This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doogie
    • Apr 2007

Cool...thanks for the good feedback. At least I have plenty of areas to upgrade into as my audio components get better and better.

Thanks again,

Doug

Samsung HL-T6189S LED DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2400
    Denon DVD-3930CI
    NAD C272 Stereo Power Amp
    DirecTV HR20 HD DVR
    Sonus Faber Domus Grand Piano (main)
    Sonus Faber Piccolo Solo (center)
    Sonus Faber Concertino (surrounds)
    HSU STF-2 subwoofer
    Xbox 360
    Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• calmac
      • May 2005

What Al said ,
      Gordon

Comment

• Joey_V
        • Jul 2005

What's the consensus here with regards to the Concertino Domus (+ factory stands, if that makes a difference)?

Looking at those speakers or the Auditor... but like we all know, the Auditor is far more expensive.

Just looking for opinions because I have not yet heard the Concertino Domus (or any of the Domus actually)!

Joey
        Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
        Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
        System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Ron526
          • Oct 2006

SF/Sumiko is impressive

Hi,
          Went to HI-FI House in Jenkintown, PA for a SF ELIPSA demo.
          Had the opportunity to meet and speak with Don Brody of Sumiko.
          I was impressed by his enthusiasm for the product line. I was pleased at the amount of time he spent with me discussing everything from the "leather" used on the Domus line to teaching special ed students.
          One of my life goals is now to visit Italy and tour the SF facility.
          For the first time, I heard vinyl on a decent system. I know now what the "record" lovers are talking about. It was an amazing ear opener.
          I only own the Concertino Domus speakers but I feel they are the finest sounding and best looking speakers in their catagory.
          I am now an SF convert-and I like the philosophy of Sumiko.
          Oh, and I didn't know that REL is owned by Sumiko.
          Thanx for letting me ramble!

Comment

• Joey_V
            • Jul 2005

Ron,

YOu have the Domus line? Which ones? I am interested in this line and would like to get a pair of the bookshelves.
            System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Ron526
              • Oct 2006

Joeyv,
              I have the Concertino Domus, the least expensive of the SF line. Mine have the teak finish.
              Ron526

Comment

• Joey_V
                • Jul 2005

Ron,

What do you think of them and what else were you considering when you were purchasing speakers?

As my post a few replies above, I am looking at the Concertino Domus as a speaker for me.

Joey

Comment

• Joey_V
                  • Jul 2005

Nevermind... I just went out and listened to the Auditor vs Concertino Home.... and the Auditor vs the Cremona... both in full A/B sessions.

Comment

• Joey_V
                    • Jul 2005

Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor vs Concertino Domus

Equipment:
                    Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor - $3,900
                    Sonus Faber Concertino Domus - $1,495
                    Primare DVD30 Transport - $4,000
                    Theta Generation VIII DAC/PreAmp - $10,000
                    Hovland Radia Amp - $10,000

Introduction:
                    So we have here two of the three Sonus Faber bookshelves. The Concertino Domus stands as Sonus Faber's attempt to secure the lower end market by positioning a $1500 bookshelf firmly atop all others at its price range by borrowing trickle-down technologies from the famously popular Cremona Auditor. The Concertino Domus is supposedly an improvement over the previous Home series both in looks and in sound, we shall see if this judgement call is justified during this listening session.

On the other hand, we have the Cremona Auditor. A 2-way bookshelf that sits atop much praise and good reviews over the past several years since its introduction. The Auditor is a scaled down interpreter of the Sonus Faber tradition, as all the ads say, a miniaturized version of the Sonus Faber Cremona floorstander. Some listeners may even venture to state that the Auditor is a more precise speaker than even its bigger brother, thereby affording one the opportunity to take it one step further and possibly state that the Auditor is the best speaker in the Cremona range. Arguable, but the basis for such a conclusion is supposedly in the pudding.

This review, however, is not about how the Cremona Auditor stacks against the Cremona floorstander or whether the statements that the Auditor is better than the larger Cremona is founded on some ground. This review is about how the Concertino Domus stacks against the vaunted Cremona Auditor.

Preliminary:
                    The room was a rather medium/large room measuring about 17x17 feet. The room was well treated with bass traps in all corners and diffusors and absorbers in the calculated places along the walls and ceilings taming first reflections and further on. Both speakers were toed-in aggressively and situated in a triangle about 9 feet per side, equilateral in spread.

