrack from Hans Zimmer like have already been mentioned. And I appreciated that this was a different approach to Superman. Like others have mentioned, I think the fight scenes did get drawn out and repetitive, though. In some ways, the end fight(s) really reminded me of the Neo/Smith ultimate battle scene in Matrix: Revolutions. (which is interesting, as getting into the philosophy alluded to in the Matrix movies, Neo is a Nietzche-esque Super Man archetype)

More than a "superhero" movie, I think this film really was more of an "aliens action" movie, which is not really here nor there. But the biggest thing I kept coming back to in my mind, over and over, was "is this movie really necessary?" Superman's origin story has already been covered, over and over, retold NUMEROUS times, through all sorts of media. I'm rather tired of movie makers that say, "but I can re-tell the story of XXXXX even better with my own spin!" Then we get reboot, after reboot, after reboot. Some are good, a lot are not, but as the population of each story, and the overall total number of different "reboots" continues to rapidly increase, I get reboot-fatigued. I hope we're toward the end of this current trend of "reboots are cool", and film makers will start telling new stories as semi-sequels for characters and themes, instead of just starting over, and over, and over, every single time. There definitely comes a point where I'd like to see a XXXXXXXX 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0, rather than XXXX 1.0, 2.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.1, 3.1, blah, blah, blah. For instance, the Star Trek universe is being handed over from J.J. Abrams. I have no doubt the next director would love to "reboot" the whole thing over again, and would have great ideas of things he could do differently and better. But SHOULD he? Star Trek already has one reboot, and that's plenty! That universe has done very well, and flourished with continuing the story FORWARD, through all sorts of sequels and spin-offs.

Back to the Man of Steel. Chuck, I also thought it was odd that after everything, Kal could kill Zod just by breaking his neck. Oh well. Perhaps just the end to this version of "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object". And I continue to enjoy seeing C-17's play prominent roles in modern movies. I'm sure nobody notices, but lately the C-17 in all these movies has been tail #3121, which is currently an Edwards AFB tail. That's just one production model later than tail #3120, which I consider to be "my" C-17.

All in all, a worthy effort, and lots of aspects I appreciated. (and I didn't even mention Amy, who does well yet again) But somewhat clunky, I feel unnecessary. I give :3: out of :5: I hope for future sequels that tell additional stories, and NOT more reboots.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Well, the sequel to Man of Steel will be Batman vs. Superman (working title--official one not yet released). And while that's been done thousands of times in comics, it's never been done on film. So at least it won't be a re-boot.

As for Trek, Abrams will still be producing and his production company will be in charge of the film (at least some of the same screenwriters from the first two are on board for the third one), so a re-boot, at the very least, won't happen with the next one.

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Batman and Superman together would indeed be moving both of those franchises forward on film, and not re-hashing any stories again. I would welcome that project!
                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2007

Even if Ben Affleck plays Batman?
                                  -Chuck

Comment

• P-Dub
                                    Office Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Yup, even if it an Affleck Batman. I think he'll do a good job.

Speaking of reboots, etc. Isn't Jame Bond the ultimate reboot? Every few years we have a new actor playing Bond. The basic premise remains the same. Some finer details are adjusted, new M, Q, etc. Some old some new stuff, gadgets, no gadgets.

I thought the final fight sequence to be massive, but really got hung up on the destruction scale. I'll still be going to see the next one.

So does that make me 1 degree of separation from Amy Adams? I know Chis and Chris know's Amy? I think this is the big story here!
                                    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Oh dear, that's right... we're going to get AFLAC as Batman. No, I'm not looking forward to that part. Maybe they'll even try to make Matt Damon as Superman. Silent Bob as Lex Luthor?

Paul, I'd argue that up until the latest Daniel Craig versions, Bond movies were not reboots. Each one had a distinctly different plot, with all new villans and accomplices that told a brand new story about Bond and his usuals (M, Q, Moneypenny as you point out) and continued the saga, even if the actor himself was different for Bond. In fact, there are a few small references in a few of the movies that tie some of them together in plot lines.

In fact, one could argue that the new Craig films aren't really reboots either, as they don't necessarily override, or re-tell the original Bond films. They seem to show Bond in his life before the other films. For example, none of the Craig films have tried to re-do "Dr. No", nor prevent that storyline from still happening in the Bond universe.

As for Amy, I do wish I could say I know her, but honestly I haven't even seen her since 1992, and even before that, I don't know if she and I have ever had a conversations together. You could say she was "out of my league" in high school, and she probably wouldn't remember me at all.
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jun 2004

I think Ben will do a good job as Batman, I'd prefer to keep Bale but I guess he doesn't want the part. I wonder if they will work in Robin from the last Batman movie? He went to the cave at the end and I'm sure they did that to make more Batman Movies off it.
                                        Anyone know when Man of Steel is being released on Blu Ray? I can't wait to pick it up..

Comment

• Ovation
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Man of Steel is 12 November.

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

I think Robin would be great, or the Nightwing persona that some think might come out. I am very impressed with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the actor he has become. He would make a great Robin/Nightwing. Heck, at this point, I'd even take him as Batman over AFLAC. (who has become a pretty good filmmaker in his own right, but I don't want to see him as the Dark Knight)
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Ovation
                                              Man of Steel is 12 November.
                                              Most excellent thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"