X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

25th Hour

Spike Lee's films aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I like his work so I wanted to add this title to my collection. It stars Edward Norton, Philip Seymore Hoffman and Barry Pepper as three friends since childhood. Norton turned out bad and became a drug dealer, while Hoffman and Pepper went on to become a teacher and Wall Street Broker respectively.

The film deals with the 25 hours before Norton has to turn himself over to prison authorities. During this 25 hours he wants to make things right with his dad, played by Brian Cox, and have a final fling with his friends. This is a pure study in character all the way and some may find the story a little slow. Now, like Johnny Depp in Blow, it is very difficult to portray a drug dealer and elicit any kind of sympathy from the audience. But you do find yourself wishing that Norton's character had done things differently with his life. As for the ending, well Mr. Lee puts it in such a way that you can decide for yourself how you want it to go..

Good acting, directing and cinematography that's contrasty and off color.
    If you liked Blow, you'll like this one.

:35:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Lee is always if nothing else thought provoking. "She gotta have it" is my favorite by far of his work. I'm looking forward to seeing what this brings to the party. Thank for the review!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"