The tracks used to listen were from Luka Bloom a rather good audiophile recording, tracks 1 and 2 (Cold Comfort and True Blue) were repeatedly used during the review to truly assess the differences between the speakers. The speakers were A/Bed about 6 times throughout the review. Listening time was about 1 hour.

Concertino Domus, review:
                    Concertino Domus, started the shootout. Seemingly unphased by its larger, heftier, and more celebrated brother, the Concertino Domus began to stretch its legs. As Track 1 played, the guitar began on the right with clarity and a good semblance of coherence. As the vocalist emerged in the center of the soundstage, I noticed that the Concertino Domus displayed a decently focused image. The singer had some palpability and good extension. As the song progressed and the vocalist began to build energy, I began to notice a slight grain to the image. A bit of uncleanliness in the focus, a slight haze over the singer's vocal reproduction... although not harsh in character, the vocal reproduction was not reference caliber, I thought. In addition to the grain, there was a slight sibilance to the image... and a slight hollow echo feel to the vocal image.

Onwards to Track 2, True Blue, a slightly darker feel compared to Cold Comfort (Track 1) was conveyed in much of the same manner as Track 1 was reproduced. The vocals had good heft and decent density, but I could still detect a hint of grain, sibilance, and an echo of sorts. It was not bad at all, mind you, but definitely something to nitpick at when comparing to reference speakers that I've heard. In addition, Track 2 confirmed my suspicions of some minor incoherence with respect to the reproduction of instruments. I could not completely picture the instruments with the ease that I'm accustomed to.

Concertino Domus, overall impression:
                    Brighter than the Auditor, slight grain and incoherent at times if measured against reference.
                    ***1/4

Cremona Auditors, review:
                    Cremona Auditors were next, let's see what over 2.5x the price gets us. Track 1 was displayed with better realism. The Auditors had a better image focus, better density in the vocalist's image, and better sense of instrument placement. The soundstage was more dynamic and rather than being all of compressed dynamic range, the stage's instruments were more free of this constraint that I found to be evident in the Concertino Domus' earlier presentation. Track 2 confirmed my conclusions as it was reproduced with more realism, more meat, more GUSTO, more LIFE. Life, to me, means that the vocalist does not have evident grain nor does it have any distracting triggers like an echo or an overly bright presentation.... more like reality.

Track 2, being a darker song, conveyed an undeniably dense vocal image which, unlike the Concertino Domus, actually projected into the room.. much as a real singer would in real life. This volumetric effect, as I call it, was definitely a key characteristic of the many reference speakers I've heard, and it was in the Auditor's arsenal in spades. In addition, I noted better coherence when it came to positioning instruments as a whole rather than bits of pieces as was portrayed by the Concertino Domus of earlier.

Cremona Auditor, overall impression:
                    Definitely reference caliber for the most part. Does not have the range of the larger Cremona floorstanders.

Conclusion:
                    This review may, at first, seem like a slam on the Concertino Domus, but it is not my intent. The Concertino Domus, in this review, is held against speakers of reference caliber. I wanted to get a feel for how the Concertino Domus truly stacks up, so I held back no punches. I wanted to see if I could get away with reference caliber music reproduction at nearly 1/3 the price of the Auditor... and the conclusion is simply: no.

There is more to the Auditor than simply meets the eye. There is just more dynamics, more bite, more density to the aural images, more palpability... simply more LIFE to the sound. The two may share the same house sound baseline, but the Auditor is simply a more enhanced and polished version of the Concertino Domus.

More importantly, you're probably wondering about the bottom line... is the Auditor worth the extra cash?

In my opinion, yes.

BUT, there's a caveat... and I will disclose this caveat with my next review: Cremona vs Cremona Auditor (A/B comparison). Stay tuned!

Joey :T
                    Last edited by Joey_V; 23 May 2007, 22:53 Wednesday.

Comment

• Ron526
                      • Oct 2006

Joey,
                      Interesting review. There is a benefit to being 65 years old, the ears ain't what they used to be.
                      I think from your review it is good that I try not to listen to better or reference speakers to often.
                      It is often said ignorance is bliss (read as most decent speakers sound good to old ears).
                      It would be nice to have better quality speakers. My current speakers are B&W 602, 601, LCR60, ASW600, all S3, and I really enjoy them.
                      Oh, and I won the SFs. I hope my good fortune doesn't cause me to get a second mortgage.
                      Regards, Ron526

Comment

• Joey_V
                        • Jul 2005

Ron,

I wish I won the SF Concertino Domus....

