X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Battle Los Angeles

Pretty good action movie. When it comes out on DVD all you sub woofer lovers will have a good time with it.

No reason to rush out to see it unless you just have a afternoon with nothing to do. Will make a good DVD rental.
  • its_bacon12
    • May 2008

Pretty intense and action packed, striking visually though. Really different way of approaching the same idea. I enjoyed it.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I'll certianly give it a rent when it comes to blu-ray.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Oooh, the Rotten Tomatometer is sitting at 35% on this one.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• june
          • Feb 2005

hello all,

someone else stated ID4 meets BLACK HAWK DOWN. i agree but enjoyed it. should be seen on the big screen. and it will rock the system on bluray.
          Last edited by june; 14 March 2011, 14:42 Monday.
          June
          "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by june
            someone elase stated ID4 meets BLACK HAWK DOWN
            Okay, that's all I needed to hear. :T I'm hoping it'll be a fast Blu-Ray release.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
              Oooh, the Rotten Tomatometer is sitting at 35% on this one.
              Chris, the audience is giving it a 71%, but the reviewer rating is down to 31%.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Critics. What do they know ? :P
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Gump
                  • Sep 2005

I thought this movie was just ok, and I'm pretty forgiving of action movies as I kinda like the genre. There was definitely a lot of spent shell casings flying around, but the bad guys were kicking some major rear end. Got a little depressing after awhile.

Maybe the hot trailers and hype left me expecting something a little better. Basically, this was kind of a "Black Hawk Down" meets "Independence Day" blend, except that both of those movies were well done.

As in most action movies, it's vitally important to have a scary villain that scares the blank out of you. The aliens in this movie didn't really meet that requirement at all. After movies like Terminator, Aliens, Predator and on and on...the bar is set pretty high. The Martian Troops I saw in "Mars Need Moms" tonight were better animated than in this movie. The camera kept flashing on the aliens then off of them quickly making it difficult to even see them for the first part of the movie. At first I thought this was to give the feeling of chaos that the characters felt in this firefight, then I started to suspect it was just because these quasi-robotic aliens were just not that well done. Just my opinion.

I read one review that made me laugh that said the alien "Mother Ship" looked like it was constructed in Fred Sanfords' junk yard. The way it was clanking and groaning he was right! I think a group of pre-schoolers turned loose in the Ace Hardware nuts & bolts section could have probably built something better.

It's a good dvd rental. That's about it. Grade: C

I agree with the critics on this one George.....but, what do I know?! Ha!

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Well the movie is actually based off a real event that happened, some sort of UFO sighting in the 40's? They call it The Great Los Angeles Air Raid. While many of you may laugh that this, it was actually supposed to follow what was accounted that day, obviously they went a bit farther then what actually happened but that's where the story came from.

Comment

• P-Dub
                      Office Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

I think I'll still try to catch this in the theater. But now my expectations won't be as high.
                      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Gump
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                        Well the movie is actually based off a real event that happened, some sort of UFO sighting in the 40's? They call it The Great Los Angeles Air Raid. While many of you may laugh that this, it was actually supposed to follow what was accounted that day, obviously they went a bit farther then what actually happened but that's where the story came from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angeles
                        Interesting...
                        Well, that incident may have planted the seed, but Hollywood took a hard left turn and cultivated something from a ....well, different planet.

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Well that event from 1942 is actually a famous UFO sighting, a lot of army officials and what not claimed to have seen and been shooting at a UFO. So yeah Hollywood definitely stretched the event a bit further.

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

One of the articles referenced in the Battle Of LA story mentions that the Bombardment Of Elwood (California) by a Japanese submarine was the incident that Steven Spielberg LOOSELY based the movie 1941 on. See? All roads do lead to Hollywood.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

... starring Kevin Bacon.
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• HDBLU
                                • Jul 2008

Look Very Interesting Look forward in seeing it.
                                2ch Setup
                                Krix Neupohonix
                                Musical Fidelity M6i
                                Musical Fidelity M6CDP
                                Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
                                MIT

Comment

• Sharp 1080
                                  • Dec 2009

We actually enjoyed this movie. Took my 19 year old son with me to see it. I will definitely rent it when it's on Blu Ray. May turn out to be a great demo disc.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"