X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Shooter

It was mucher better than we thought. At first we thought this would be a remake of "Most Wanted." But we was wrong, 9 out 10. Also it was great seeing a film made partly in "Philly."

"Pride" released on Friday was also made in Philly. It's Philly week with Rocky Balboa being released on dvd last Tuesday.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Shooter is destined to be in my dvd collection.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

From the trailers this looks like it's straight out of Stephen Hunter's book Point Of Impact. It's one of a series of books about Bob Lee Swagger, a Vietnam sniper that is severely wounded and retired on medical grounds. He tries to live a "normal" life, but because of his talent he keeps getting drawn into some serious events.

The "Bob Swagger" novels are fine reads if you are interested in the techno-military-thriller genre. I highly recommend them.

Time To Hunt
      Point Of Impact
      Black Light

I have really high hopes for this movie. :T But, that probably means I'll be disappointed. :

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• june
        • Feb 2005

If the film makes $$$$, their maybe a sequel.
        June
        "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yes, looks good. There's an HD trailer and a behind-the-scenes video on the Playstation store for download. I like them both.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David Meek

I have really high hopes for this movie. :T But, that probably means I'll be disappointed. :
            I don't know about that, Tex. It's directed by Antoine Fuqua ( did you see Training Day ? ) and he tends to lean toward a good stroyline and character development. I'm actually thinking about going to the theater to see this one.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Oh, yikes... Ebert & Roeper this weekend (with a guest for Roger) did NOT like this movie. Lots of bad stuff to say about it. I think it got two thumbs down--at best one up, one down.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
                Oh, yikes... Ebert & Roeper this weekend (with a guest for Roger) did NOT like this movie. Lots of bad stuff to say about it. I think it got two thumbs down--at best one up, one down.
                Doesn't mean much to me, Chris. I rarely agree with these guys. But Rotten Tomatoes has it at 47% today so we'll have to wait and see.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

That probably means they didn't padd Ebert and company's pockets, ya think?
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Dave999
                    • Mar 2007

I saw the movie and it was better than I thought it would be. Good action, reasonably good performance from the actors. If you like action movies and can suspend reality, its enjoyable.

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

It's finally made it up here to the island theater so I'll be catching it tonight. Ahh, the joys of living waaaay away from everything.

Comment

• mike c
                        • Dec 2005

watched it yesterday. it was a good movie for me

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Having read (and thoroughly enjoyed) the Bob Lee Swagger novels, I went hoping I'd like it, but figuring I'd be disappointed in the movie. I have to report that I was both. : The first half of the film tracked the primary story arc of the book extremely well, only diverging when director Antoine Fuqua got into the second half, and the heavy action sequences. His ending was quite different in set-up, but overall came moderately close to the feel of the book.

Mark Wahlberg is very well cast as Bob Lee Swagger. He's taken the character in the books and brought him to life. Enigmatic, aloof and with an unnatural ability to shoot when it counts, I hope Wahlberg gets a chance to reprise his character in one of the other stories - along with a director that can do more with his story.

Michael Pena also gets the role of FBI agent Nick Memphis just about right. It's a different arc than the one for this character in the book, but it works.

For the first half, I'll rate this a full four stars but it drops once Fuqua starts "interpreting". Overall I give it :3: out of :5:.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Never read the book so it looks like I will really like this film. I like Fuqua's style.
                            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"