Comment

• jim777
                          • Mar 2005

Thanks Joey, nice review!

I might schedule a listen of a Cremona this summer so I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the full range vs auditor.

I would also be happy if you PM me about your impressions on your PS audio DLIII. I might get one for computer duties.. (I say PM because I don't want to hijack the SF thread..)

Comment

• jim777
                            • Mar 2005

More options... the new Cremona M (for Modified) is annonced!

Elipsa/Hommage technologies trickled down => paper/wood midrange, stradivari-like bass drivers, etc.

It looks like the price will remain in the same range.

Scroll down a few pages for big pics...

And some info (throw it in altavista translate if you need to)

Comment

• Joey_V
                              • Jul 2005

I wonder if they are getting a new Cremona Auditor...

Oh... and the price goes up another 10%.

Comment

• jim777
                                • Mar 2005

New Auditor in september if I read ok.

Prices going up isn't that bad, because the price of my amp model went up at least 20% in the two years since I have it, that means that I could sell my used one for more than if the new one was now 20% cheaper

Comment

• jim777
                                  • Mar 2005

Anyone tried the "Cremona Active Subwoofer" with one of the Cremona's?

"Aesthetically complementary and sonically compatible with Cremona, Auditor and Center for use in reference music or film sound systems."

Comment

• Joey_V
                                    • Jul 2005

Jim777...
                                    Never heard the Cremona sub, but I haven't heard much about Sonus Faber subwoofers, I might have to say that we leave the subwoofin' to the experts like JL Audio, Velodyne, REL, etc...

Good news though... I just bought a pair of the Cremona Auditors w/ pseudo-obligatory stands and I will be taking delivery shortly. I should stick with these until the Auditor Ms come out and then... well you know the drill.

Oh.... and I will PM you regarding the PS Audio DAC soon.

Joey

Comment

• macgiollarua
                                      • May 2007

just picked up cremona

Hi guys, new member here.
                                      Just bought a pair of pre owned cremona, arrived yesterday. Speakers are about a year old but were in a second home and are not broken in yet.
                                      How long should the break in take?
                                      I was very tempted to go with the auditor but I already had monitors and wanted to try full range for orchestral works. I am using these with a rel strata III sub. i also just ordered the ps audio dac, so please give a review joeyv.

Any advice or direction would be welcome.
                                      thanks
                                      macgiollarua

Comment

• Bostonears
                                        • Mar 2004

Anybody here ever run a pair of Concertinos (original cabinet, not Domus) laying on their sides horizontally on a bookshelf? If so, how did they sound? Any particular issues to watch out for?

I'm considering doing this one of my rooms, and it occurred to me that the sloping front baffle could be used to create a "toe in" effect with the speakers in that position, by keeping the rear of the cabinets parallel to the back wall, letting the fronts angle in.

Comment

• Lex
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Apr 2001

hmm, where have I been sleeping.

Boston, I think the question you have to ask is... Is any speaker designed to lay down on it's side? While if it's on a bookshelf, you are going to make sacrifices anyway in audio quality, so it will be ok, as long as your expectations are not to high.

But the Concertinos generally need a little help to sound their best and get them to image properly, I got to tell you what you want to do is not it-

Doug
                                          Doug
                                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bostonears
                                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Lex
                                            But the Concertinos generally need a little help to sound their best and get them to image properly, I got to tell you what you want to do is not it-
                                            Hi Doug,

I don't necessarily expect the speakers to sound their best, but for the room in question, there isn't any place to put them on stands out into the room. Given that the speakers are going to be up against a wall one way or another, my question is really about laying them horizontally vs. vertically. I'm going to try it when I get a few hours to spend reconfiguring shelves, but in the meantime, I was just wondering if anyone had done it and had particulary good or bad results. I guess I'll find out.

Comment

• jim777
                                              • Mar 2005

Surprise !

AudioReview è il sito della rivista dedicata all'audio hi-fi e video.

Comment

• Bostonears
                                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by jim777
                                                Honey, they've shrunk the Stradivari again!

