X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gianluca
    • Oct 2008

Looking for a Movie

Hello All,

Looking for a movie I watched years ago, somewhere in the 90's. Played by Irish accent actors in a Irish setting. I think mention of the IRA involved.Comedy/Drama about a gangster that tries to get away from police with genious tactics.

Few scenes maybe some of you will recognize;

Wife wants him to buy a house so he deposites money at local bank but has his friends rob the bank as soon as all paper work is done and leaves.

Police is surveiling his house so he askes all his friends to come over with the exact close his wearing and then asks everyone to leave at same time (30 people all dressed the same way)

Police are following him around the city and suburbs for so long that they both have no more gas but he has 10 gallons of fuel in trunk and drives off with the police out of gas.

Dying to see it again

Gianluca
    Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Hmmmm not sure but sounds rather good. I don't suppose you remember any of the actors or anything?

Comment

• Gianluca
      • Oct 2008

Low budget movie, saw it on directv PPV years ago. Don't even know it it made it to the big screen.

Looked maybe Gleeson was one of the actors...

Gianluca
      Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Gianluca
        Hello All,

Looking for a movie I watched years ago, somewhere in the 90's. Played by Irish accent actors in a Irish setting. I think mention of the IRA involved.Comedy/Drama about a gangster that tries to get away from police with genious tactics.

Few scenes maybe some of you will recognize;

Wife wants him to buy a house so he deposites money at local bank but has his friends rob the bank as soon as all paper work is done and leaves.

Police is surveiling his house so he askes all his friends to come over with the exact close his wearing and then asks everyone to leave at same time (30 people all dressed the same way)

Police are following him around the city and suburbs for so long that they both have no more gas but he has 10 gallons of fuel in trunk and drives off with the police out of gas.

Dying to see it again

Gianluca

I reckon the movie you're talking about is "The General". If so, it was based on the life of one of our most notorious criminals - Martin Cahill. He was a really nasty piece of work and was assasinated in the 90's by the IRA (they reckon). The movie was liberal indeed with his exploits but he did pull of some daring heists none the less and was an infamous character in Dublin in the 80's and 90's. He was so slippy, the literally couldn't bust him.

Interestingly, when Cahill was taken out, the massive battle for Dublin's drugs business exploded and ultimatly spawned another movie - Veronica Guerin. She was a crime reported that exposed Cahill and his successors - so they finally took her out. It was a crazy place back then!

Anyhow, it was originally released in B&W but the DVD had a colour version too. It was directed buy John Boorman and also starred Jon Voight as the police chief. Not a low budget movie by any means but the B&W picture was made to look gritty give the subject. It was a huge muce in the cinemas here.

And if it's not this one.... sorry, but you got me!
        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Gianluca
          • Oct 2008

Hi Alloroc,

Seems like a match but I realy thought that Jon Voigt was not in it, but I might be wrong. Will view it and see. Back then when I saw it I thought of it as a comedy/drama but the subject matter might have escaped me.

Thanks for pointing it out, let you know

Gianluca

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

I agree with Alloroc, you are looking for the General. But, I don't recall it being in B&W.

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Comment

• Alloroc
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Bob
                I agree with Alloroc, you are looking for the General. But, I don't recall it being in B&W.
                The original movie cut shown here was.... perhaps the one overseas was shown in colour. I know they did both.
                Vincent.

Comment

• Alloroc
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

Actually, all this reminds me of another movie roughly based on Martin Cahill's shenanigans..... "Ordinary Decent Criminal" - starring Kevin Spacey (as Michael Lynch).

Also set in Dublin, both movies are very, very similar though the General was released a good year before ODC.

This all may have been lost (the Cahill link) on international audiences given the parochial nature of his activities but I suppose the fact that this guy spawned two movies large enough movies meant he was one hell of a criminal!

Oh yeah, ODC also has a young Colin Farrell starring
                  Vincent.

Comment

• Bob
                    • Jul 2000

By gosh, Alloroc, you are right. It is in B&W. I remember Cahill wearing a tee shirt with a pig on it and in my memory it was pink. Shows how fallible a memory can be.

Comment

• Gianluca
                      • Oct 2008

Well Alloroc you found it...It is the General.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"