F-??
    G-humming bird

Help, I can't remember. i'm getting old
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I believe D was the "submarine option". I don't remember what F did (maybe it was the submarine option). I have the first two DVD sets (though I haven't watched them in a while). I was planning to watch some this weekend. I'll get back to you.

Comment

• june
      • Feb 2005

I think this is right:

Button A, Auto Jack: Releases four jacks to boost the car up so that it can be repaired. Although designed for this function, the auto jacks are more often used to leap the car short distances at high speeds, as a wedge to prevent the car from toppling over a waterfall, as an alternative braking system. The spring-like sound the jacks make is distinctive to the show.

Button B, Belt Tires: Sprouts special grip tires for traction over any kind of terrain (firm, icy, or unsteady ground; ocean floor; vertical mountainsides). At the same time, 5,000 horsepower (3,700 kW) is distributed to each wheel by auxiliary engines.

Button C, Cutter: Powerful rotary saws protrude from the front of the Mach Five to slash and cut any and all obstacles. Mostly used for racing in wooded areas (especially when Speed gets forced off the road), the rotary saws have also been used as a means of self-defense.

(While the swath of the cutters is wide enough for the Mach 5 to pass, in real life, if similarly designed cutters were used, the length of the remaining trunks of large trees would be sufficient to impede, or even crash the car.)

Button D, Defensor: Releases a powerful deflector which seals the cockpit into an air-conditioned, bullet- and crash-proof, and water-tight chamber. Inside it, the driver is completely isolated and shielded. The deflector also protects against sleeping gas, as it has its own air supply.

Button E, Evening or Illuminating Eye: The control for special illumination which can be traversed singly or in tandem, and which enables to see much farther and more clearly than with ordinary headlights. When used with the “night shades” attached to Speed’s helmet, his vision is enhanced with infrared light.

Button F, Frogger Mode: Used when the Mach Five is under water. First, the cockpit is supplied with oxygen. Then, a periscope is raised to scan the surface of the water. Everything that is seen is relayed down to the driver's seat by television. The 100 pound (45 kg) auxiliary supply of oxygen is enough to last for thirty minutes.

Button G, Gizmo Rocket: Releases a homing robot from the front of the car. The homing robot can fly and can carry pictures or tape recorded messages, handwritten messages, X-ray film, rope, and small Egyptian statues, and it has been used as a means of defense. The bird-like device is operated by a built-in remote control within the cockpit.

Button H, Homing: This button is, unlike the other buttons, not located on the steering wheel; instead is located on a console between the seats. Button H is part of the Gizmo Rocket's controls, and it simply sends the robot "home” to a pre-programmed location, usually Speed's house.
      June
      "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Don't you wish you could own that car?

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Anyone watched the trailer for the movie coming out? Looks pretty trippy. It's being done by the guys behind the Matrix Trilogy. To quote one movie site, "It looks like a rainbow threw up on the screen and I like it"

Kevin D.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, as I never watched the show as a kid. (didn't have that channel) But I'll watch the movie when it comes out!
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

There are five DVD sets with all or virtually all the episodes. I have the first two and will be getting the next three in short order. This was my favourite cartoon when I was a kid (though today it would likely not get much airtime for six year olds) and I would run home from the bus stop to not miss it.

Comment

• Club1820
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
                I have no idea what you guys are talking about, as I never watched the show as a kid. (didn't have that channel)
                Wow! Really? I thought everyone watched and played Speed Racer.
                Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Club1820
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Ovation
                  (though today it would likely not get much airtime for six year olds)
                  You'd be surprised. My son and his cousin, 5 & 6 yrs old, love to watch the dvds. I actually dressed up my son as Speed Racer for Halloween in a home made outfit when he was 2 years old!
                  Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

I meant that more parents today would be reluctant to let their 5 and 6 year olds watch a show with so much gunplay. Cartoon violence takes place in many modern cartoons, but characters actually died on Speed Racer--it didn't traumatize me but I'm thinking, knowing my kids' temperment, 7 or 8 will be more appropriate for them. Not a criticism of others, as I am a very strong advocate of parental choice rather than arbitrary rules--I find the MPAA guide somewhat insulting--just an observation regarding my own kids.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"