For those of us who don't speak Italian, here's the Babelfish translation:

"Auditor elipsa is a new and totally unknown Sonus diffuser faber, characterized from some characteristics of the all particular. The Cremona line needed of a compact diffuser that acted as from posterior channel in the installations multichannel, with the possibility to be comfortably fixed to wall, and is just to this requirement that Auditor elipsa comes encounter; it would be however reductive to liquidate this plan like a simple posterior channel; during its development, in fact, those attentions have been profuse all that we dedicate to every our plan adding to you an ulterior objective: to create a diffuser poured them, of easy I at the same time use but fortified of great class. This precisazione is of obligation in order to clear how much Auditor elipsa is not a mere destined accessory to the systems multichannel, how much, rather, a diffuser planned for all those lovers of music who wish to enjoy all the Sonus quality faber without to drive crazy in complicated operations of putting to point posizionandolo, as an example, simply in one bookcase. The Auditor name elipsa betrays already many of the peculiar characteristics of this plan; it is dealt, in fact, of a using small two ways the same loudspeakers of Auditor M but this time implement to you in a cabinet to elliptic plant, analogous to how much happen for Elipsa. A lot gia has been said of the cabinet to ellipse, riproposto here in reduced scale, and of the benefits that bring in terms of pennellati tridimensionalità and corposità of the executory ones in the tavolozza sonorous. It can be added that the effectiveness of this geometry has been head, during the development of the diffuser, using it in "the extreme" conditions for which it has been planned, it is worth to say posizionato in one bookcase with least air to its shoulders; hour, if one excludes, obviously, that the development in depth of the obtained sonorous scene was not sure from supremacy, the amplitude of the same one, the "fisicità that united characterized single the executory ones to the ability to the Auditor elipsa" to disappear ", has supplied turns out to you astounded to you. The loudspeakers dedicate to you to Auditor elipsa are the ring tweeter common to all the plans of the new line Cremona, a driver extraordinarily airy, precise and sturdiest. The heart of the system however is represented from the exclusive loudspeaker from 15 cm developed together to Scan-speak, employed in one version mid-woofer, characterized here from the same cone, a paste of cellulose and fiber of wood, present, anch' it, in all the models of the new Cremona series. After all draft of the same loudspeakers is employed to you in Auditor M. The net of cross-over of Auditor elipsa has been implemented following the criterion of the maximum circuita semplicità trying them however to maximize the efficiency and to obtain one curve of stiffness lacking in although minimal avallamento, to the aim to render Auditor elipsa extremely easy to manage from the greater possible number of amplifiers. From the sonorous point of view it is continuation, like of habit, the way master of long the sitting of I listen integrated with verifications orchestrates them times, for more, to try confirmation approximately the goodness of how much our orecchie suggested to us. Auditor elipsa is therefore an unknown plan that has allowed us to catch up an ulterior one and, for sure backs, unknown goal: the versatilità of positioning and the facility of use in all those not etichettabili situations like "rigidly audiophile", let alone, naturally, to supply to the new Cremona line a posterior diffuser to attack to the wall to the height of the situation. It turns out you of the tests of I listen you execute yourself it is in multichannel, it is with the Auditor elipsa in configuration stereo, posizionate in a bookcase and piloted from small systems of class, have been strange to us for the immediacy, the wealth and the heat of their sound, united to the amplitude and fisicità of the scenografie of I listen for generated they through. The Cremona series counts an other authoritative one and of the all particular exponent. The price to the public the comprehensive brace of Vat is of 3.700,00 euro (is not previewed some dedicated stand). The diffuser will be introduced to the Audio Top of Milan 2007 and will be available in the storees from the end of September 2007."

Comment

• NOCAL
                                                  • Aug 2007

New Member - Just Giving my system opinions

Hi, I just found this forum so thought i would give a short intro. to my system in case anybody has any questions about my setup, which seems to be unique from the forum so far:

L&R: Domus Grand Piano
                                                  Center: Cremono Center
                                                  Amp: McIntosh MC207 (7 ch., 200 watt into 4 ohm or 8 ohm)
                                                  Surround L, R: Mirage HTD-CM1 (8" three-way ceiling)
                                                  Surround Back L, R: Speaker Craft AIM Wide three( 8" pivotable speaker with 2-tweeters and 2-mid)
                                                  Receiver: (acting as Pre/Pro until a decent HDMI 1.3a, w/DTS-MAHd, and
                                                  Dolby True HD prepros come out later this year) Pioneer Elite
                                                  VSX81TXV
                                                  Sub: Mirage 12"
                                                  Plasma: Pioneer Elite 1140 (50")

I have a pretty big bright room. 16' W x 23'L x 11'H (and the back of the room, the 23' space is pretty open to another room. I really enjoy the GP's. Like many reviews they are "dark" or warm as some have described. Even moody. But my choice was two fold. 1) Beauty, since my wife's consent was involved. 2.) sound-and they fit my large room that has lots of windows and plaster walls/ceiling and hardwood floors.

