X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Remembering The Stalking Moon

I was flipping through the on-line guide and found that The Stalking Moon was coming on. Of course that laid claim to the next two hours of my Sunday. Sir George, did you catch it on your end of the country?

If you aren't familiar with the title, it's a 1968 western starring Gregory Peck, Eva Marie Saint and Robert Forster. A retiring calvary scout agrees to take a woman rescued from the Apache and her mixed-blood son to civilization knowing they'll be in danger from the boy's father Salvaje, a ferocious Apache chief. Great actors, a fine story, good attention to historic detail, good cinematography and an effective soundtrack make for one of the seminal westerns of the time. Dialog is spare per the film's director (Robert Mulligan) and time depicted, but more would have been intrusive.

I think this film should be a primer for anyone wanting to learn the trade of true westerns (Paul, what do you think?). It's available on DVD, but I'm not sure of the quality.

I give it a strong :4: out of :5:.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

A fantastic Greg Peck western. I've owned it ever since it was released on dvd and have watched it several times. A lot of taut suspense. In fact, I find it a nail biter every time I watch it, even though I always know the outcome. I also felt that Robert Forster did a great job as Peck's Indian scout friend.

Another excellent Peck western ( oh, there are so many ) is The Bravados, which I have also watched several times. And then there's Yellow Sky and ... I could go on and on. Peck, like Gary Cooper, was a natural for westerns.

BTW, the PQ is very acceptable considering the age of the film, but if it ever comes to blu, I'll be digging in my pockets.
    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"