X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Ken Rockwell's CES 2012 Audio Report

Ken Rockwell has just posted his reviews/comments on the hi-fi gear he saw at CES 2012:

He makes a few interesting observations including the following:

"Sadly for the great equipment being offered, with speakers typically in the corners near the panelled hard wood walls, and no room treatment save for the drapes over the window, most of the $150,000 hi-fi systems shown sounded pretty crummy".

"Audiophiles usually are stuck with wimpy speakers because they blow too much of their limited funds on fancy amps and cables".

I couldn't possibly comment on that second one.

Nigel.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

CES is beginning to look more and more like SBSW.

It’s now so big, overwhelming and over-hyped by the industry/media, you can’t see the forest for the trees.

It’s become a mockery of itself due in much part to its own self-professed significance.

I now avoid the petty reports with the same passion and reason that I avoid network TV. Total lack of significance.

As Always, JMHO, YMMV
    Last edited by wkhanna; 19 January 2012, 09:58 Thursday.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

We have an Audio show here in Montreal each year and they do put a lot of effort into their setups. It's done in a hotel downtown so the systems are set up in rooms that basically mimic one's own living room. :T

I had to laugh at one setup though where the speaker cables were actually elevated off the floor using these little 'telephone' poles.........For better sound of course!!! Hehehe!! :rofl:

It's a great idea to check these shows out because you get to hear other gear and setups and ..........it's a reality check about what lacks in your system or on the other hand, a confirmation as to how good your gear and setup really is (Mine being the latter of course!!! :B )
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I make an annual trek to the Montreal audio show. Got a great deal last year on an Anti-mode 8033 sub EQ (works great--never going to have an non-EQ'd sub again). It's always fun to gaze at gear I'll never be able to afford, as well as get some ideas on future upgrades/additions.

Also a good place to pick up SACDs that can be hard to find elsewhere (even online).

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Since when does rockwell do audio? Well familiar with his photography reviews. Well thats new. A Ken Rockwell subscription a month. I guess he took a page from a guy thzt does photography reviews as fee based.

I guess ken figures he is already there for photography so he may as well expand to audio. Lucky us. Well it was a decent photo summary.
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Originally posted by Lex
            Since when does rockwell do audio? Well familiar with his photography reviews.
            I don't do photography so I only know him from his audio writing. Did you check out the audio side of his web site? Most of it makes sense to me. He's quite a clever guy I think.

Nigel.

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

No clue he was into hifi gear - I've read a lot of his photography stuff...
              Danish

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Wow, his photo site is wonderful!
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
                  I make an annual trek to the Montreal audio show. Got a great deal last year on an Anti-mode 8033 sub EQ (works great--never going to have an non-EQ'd sub again). It's always fun to gaze at gear I'll never be able to afford, as well as get some ideas on future upgrades/additions.

Also a good place to pick up SACDs that can be hard to find elsewhere (even online).
                  I'm glad you have discovered the beauty of sub EQ'ing. It makes ALL the difference in the bass presentation !! :T

I did buy a few HI-REZ discs as well when I was there too and the prices were reasonable. These discs are typically not found in stores at all.
                  Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"