X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Cowboys and Aliens

A good cowboy movie needs a western town, a saloon, some kind of a gang or bad guy rancher that owns or threatens the town, a stranger that is going to save the town. A posse is always a plus, indians another plus, bandits with a hideout in the canyon also a plus. This movie has all the above.

A good alien vs the earth movie needs a superior race of invaders. Ones that drip stuff off their mouths and skin are best. Better yet is when they have some insect characteristics with sharp teeth, and body parts that extend out of their bodies, and like to wipe out planets either for food or some sort of rare unobtainium. Keeping humans alive in some sort of hibernation but alive state is always good. This movie has them in spades.

So, what you got is The Searchers v.s. Independence Day. And, it works. :P
    Last edited by Bob; 02 August 2011, 08:57 Tuesday.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I am a hardcore western fan, as you know, Bob, and though I am also pretty big on sci-fi, I'm just not sure I'm agreeable to mixing the two genres into one cocktail. But I do intend to rent it when it comes out, and if I like it, I may add it to my collection.

You know, many felt that Star Wars was nothing more than a western in outer space, with space ships replacing horses, and maybe that's why I never really liked that series of films the way most people have.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

I understand why you would think that, George. But, think about it, in the world of sci-fi if UFO's can arrive in 1950 or 2050 why not 1850?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Bob
        But, think about it, in the world of sci-fi if UFO's can arrive in 1950 or 2050 why not 1850?
        No argument there, Bob.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

Perhaps a tad off topic, but if you do actually like the mix of western & sci-fi, make sure you give the Firefly TV series (only 14 episodes total) a look. To me it's one of the best sci-fi TV series in existence.
          -Chuck

Comment

• M.Roberts8
            • Jan 2006

Just saw it. Really liked it going to buy it for sure.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"