• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

1975 vintage western at bargain price

BITE THE BULLET
    Stars Gene Hackman, Candice Bergen, James Coburn and Jan Michael Vincent.

A newspaper sponsors a horse and rider race across a rugged landscape annually and offers a prize of $2000. Doesn't sound like much, but this is the turn of the century.

Hackman plays a compassionate man and a real animal lover who eally doesn't like these races because some ride their horses to death. But he was late delivering a race horse to one of the rich sponsors and was fired. He enters because he needs the money, and wants to win by using a stratagedy that won't harm his beloved horse. Coburn is an old friend; they were Roughriders together and they become friendly rivals during the race. Bergen is not what she seems, and has ulterior motives for entering the race. Vincent is a young braggard and is cruel to animals. Oh, yeah, Hackman does teach this boy a serious lesson that sees him become a man later in the film.

This is a cut above the usual western because it is written and directed by Richard Brooks, the man who did such a great job on Truman Capote's IN COLD BLOOD. It is more about men and women and what motivates them to do the things they do, which includes entering races like this. Some do it for the money, but most do it because they want to be winners. So this is a character driven film, but it has enough action, and a few shootouts that make for a fast 2 plus hours of entertainment.

Candice Bergen is very young here, and very gorgeous. Hackman, though filmed 28 years ago, doesn't look much different than he does today. This guy ages well. And Coburn, well he was a lot slimmer here, and without the arthritic hands of later years.

I give it 4 Stars and an extra one to Blockbuster for making it available at $12.00. This is another western addition to my dvd collection. I have a couple of James Stewart ones on the way, and I will comment on them after I have had a chance to view them. But if you like westerns and the stars mentioned above, you really should have Bite The Bullet in your collection, too. Are you listening, Tex ?

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Thanks George. As you know, I love the Westerns, so I'll definitely check it out.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Gotcha George. I've been a fan of this movie since it came out, but haven't run across anyone that had purchased (or viewed) the DVD. What kind of PQ are we talking here?

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Glad to help, Keith. Looks like you, Tex and myself are all western hounds.

Tex, the PQ isn't reference but not bad for the age of the film. Sound, on the other hand, is plain mono, but very nice.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"