X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

IMAX 3D Polar Express

I know Christmas is over this year, but I was so impressed with this experience that I wanted to share it with everybody.

First, this is not a critique of the "Polar Express" movie. It's been out long enough now that you've probably seen it and have already formed an opinion on it one way or the other. If you haven't, then you're probably not interested in it anyway and aren't even reading this. I'm a little ambivalent about certain aspects of the movie myself, but like I said, that's not why I'm writing this.

My 5 year old son and, to a lesser extent, my 3 year old daughter love this movie. Actually my son is a little bit crazy about it. He knows most of the dialogue and says it along with the characters. He mimics the action and jumps around during the more "intense" scenes. It is a bit of an understatement to describe him as an avid fan of the movie.

We have watched the DVD version numerous (and I do mean NUMEROUS) times. Like most 5 year olds that get fixated on a particular movie his enjoyment never lags.

Even though we've seen the DVD so many times now, I thought he might get a kick out of seeing it in the "Big" theater. So today we all headed down to the Imax Theater and watched the "Polar Express" in 3D.

What an amazing and cool experience this was! I've seen a couple of other 3D movies prior to this and was not very impressed. It always seemed gimmicky to me and made me a bit uncomfortable after a while.

But, if there was ever a movie made for 3D it is the Polar Express. You feel like you're ON that train. You think you can reach out and grab snowflakes as they fall around you. The scenes with the train "out of control" are breathtaking. The whole movie was a "trip"!

Just an awesome experience that I highly recommend. My son was mesmerized and didn't move for an hour and forty minutes.

My wife and I agree that this will become an annual Christmas tradition for our family----at least until my son stops "Believing", which I hope won't be for a long, long time...
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Hey Gump, great feedback, thanks for sharing! My family hasn't see the movie yet much less experience the ride you described in 3D. I have been SERIOUSLY considering getting the Blu-ray Disc until I read your post. For someone that has never seen Polar Express and has a 22 month old what do you recommend?

You also mention that you would like to make this a tradition. Is the IMAX theater running this movie every Christmas? I take it you went to the Deer Valley location, correct? You got me very interested to experience the same ride!
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Gump
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
      Hey Gump, great feedback, thanks for sharing! My family hasn't see the movie yet much less experience the ride you described in 3D. I have been SERIOUSLY considering getting the Blu-ray Disc until I read your post. For someone that has never seen Polar Express and has a 22 month old what do you recommend?

You also mention that you would like to make this a tradition. Is the IMAX theater running this movie every Christmas? I take it you went to the Deer Valley location, correct? You got me very interested to experience the same ride!
      Hi James,

What would I recommend....hmmmm...not as simple a question as it might seem.

A lot of my answer depends on your son's interests at his age as well as what you as his parent feel he is ready to handle. Different children accept things at different age levels. My son and daughter are a perfect example of this which you'll see in a minute.

We first bought the Polar Express DVD a couple of years ago based on my son's interest in trains. He was infatuated with anything and everything involving trains. The Thomas the Tank Engine series was his favorite and he collected all of the different character trains and at 2 years old could identify and name all of them.

So he was about 3 yrs old when he first saw Polar Express on DVD and he did not like it. Some of the scenes made him a little scared and he didn't want to watch it. There are some rather intense scenes in the movie when the train races out of control as well as some "dark" moments, not to mention the "look" of the computer enhanced characters can be a little intimidating at first. So, the DVD sat on the shelf gathering dust.

Last year we went up to the Grand Canyon railway in Williams, AZ. for their annual "Polar Express Run". We had a great time and my son became a Polar Express fan. When we got back home we dusted off the DVD and he loved it. Now, my daughter who is actually 2 & 1/2 years old (she'll be 3 in April) has had no problem with it. She sings and dances to all the songs in the movie and has a great time. She's a little more laid back about things in general than my son is (the difference I mentioned earlier) plus they have each other for support (courage in numbers). She had no problem with the IMAX 3D except the oversized plastic glasses would occasionally fall off her little nose and I had to help her put them back on.

Soooo...after that long-winded preface here are my answers to your questions:

Yes, I would definitely buy the Polar Express movie on Blu-ray which I am sure would look awsome. Then you and your wife should probably preview it and see if you think your son is ready for this type of "unusual" movie yet. If he isn't this year I'm sure by next Christmas he'd be ok with it. Then I'd watch it at home first a time or two to let him get comfortable with it before heading to the IMAX.

The IMAX Theater we went to was downtown at the Arizona Science Center at 7th st. & Washington. The only other place I know of that it was playing is Arizona Mills Mall. I believe it was playing at these locations last year as well which makes us hope that it will return yearly.

Well, I hope this helps you a little bit with which direction to take, James. I really can't say enough about how cool the IMAX experience was. I guess the word "magical" might touch on it. I also recommend the Williams Polar Express trip too! You need to get your reservations in early for that though.

Take care and let me know what happens!

Neil

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Gump,

This sounds exactly like my experience, the IMAX 3D version of Beowulf. All of my previous 3D movie outings were gimicky as well. But this thing really put you in the film! IMAX 3D seems to have this down to an art now. Glad you and your family enjoyed the show!
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Neil, your input was very helpful.

Based on your feedback we have decided to purchase the Blu-ray disc of Polar Express with plans to watch it next season. While we still haven’t seen it I suppose the dark scenes are no worse than what the Incredibles have to offer?

My son is a bit more laid back like your daughter so I suspect he'll be okay with watching it on our TV for the first time. We haven’t taken him out to the movie theater yet so that experience is something we should be planning for in preparation for IMAX 3D presentation of the movie.

I vaguely recall the Williams trip but now, with your recommendation, will make a point to check into it. (I believe there are other rides too in Verde Valley and Grand Canyon Valley but I'm not sure exactly when they run.)

Thanks for the great advice. Arizona Science Center here we come! :B
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"