X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • H.Donald
    • Aug 2004

the Wire...whew...

Any fans of HBO's 'the Wire' around here?We just finished watching the season 4 finale...and wow....
    I have watched all 4 seasons...but this year,was simply the best season of a show that is probably my all-time favorite tv show.

It is tough,gritty,well made...free flowing,and the acting is top-notch.

My wife and I were both a little upset at the ending...because unlike most of the things on tv,there was no tidy rap-up with familes playing volley-ball on the lawn.Which is what I love about the show...it is all too real.
    And both of us,having lived and worked in the big city...have met and come across many people like those on the show.

If you haven't been a fan of the show...grab the dvd from your local video store.In fact,I may ask Santa for the first 3 seasons for Christmas.
  • june
    • Feb 2005

H. Donald,

You are absolutly right about the Wire. The Wire is my favorite HBO show. The season finale came to soon. Thanks to Comcast's On Demand for letting us see the season finale a week early.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• H.Donald
      • Aug 2004

I don't believe I have ever felt as attached to a tv character,as I did those 4 little boys.If anyone wonders why our prisons are filled....their lives provides prime example.

As I read another columist write about season 4...if you are not watching the Wire,your tv should be repossesed.

Comment

• KeithM
        • Oct 2005

The Wire is the best TV show on TV period. I'm trying to get all seasons on DVD for christmas, but I know if I do I wouldn't have any reason to leave the house until the next season's out on DVD

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

So I got into the Wire about a month ago. Thanks to Netfix I am almost done with season 3. Holy crap, this has to be the best TV show out there, without a freaking doubt. It feels so real, nothing is held back, excellent writing, excellent acting by every actor. SUPERB!

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Alright, alright, people. You talked me into it. I'll check out this show from Netflix. What's it about, anyway?
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• WillyD
              • Feb 2006

It is about the shitty city of Baltimore, Maryland.

Really though, it is about a group of police officers who form a special case unit to bring down a big time drug dealer. There is much more to it than that, of course.

What I really like about the show is that it doesn't try to influence your opinion of either side necessarily. It feels as if the facts are just being presented. You see everything unfold and you take it all in. It is fantastic.
              Last edited by David Meek; 15 March 2007, 23:41 Thursday. Reason: added SPOILER tags to mask profanity

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

So after ya'll GUSHING praise for this show, I've been watching season 1 disk by disk for the last couple months from Netflix. At first, I had no idea what you guys were talking about--the show seemed nice, but rather slow for me. For some reason, though, I kept going and renting the next disk. I just finished disk 4, and suddenly it just kicked in, when the black female cop was shot. It just got pretty good.

I do appreciate that there is a HUGE depth to each character, and lots of backstory, not just the typical renegade cop who gets hauled in front of his captain, who screams about taking away his badge. (see "Last Action Hero") I'm going to keep watching.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• june
                  • Feb 2005

Chris,

Season 2 or 3 (The Dock issues) was just okay. But the last two seasons,
                  are excellent. Can't wait until it continues...............
                  June

Comment

• Miroku
                    • Jul 2004

I'm bumping this thread because Season 5 is starting to get really good! Best TV show ever, indeed. :T

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Sheesh.. I can't keep up. I only finished season 1. That's a lot of discs to rent.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• june
                        • Feb 2005

Series Finale

So, what did you think????
                        June

Comment

• H.Donald
                          • Aug 2004

I'm only up to episode 8 this season....
                          My wife and I plan to savior the last two shows this week.But so far it has been a great ride...and there is of course a lot to rap up.
                          Which is one of the great things about the show...many characters,without a central one...actually,they were all central.
                          Once again top notch writing,but season 4 will remain my favorite...

And how about the lack of respect HBO has given this show???...only 10 episodes this year and no high-def.
                          The suits over there should be flogged...

Comment

• june
                            • Feb 2005

H. Donald,

I agree with you 99.9%, is that why we are called "M.O.P.E.s?" Please email a message after viewing all 10 episodes.
                            June

Comment

• Miroku
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by H.Donald
                              And how about the lack of respect HBO has given this show???...only 10 episodes this year and no high-def.
                              The suits over there should be flogged...
                              Actually the shows creator (David Simon) has been quoted that he only needed 10 and a half episodes to get this season done, and if he had needed 12 or 13 HBO would have given it to him.

Also, the show started in 4:3 SD and has stayed that way to maintain consistency.

The series finale was fantastic. It lived up to all of my expectations. I think this show will go down in history as one of the best ever, if not the best. Anyone who appreciates television, or the possibility of television, as an artistic medium simply must watch this from the beginning.

Comment

• june
                                • Feb 2005

Miroku,

My wife started watching The Wire in season 4 (school issues) thur the end.
                                We are starting from the beginning now. So far it's great the second time around.
                                June

Comment

• H.Donald
                                  • Aug 2004

Thanks for the info,Miroku....

Our target date is tomorrow night for the finale.I don't know what we will do when it over...maybe we re-watch the entire 5 seasons also.
                                  I'm sure we would pick up things that we missed.

Or,maybe it's time to re-watch 'the Corner',which was my favorite mini-series of all time.That show was another HBO made,written by Edward Burns and David Simon...guess I am a fan of their work.

It featured many of the same actors from the Wire,and was just as powerful.

The Corner...

Comment

• H.Donald
                                    • Aug 2004

Great finale...to a great show.Without tidying things up,they did a great job at tying things up.Some things did not end the way I wanted them to,but that's life...

I found it very interesting the way my 4 boys from last season ended up...
                                    One is going to be a drug addict...another to a life of crime,and another who is full of anger will probably also end up badly.The only one who had a real chance at life,looks like he's going to Princeton.
                                    Sad...but true to life.

I'll miss the Wire...

Comment

• Ovation
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

I know I'm (very late) to the party, but a friend of mine lent me the series box set and I just finished it last week. Best TV show ever, in my opinion. If ever I get to teach a current events course on American urban challenges, this will be assigned viewing to my students (probably not the entire series, though, sadly).

Outstanding work.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"