X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

What have you watched on TV lately? (today, last night, etc..) Running Thread

Please limit to no spoilers, but brief description of plot lines ok, without spoilers.

I watched a movie with Woody Harrelson, about a Russian train ride, involving drugs, corruption, and their journey. Trans-Siberian I think it was. It was actually pretty good. Of course, Woody is a talented actor anyway. It also featured the woman from the show Newsroom, that plays the woman with the sort of British accent. I'd give this flick 3 of 5 stars.

I then watched "most", but not all of Valkarie with Tom Cruise. I had never seen this movie before, so I am a little disappointed now that I didn't wait to see the entire flick. Cruise was is normal best at playing a character a lot different than what he usually plays. So, for him, it was a somewhat challenging role I'd imagine, but one he seemed to relish. Great detail in the settings and movie props. I'd say this one is 4 of 5 stars. Good movie.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I watched Dexter and Homeland.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Lex: I did like "Valkyrie", and would recommend it as a full watch.

Last thing I watched was "Woman Undone", a story of a woman arrested for shooting her husband out in the desert and then burning him in his car. Had the lady in it that played President Rosyln from the latest Battlestar Galactica, who is rather pretty. It was okay.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Last night I watched a new addition to my collection, an old classic just released on blu-ray: Sunset Boulevard. It's about a down on his luck Hollywood writer who becomes the kept man of a rich but faded Hollywood star. The writer is a young William Holden and the Hollywood star is Gloria Swanson. This film is an absolute classic in the true sense of the word.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

I watched some NCIS on DVD last night that I rented from our local library. It's The only way to watch TV honestly!. I also have some X-files episodes on DVD and very interestingly, Adele.....live at the Royal Albert Hall....which I am VERY curious to see. She has got a serious set of pipes that I have never heard live. Should be fun!!
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I saw X-Files on some network the other day, first time had seen it on in a while.

Dougie, I watched Homeland Sunday night, pretty good episode.

I should probably change title to what did you watch, today or last night... Or what have you watched lately (today, last night etc...)

I don't want this to take place of BIG events, or movies, but to be a what did you fill your time with type thread...
            Doug

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Yeah Homeland is in my top 5 or so favorite shows currently.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Lex
                I don't want this to take place of BIG events, or movies, but to be a what did you fill your time with type thread...
                Thanks for clarifying that, Doug.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Last night we watched last week's Fringe, an episode of the Big Bang Theory, a bit of Jamie Oliver and the Daily Show :lol:
                  Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Watched Dr. Strangelove yesterday and today (yesterday to select aspects to discuss in today's class). Watched Moneyball last night (good, low-key movie).

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

What a great movie to watch, Ovation, particularly for a classroom discussion. As silly as DS:OHILTLTB is, it does do an excellent job of posing some very difficult questions. It was one of the early movies to address the topics of the ethics and sanity of mutual assured destruction, and the difficulties of nuclear surety while maintaining the ability to initiate a nuclear attack. These themes have come up since then in many movies, such as War Games and Crimson Tide.

For me, the ultimate line of the movie that sums up the themes and dry sarcasm from the entire film is:

"Gentleman, PLEASE! There is no fighting in here! This is the war room!"
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

I'm digging this new Sherlock Holmes Series on Thursday nights, also the show before it, the name almost failed me right now... Now I have it, "Person of Interest". I saw those last night, and Big Bang and Two Men and an occasional 3rd man.

I have saw every episode of the new Holmes and Person of interest. Interesting shows.
                        Doug

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                          What a great movie to watch, Ovation, particularly for a classroom discussion. As silly as DS:OHILTLTB is, it does do an excellent job of posing some very difficult questions. It was one of the early movies to address the topics of the ethics and sanity of mutual assured destruction, and the difficulties of nuclear surety while maintaining the ability to initiate a nuclear attack. These themes have come up since then in many movies, such as War Games and Crimson Tide.

For me, the ultimate line of the movie that sums up the themes and dry sarcasm from the entire film is:

"Gentleman, PLEASE! There is no fighting in here! This is the war room!"
                          A lot of the background material (the making of the film) is quite interesting. Kubrick originally intended a serious, straightforward thriller. When he went the satire route, he had to "trick" a few actors--he never told Slim Pickens it was a satire. Pickens only got his own portion of the script (he wasn't hamming up, that's just the way he was). George C. Scott was also "tricked". Kubrick had a hard time convincing him to ham it up, so he told Scott they would "practice" some really over the top scenes, in order to get him in the right frame of mind for the "real" scenes (somewhat toned down). Kubrick promised Scott no one, except the cast and crew, would ever see the over the top sequences. He lied. Kubrick used every over the top sequence that was usable. Scott was so pissed off he swore he'd never work with Kubrick again (the info I had doesn't make it clear whether he disliked the final cut of the movie or simply the fact Kubrick had tricked him).

Sellers was supposed to play the bomber pilot as well (that was the only way Kubrick could get funding--if Sellers agreed to four roles). Sellers injured an ankle and couldn't work in the confined set of the plane (some believe he faked the injury to get out of the role). Kubrick's next choice for the role was John Wayne (who, as one might expect, turned it down once he realized it was a satire).

The extras on the 40th anniversary DVD (or the Blu-ray) are well worth exploring (it's where I learned some of the above).

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

That's really interesting. I need to own that movie anyway, so if it's out on BD, I'll pick it up and hear that stuff for myself! THanks!
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Watched Rock of Ages the other night. Surprises all around (thought I'd dislike it and my wife would love it--turns out I found it quite entertaining and she hated it).

Finally got around to watching Bonnie and Clyde (only had the BD on my shelf since it came out). A classic that I'd somehow not watched before now. Will definitely be watching it again.

Will be tackling a few historical features this week, in preparation for a course I'm teaching next semester. This week's focus is on South Africa, so Cry the Beloved Country, Cry Freedom and Invictus are on tap.

Comment

• P-Dub
                                Office Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Watched Walking Dead last night. A zombie survival series on AMC. I missed some of the first and second season, but have caught up on some and this season I haven't missed one episode.

Just stayed up long enough and then crashed right after.
                                Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

The Walking Dead was pretty good last night

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

As per Woody Allen's movie "Hannah and her Sisters" and this might not be entirely accurate.....this artist, a tired and fed up dude says " It's been ages since I've watched TV,,,,flipping channels to find something. What with the deodorant commercials and the intellectuals decrying the mystification over systematic murder of millions of Jews during the Holocaust says "How could this happen"....And then he goes..... "That's the wrong question.... The reason why thay cannot answer it is that it is that is the wrong question.....The question is that it should be.....why would it not happen more often". Jezzus!! 8O

Comment

• Ovation
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Watched The Hunger Games (comments in the review thread in the DVD forum) today. Caught up on a few episodes of How I Met Your Mother last night. Don't know what'll be on the screen tonight--maybe nothing (I know, heretical to make such a statement here, but rest easy, there will at least be some music ).

Comment

• Lex
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Apr 2001

I watched Red Tails last night on a movie channel. It was a great movie! tremendous action sequences, and a good story overall. I'd give it close to a 4 star rating of 5.
                                        Doug

Comment

• Ovation
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Been watching the second series of The Hour (a BBC programme). First six-part series was excellent. First two of the second series are keeping up the quality (though perhaps not the pacing) of the first series. Strongly recommended.

Comment

• Lex
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Apr 2001

I watched another surprise thriller on a movie channel this week. War Horse.

Probably not a film I'd watch often if I owned it, but a fantastic first viewing film. Quite dramatic.
                                            Doug

Comment

• madmac
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2010

I agree Lex.....that was a great film!!.

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"