X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bmac
    • Aug 2006

Are you less likely to goto the movies?

How many people find themselves waiting for the video?

Is your system better than the local theater?

Do you still need the movie theater experience?

I personally see fewer, and fewer movies in the theater. My systems isn't better, but I can control the variables(i.e. children, teens, and popcorn...ect). I hope I'm not asking the same question someone already asked.
    Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I do.

Yes.

Only on occasion.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

I haven't been to a theater in 25 years. (I just did the math-it's accurate). There is no way a bigger picture is going to compensate for the lousy atmosphere. It helps that there haven't been a lot of movies I'd pay to see in the last quarter-decade!
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

For timing, it just happens that by the time I/we get around, the movie on DVD.

I'd say my system is good for me. Better than some theaters. I like the control.

I go only for the bigger blockbusters, plus we get cheap tickets. Some day there won't be a need to go out and I'll just hold screenings at home.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

The last movie I saw in the theater was "Cars", and before that, "Return of the King". So maybe one every 12-18 months. I only see the ones in the theater that I'm a big fan of, and can't wait. I'll probably see Spiderman 3 this weekend.

In general, it's just too much better at my house.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Dave999
            • Mar 2007

Even though the audio portion of my system is much better than the theater, I still go to the movies on almost a weekly basis. Especially movies that I am interested in. I just can't seem to wait for them to come out on DVD. I am upgrading to a new front projector, so maybe that will change my thinking.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

I have a 92" x 52" screen in a 14 x 17 foot dedicated room with 7.1 sound and 2 subs so I really feel close to the big screen experience. But I still like to go to the theater a couple of times a year, just to relive that bigger than life feeling you get with a 30 to 60 foot screen, even though the surroundings of our local cineplex are dank and grungy, and the sound is less than what it should be.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Generally I watch at home. Though I make the odd exception for movies being played on IMAX which IMO is the only presentation that beats my home system compared to the crappy, grainy, out of focus (albiet larger) picture and mediocre sound in the average theatre. Don't get me started on the sticky floors, the kid behind you kicking your seat, the noisy teens trying to impress their friends etc...
                Jason

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                  • May 2004

Last time in theater was 2003. It is the other variables that keep us out - kids, cell phones, etc... Also the concession stand prices have gone out of control because that is where they make all their money. Another nail in the theater cofin is that movies are coming to DVD much faster these days, 3-4 months seems to be the average.
                  Steel

Comment

• Gremal
                    • Apr 2007

Last time I saw a movie in the theater was recent compared to some of you--I saw Letters from Iwo Jima. It was a good movie but a horrible experience. A guy two rows up would not stop coughing through the entire movie. A guy sitting next to my friend ripped some rude farts during very quiet/sensitive moments of the film. Guy sitting behind us was crinkling his candy wrappers constantly, and I had to share an armrest with someone who seemed to have a ADD or some type of disorder. Add the substandard audio (compared to my system), the inconvenience of parking and waiting on lines, the stale soft drink and popcorn stuck to the floors and seats and it becomes a very unenjoyable experience.
                    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• ShadowZA
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Yes.

Yes.

Not any more (last time was 3 years ago).

To us, our home theatre offers a much more intimate, involved, exciting and flexible experience. Soundwise too.

Comment

• brendon
                        • Aug 2004

I only tend to go to the movie theatre these days so the kids will have an outing.
                        On my last vist to the local megaplex to take the kids to see Meet the Robinsons I had to find an usher as we were ten minutes into the feature and the lights were still on and the projector had been set to the wrong format from half way through the trailers :M .
                        I much prefer my comfortable leather recliners and having control over the
                        experience.
                        Brendon

Comment

• Danbry39
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Sep 2002

I really avoid theaters that aren't in my home.

I only go about two or three times a year.

The reasons:
                          1. Money - by the time I put out for my family and many times my kids friends, well, I could buy two or three or four DVD's.
                          2. When I want to go use the bathroom at home, there's a button I found recently on my DVD player named "pause". I took it to the theater with me recently, but it doesn't work there.
                          3. Sticky floors, feet from behind me propped up on the seat beside me, and who knows what live on the seats.
                          4. Talking, loud chewing, etc.

I really like being able to control the environment at home.
                          Keith

Comment

• hawkfan
                            • Feb 2007

My answer to number three is yes. I still need that movie theater experience. With movies like Spiderman 3, Silver Surfer, Fantastic Four 2, and Transformers coming out soon, this is an ideal time for a Sci-Fi/tech head like myself! I stil like to feel the "collective" excitement that you can only get in an actual movie theater. There's a certain satisfaction in knowing that there are other people out there who share your interests or taste in films. It's kinda hard to explain it.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Danbry39
                              When I want to go use the bathroom at home, there's a button I found recently on my DVD player named "pause". I took it to the theater with me recently, but it doesn't work there.
                              Don't you just love that little button, Keith.
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Danbry39
                                I really avoid theaters that aren't in my home.

I only go about two or three times a year.
                                If you only 'go' a couple or three times a year, I can see why you wouldn't want to be caught in a commercial movie theater when the time arrives.... :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                                  If you only 'go' a couple or three times a year, I can see why you wouldn't want to be caught in a commercial movie theater when the time arrives.... :>)
                                  Heh, heh. Burke, that has to be your best so far in 2007. :lol:
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Sep 2002

Now that's funny.
                                    Keith

Comment

• Blindamood
                                      • Sep 2003

The only time we get the movie theater 'experience' anymore is when we're out of town and get a rainy day...otherwise our home theater does the trick. In addition to the Pause button, the second best feature is the fully stocked mini-fridge that sits less than 4 feet away. :B

An interesting movie theater story, though...just a couple of years ago, I was in Anaheim for a taekwondo tournament, and had some free time one evening. So, I decided to walk to "Downtown Disney" and catch a movie, which happened to be Star Wars III - Revenge of the Sith. About halfway through the movie, I felt my seat shaking a bit, and I could swear the movie theater (the building) was swaying a bit. I thought, "wow" the movie theater next door must have some amazing effects. Nobody got up, but everyone was looking around a bit, wondering. Went back to my hotel room later and flipped on the news, and found out we had just experienced one of about 4 earthquakes that had occurred that same week. Wow, you can't get that at home in Cincinnati!
                                      Brad

Comment

• Alaric
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

My fuse is too short to deal with cell phones , flatulence , or erroneous conversation. If I drop $50 for a night at the movies for two and have to "compromise" my investment for the sake of "getting along" I'll probably be posting here about the ridiculous bail rates.....
                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                        Marantz CD5005
                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"