X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Preacherman
    • Jan 2004

Narnia

Great movie for the entire family. Lots of action, wonderful special effects, good character building and it moves fluidly. One of the best films I have seen this year.
    Bruce

Individuality - Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Looks Great! :T This and Kong might get me making abnormally high amounts of trips to theatres!
    Jason

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Too many good movies to watch this season! King Kong, Memoirs of a Geisha, Narnia, Syriana. Too bad I can't go to the theaters. I'll be buying a lot of movies this March when they come out on DVD.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

I saw it yesterday. I really didn't think it was that good (lapses in plot line, poor character development, second rate special effects, contrived feeling, etc.), but that's just my feeling. Most everyone else I know who saw it really liked the film. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood or maybe it was because I saw Kong a day or two before and Narnia paled in comparison for my tastes.
        Keith

Comment

• fordster
          • Feb 2005

I thought it was good but not amazing. My wife, however, thought it was fantastic. It's very true to the book so if you love the book you'll like the film. If not, you probably wont. IMHO the special effects were no more than adequate (by todays high standards) and I wasn't keen on Ray Winstone's performance as Mr Beaver. Worth going to see at the cinema though and it's not often I say that about a file these days.
          Dave

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Keith I've read elsewhere that some have found the picture to be soft or out of focus, while others said the pic was sharp as a tack. What did it look like at the theater where you saw Narnia ?
            My Homepage!

Comment

• dyazdani
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
              Keith I've read elsewhere that some have found the picture to be soft or out of focus, while others said the pic was sharp as a tack. What did it look like at the theater where you saw Narnia ?
              It did not look good when I went last weekend. It looked grainy and a little out of focus. I think it was mostly due to the operator's setup though. They were messing with it during the previews and IMO did not get it correct.

That said, I was able to get over it and enjoy the movie anyway!
              Danish

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by dyazdani
                It did not look good when I went last weekend. It looked grainy and a little out of focus. I think it was mostly due to the operator's setup though. They were messing with it during the previews and IMO did not get it correct.
                Far too common in theatres these days :evil:
                Jason

Comment

• Kens1
                  • Mar 2005

The picture looked very soft when I saw it and sometimes out of focus especially when the lion was on screen. However, my kids were eager to see it after they read the book - I still enjoyed it.

Comment

• cinema bob
                    • Apr 2005

it was sharp as a tack where i saw it. the theater is less than 6 months old, so maybe they haven't had time to screw it up yet

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

I haven't seen it yet, but my daughter has seen it and loved it. She is also reading the book and said it was very close to the book and would go to see it again.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Danbry39
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                        It was very soft where I saw it, George. That kind of worked in some scenes, but not overall. Also, the sound was played at a very low level and I had a hard time understanding some of the dialogue. Now, I can understand that my ears aren't as good as those of a young 'un, so I asked my 13 year old daughter after the movie and she had a hard time making out some of the dialogue as well. Maybe it was just the theater.
                        Keith

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

I've also read several good reviews, and would like to see it.

I'm still apprehensive, though, that Disney will make a secular film out of Lewis' deeply Christian allegories.
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• cinema bob
                            • Apr 2005

no need to worry chris. The film is incredibly close to lewis' books. I thought it was great.

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

I took the kids out on a rare trip for us to the Theater
                              to see this one!.
                              We were not disappointed. It was a really great movie!:yesnod:
                              Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Chris D
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Dec 2000

Just saw it here in the desert, finally. I was actually a bit disappointed. Good movie, but not great. I'd have to agree with several of Danbry's statements about some 2nd rate CGI, contrived feeling at parts, etc.

Oh, yes, I thought the little girl that played Lucy did a FANTASTIC job, probably the best actor/actress in the film!

But my biggest complaint was that as closely as they stuck to the original book (which they did) they just didn't do it enough, especially the deep, obvious allegory that C.S. Lewis wrote of Christ and his battle over Satan through the crucifixion and resurrection. It's not enough to create the movie in a way that "well, if you look for it from that perspective, you'll find it there". That only cheapens the original meaning. I felt that the crucifixion scene was not as meaningful and powerful as it could have been in keeping with the book. And especially, upon Aslan/Christ's resurrection, the Disney-esque "explanation" that the writers put in there from Aslan had me rolling my eyes. That scene right there is more important than any other concept in Lewis' story, and more importantly, the Bible and foundation of Christianity. Anytime you're telling a story about or an allegory to the Bible, you have to be VERY careful about accuracy and truthfulness. C.S. Lewis stretched it already just to create the fantasy Narnia world. Disney should not have stretched or diluted it any more.

I'll go see the other Narnia movies when they come out. Some of them get more cosmic, though, so it will be interesting to see how they get made.
                                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"