X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alloroc
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

Yet another apocalyptic blockbuster from the man who gave us Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow....

I'm sure it will be entertaining all the same and probably best experienced on a big screen.... But I don't know.... I can't explain it but it seems like I just prefer Vampire flicks now... :W
    Last edited by Alloroc; 29 October 2009, 07:13 Thursday.
    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Looks like a decent movie!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• june
      • Feb 2005

hello all,

i'm not to excieted but will see it.
      June
      "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Eh. And because my post is too short to be acceptable, here's another: Eh.
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

The first trailer looked awesome. It caught my attention as I desire the fear of tidal waves that big (if anyone gets that)... and because I like these "end of the world" type movies. The problem is... they've all sucked for me. I'd like to see the director of No Country For Old Men direct an "end of the world" movie... and let the bad guy (nature in this case) win. THAT would be awesome. And maybe on the last second of the movie, you see that two little kids survived (hence the only chance at the human race). THAT would be a great End of the World movie for me.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Looks like another CGI- heavy film. Not sure what to expect of the story, but maybe John Cusack will help lift it above the ordinary.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

This is the same guys who did Independence Day, Godzilla (USA crapfest), Day after Tomorrow and the like, right?

Not expecting much beyond impressive FX (and seeing the White House get destroyed yet again).

I'll rent it. My kid will want to see it. And I'm always up for a John Cusack movie, even a cheesy one.

Comment

• crytklmass
                • Dec 2008

I agree. too much CGI not to mention there always one step ahead of the disaster. According to the preview, volcano's, earthquakes, title waves, wow with that luck he better play the lottery. For some reason, I think this movie may suck. Trying to hard to incorporate everything into a large disaster scene. I hope im proved wrong, I like these movies. audioqueso, Im assuming you scene knowing. 2 kids at the end and nature won.
                BOB

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Yes, but Knowing sucked for me. I hated that movie. It was great until the little girl said "the whisper people" It was pretty retarded from that point on for me.

But... take the Day After Tomorrow... let nature win, destroy the whole world. And sure, the world may have been destroyed, but end it so that only some still survived, get out from some cave they hid in, look around and see all is gone, and then think "where to go from here..." Man, I should be a director, baby! lol
                  But you get what I'm saying.

2012 is probably going to suck if it's the same director as all these other movies. But I'm still gonna watch it just to see tidal waves cover the Himalayan ountains. :B

Comment

• crytklmass
                    • Dec 2008

We should get together and make a movie, we share the same visions.....
                    BOB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

I just hope the ancient Mayan calendar ended at 2012 for some reason other than the end of the world... :lol:
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Saw it last night spur of the moment. We went to see something else and found it wasnt playing at the theater we showed up at.

Yes its the end of the world type movie. The first hr is rather slow, building up the characters/story. The next 2 hrs (thats right, this movie is almost 3hrs long) is just tons of special effects and non realistic survival of the end of the world. (And by non realistic, I mean pretty neat to see on the big screen!)

Overall its a 3 hr movie that kept my girlfiend litterally at the edge of her seat for some time! It was entertaining, but also kind of depressing (come on, end of the world! People die! Lots and lots!)

If it looks interesting to you, check it out!
                        B&W

Comment

• will1066
                          • Aug 2003

OK, I had free AMC passes so decided to use them. Glad I didn't pay money to see it. It's another The Day After Tomorrow with better effects and another morality tale about humanity's class prejudice and inhumanity.

John Cusack was fine selling an "everyman" schtick.

Woody Harrelson was great in his small role.

Chiwetel Ejiofor was fine with the material he was given.

Everyone else was stereotypical cardboard.

The CG:
                          Emmerich's CG still lacks full photorealism to me, especially when compared with the work in Transformers and District 9. While there are loads of detail in the destruction--very meticulous detail in fact and much more than in TDAT--the CG is just too polished and the colors are too rich. It doesn't take account how sunlight and dust tend to mute colors, which the CG in D9 did really well.

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

More Hollyweird , leftist , crap. IMO.
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Alaric
                              Agreed, not a great story by any means, I dont see why anyone who saw the previews would think so.

If you want to go for action with lots of nonsense and explosions etc. This is a decent movie to do so. If you want to see a great story... come on..
                              B&W

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                • Sep 2001

"IMO" = you've seen the movie? I have, and as unbelievable as it is, I thought it was a lot of fun to watch the spectacular special effects ("everything gets blowed up real good") and the over-the-top Saturday matinee-like cliff hanger escapes from danger by some of the main characters. Since we do not discuss politics here, I assume by "leftist" you are referring to the emphasis in the (pardon the expression) plot on who is left (aka "still alive") after the, ahem, crapshoot the cataclysm turned into.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Of course that's what he's saying Burke. Otherwise someone would have slapped him around for making political comments. :B

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                                    Of course that's what he's saying Burke. Otherwise someone would have slapped him around for making political comments. :B
                                    Or, even worse, had him executed by lethal injection...

