X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

No talk of Mad Men?

I was surprised to do a search and find no one had started a thread on Mad Men. I'm not the only one at this site who watches it, am I? It remains one of only two "blind buys" for TV series (excluding some documentaries for my work) I've ever made and the other one was because of its 5$ price for the season (The Bill Cosby Show from the early 70s).

I've just finished watching the S3 BD and I think it's one of the five best TV series I've ever followed (and I'm nearly 43 years old, so I've watched a fair bit of TV).

I don't want to spoil anything but I do want to urge anyone and everyone to watch it.
  • krips
    • Sep 2007

I've never even heard of it. What's it about?
    Sharp LC-42D64U
    TriTrix MTM (Sealed)

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

At the ripe old age of 48 , I'm leaning towards The Sopranos and All In The Family as "best ever" contenders. Then again , I really liked Farscape , too!
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I've seen portions of a couple episodes. I'd really like to get into it, as it looks good. The mens' attire is also something that I'd like to emulate.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by krips
          I've never even heard of it. What's it about?
          It's set primarily at an ad agency on Madison Avenue in the early sixties (so far). The set design and attention to detail are nothing short of fantastic, the storyline is multilayered and captivating. The acting is superb all around.

It is not a fast-paced, action-oriented show, nor is it full of comical interludes (though it is not without its funny moments). It is a sophisticated drama for adults that asks you to pay attention in order to be fully rewarded.

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
            I've seen portions of a couple episodes. I'd really like to get into it, as it looks good. The mens' attire is also something that I'd like to emulate.
            It is definitely worth getting the BD sets to see it at its finest. And the extras are quite good too.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
              • May 2008

Great series...luv it! :T
              Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Now, the bits I have seen, had this HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT redhead in them... secretary maybe? Looks like it could be worth watching it just for that, if nothing else.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Now, the bits I have seen, had this HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT redhead in them... secretary maybe? Looks like it could be worth watching it just for that, if nothing else.
                  Buy the (only) season of Firefly , and watch "Our Mrs. Reynolds". Christina Hendricks is WOW. "Trash" is the other episode she's in. And it's a great series culminating in "Serenity".
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Hmmmm... I'm not remembering that specific character/actress, but I'll look again. I think I own the Firefly series, if I remember right. I really had a thing for Kaylee, she's a cutie.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Her character's name was Saffron. She was the one Captain Reynolds ended up (accidentally) married to. I think she is the actress you're referring to in Mad Men. IMDB has quite a few shots of her.
                      My family's best wishes and prayers go with you as you approach your destination.
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Well, where I'm at, the only way we can really watch TV or movies is bootleg DVD's from a little vendor, so I just picked up and watched the first two and a half seasons. (that's all they had) Very much liked it. The character development is especially deep, and really seems to be the focus of the show. I like how just about every character is shown, in the end, to have their own flaws, and "not really have it all figured out". Just like life, there are many people who appear to be confident, or successful, but underneath it all are still trying to figure things out themselves. And it's a perfect setting in American history, where the country was about to start into an identity self-check. To me, the perfect character exemplifying all this is Pete Campbell, the young junior executive that gets Peggy pregnant early on. He expertly puts on a good front, perfect hair, acting confident and happy, gunning for raises and promotions, but underneath is just a wreck. An absolute weasel. He plays a great character, using phrases like "gosh, that'd be just swell", like I can imagine people thinking they're EXPECTED to act in 1960.

Yes, Christina Hendricks (the redhead secretary) is HOT! Man, she is built. All woman.

I am really liking the outfits of the time. In particular, I SO wish I looked like Jon Hamm. (lead character Don Draper) Geez, what a "man's man" look about him--tall, slender, square jaw, great suits, great hats. If I could pick any look in the world for myself, I think that would be it.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

This started back up again, so far it's been so/so on the first episode. I'm not sure how long they can drag this show out? Maybe another two seasons including this one. Although generally the big networks tend to stretch things out longer then they should! But I can see plenty of plot opportunity with the fact their new company is still pretty small.

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

I like it still. This will actually be the last season. (season 5) The song "Zou Bijou Bijou" seems to have stirred up the internet. I wondered if Betty was going to get killed off, but maybe not if the cancer's benign.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Ah so they are cutting it after this season. It seems like it's popularity has died out some since it first came out. I have to say it's a much better show then Pan-Am was though.

Comment

• David G
                                • Jan 2005

I've been tempted but have never watched it because I suspect it would be full of feminist nonsense (like the majority of what comes out of Hollywood).
                                Am I wrong?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Hmm....I don't feel it's full of feminist none sense but I don't really understand what you mean completely? I think it likely portrays the 50's quite well as to what life was really like.

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Actually, if anything, I'd call it mysogynistic. One of the things that has an "appeal" of Mad Men, is that it's a period piece of the 1950's/1960's, and makes efforts to depict many things of that era accurately, such as sexism, flagrant smoking, alcohol use without modern regard to consequences, etc. It doesn't really seem to do so with an agenda to convince you that these things are "wrong", just accurately capture what society was like at the time.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Actually, if anything, I'd call it mysogynistic. One of the things that has an "appeal" of Mad Men, is that it's a period piece of the 1950's/1960's, and makes efforts to depict many things of that era accurately, such as sexism, flagrant smoking, alcohol use without modern regard to consequences, etc. It doesn't really seem to do so with an agenda to convince you that these things are "wrong", just accurately capture what society was like at the time.
                                      I second this observation. As an historian I might quibble with the accuracy of certain things but as a viewer I find it an excellent show. Moreover, there is no agenda to make everyone "feel bad" about the era portrayed on-screen (if anything, I've read a number of complaints that it glamorizes behaviour best left in the past).

Comment

• David G
                                        • Jan 2005

Thanks for clarifying.
                                        I love 60s stuff so I might just give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"