Just kidding, Alaric. :lol:
                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• audioqueso
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

It wasn't bad.
                                      I mean, the car driving and airplane piloting was very exaggerated, but the movie itself was very solid. They made sure they covered every hole in the story. It was good. The effects were, of course, incredible!
                                      They did miss one big part... they said the sun actually destroyed the earth's core... so I wasn't sure how there could be ANY happy ending. ha ha ha
                                      But it was good. No regrets.

Comment

• june
                                        • Feb 2005

hello all,

tried to see this in a dlp theater today but the surround sound was not on. wife & i got a refund and will see a 3pm showing at another theater. i was in hell during the previews. the previews wasn't in surround sound either. :M
                                        June

Comment

• june
                                          • Feb 2005

surround sound makes a major difference.
                                          June

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                            • Sep 2009

It looks pretty horrible, but from word of mouth, it was _okay_.
                                            -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2001

I bought this as a previously viewed disk and watched it last night. It was far too long and though I rarely criticize popcorn flicks per se, this was was just so dam ridiculous that I found myself laughing out loud at certian scenes, such as when Cusack climbed out of the crater with one hand while holding the map in the other. I wish I hadn't bought it because I certianly won't be in any hurry to sit through its 158 minutes again. As for audio, I didn't think the LFE was all that great. Bass wasn't as hot as I expected. And PQ, though very dark at times, was quite nice.

On this one, I think you have to check more than just your brain at the door...
                                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Armbender
                                                • Jul 2005

I actually regret buying this blu-ray..The trailers had me sooo pumped up for a great special effets movie...just got my new classe 600 and wanted a great movie to test it with...I was greatly disappointed...extremely cheesy...

especially when woody harleson popped his head out in it..come on...this movie had great potential...The Day After Tommorow was 10 fold a better movie in every aspect...
                                                Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• Chris D
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Dec 2000

I might see it when it comes to TV or something. I got all I needed out of this director when I watched "Day After Tomorrow". As Stephen Colbert aptly put it, (satirically) "Why does this director hate the Earth so much"?
                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                    "Why does this director hate the Earth so much"?
                                                    Actually, I think he may have some kind of grudge against humankind in general. The body count in his films has to be the highest on record.
                                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Dec 2000

Just saw it. Bad, bad, bad... more liberal propaganda bull$h!t, wrapped up in "let's combine every disaster possible", with bad settings, mediocre acting, unbelievable storylines, etc. Waste of 2+ hours. Story:

- Let's have a quiet scene to try and make you care about the characters
                                                      - Ground cracks under your feet
                                                      - Jump in airplane
                                                      - Barely take off from runway while world crumbles around you
                                                      - Find another runway, unharmed
                                                      - Show news conference or leadership scene to ridicule conservative politics
                                                      - Repeat
                                                      - Repeat
                                                      - Repeat
                                                      - Do the same thing with a big Battlestar Galactica Noah's Ark
                                                      - Transition the movie to Waterworld
                                                      - End

Ridiculous movie, tired leftist propaganda, totally unbelievable from start to finish. Going into movies, I expect to suspend some belief of reality for a couple hours, not abandon is all common sense completely, to buy into the filmmaker's agenda.

:15: out of :5:
                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2001

I was pretty sure you'd dislike this one, Chris.
                                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• bigburner
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • May 2005

What unbelievable rubbish. Do people watch films just for the special effects? They were the only redeeming feature of this vacuous pile of turds.

The sacrifices we make to bond with our teenage children.

Nigel.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                            • Sep 2001

Please don't hold back. What did you really think about "2012"? :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

What? Nobody got teary-eyed when the captain of ship #4 opened the hull doors so everyone could walk out on deck and experience the glorious sunrise of a new day dawning on the remaining children of the earth? :

Comment

• wettou
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • May 2006

Well to each his own I find Harry quite funny:B
                                                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                                                                  OK, OK, I lied. I think that it was an uplifting story with great character development.

Nigel.

Comment

• kpodolski
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                                                                    It sucked. I would rather take a bone saw, crack open my own skull, reach inside and feel my own brain than watch this film again!

How's that? :twisted:
                                                                    The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2000

What? Nobody got teary-eyed when... oh, never mind. I already tried that one. :thud:

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by kpodolski
                                                                        It sucked. I would rather take a bone saw, crack open my own skull, reach inside and feel my own brain than watch this film again!

It was BRILLIANT! That was after borrowing kpodolski's bone saw, cracking open my own skull, reaching inside and loosening a whole bunch of screws.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2001
                                                                          • 7637

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                                                                          It was BRILLIANT! That was after borrowing kpodolski's bone saw, cracking open my own skull, reaching inside and loosening a whole bunch of screws.
                                                                          :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
                                                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• wettou
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 3389

Originally posted by kpodolski

Yum, I will have some Chianti and some fever beans with that! :B
                                                                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                            Search Result for "|||"