I also originally had the GP center for 30 days. I found in my room and next to the GP L&R that they were undersized. This seems pretty typical of speaker manufacturers who originally had great stereo speakers then have added a center channel. The GP center just was small and hollow in sound. I upgraded to the Cremona Center (Magnolia AV gives a free 30 day trial). The Cremona actually matches the the size of the GP's in woofer and midrange drivers. The Cremona box is deeper than the GP's though. But is an incredible center channel (and it should be since it cost nearly as much as the GP's and is about 70 lbs. I use my system for 65-70% HT. I mean the voices and other audio put thru the center is really realistic and incredible. I have found that for stereo music sources i will listen in 7ch. stereo so I get the Cremona to punch in and really fill out the sound image and deliver magnificient vocals. I also have to mention that due to my room circumstances i have ceiling speakers for the surrounds. But my goodness. The mirage speakers are unbelievable as a ceiling speaker for a round 8" three way.

To those who run their SF on a receiver: i originally used my Pioneer Elite mentioned above (@ 110 watts/ch.), then got a separate amp. First, since most of SF larger speakers are 4 ohm, most receivers are really working and heating up in a 7 channel setup. Second, the McIntosh amp really cleaned up and brought out some other audio I hd not really perceived before. I hope to upgrade my Receiver (now just a pre/pro) and finish this system with finese and clarity within the next year as more HT surround processors enter the market meeting HDMI 1.3a standards with all the bells and wistles for satellite radio, internet streaming, THX and HD Dolby and DTS decoding, etc....

Well, not to get too in depth, that's my two cents. Again, as has been said by so many-it is all personal taste and each venue is soooo different. I am very happy.

Comment

• jim777
                                                    • Mar 2005

Thanks NOCAL, and welcome to the HTGUIDE club!!

Comment

• RedWolf
                                                      • Sep 2007

I am very interested in the GUARNERI MEMENTO. It they are what the website says I would be willing to go with them in the fronts and surrounds. Problem is, how do they sound, are people happy with them. They still use silk in the world of diamond, beryllium and aluminum tweeters. However, if it works I will no question, so does it work and work well? Space is a huge concern for me so I only consider small speakers with minimal footprint. I would love everyone’s opinion before I ask my dealer to customer order some for a demo.

I looked at the Magico Mini and quickly said no when; number one they do not come in any other color no matter how much I begged so they just will not do in a room filled with mahogany, cherry and dark wool fabrics and I do not have the time to sand them down and restain them myself. (Would probably ruin the warrant as well and they honestly are not all that ”mini”.)

Comment

• Bostonears
                                                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by RedWolf
                                                        I am very interested in the GUARNERI MEMENTO. It they are what the website says I would be willing to go with them in the fronts and surrounds. Problem is, how do they sound, are people happy with them. They still use silk in the world of diamond, beryllium and aluminum tweeters. However, if it works I will no question, so does it work and work well? Space is a huge concern for me so I only consider small speakers with minimal footprint. I would love everyone’s opinion before I ask my dealer to customer order some for a demo.
                                                        Guarneri Memento as fronts would certainly be an excellent choice, but as surrounds!? That would be major overkill. I guess if you've got $15,000 to spend on a pair of surrounds, more power to you.

Comment

• RedWolf
                                                          • Sep 2007

Thanks for the comment Bostonears. So I take it you recomend the speakers. Do you think they have any drawbacks? I am looking for a truly balanced sound all around and would be comfortable with smaller surrounds if they match in timbre. I not about just spending money but I am after a goal. I am looking for that quantum leap from the B&W 805 I own, somthing close to the Lumen White limited or the Nola grand reference or the Magico Mini (of course only if they stained that ugly cabinet - we all dont live in LA - jes). My budget is not set but admit to looking at systems up to 100k. My constraint is space. I am not buying a bigger apartment just to fit larger speakers. There has to be someone out there that has pushed all the engineering limits into a compact space and sonus faber always has that silky just purely listenable sound. But do they work only well with tubes?

Comment

• Tommy
                                                            • Dec 2006

Forum referral deleted by admin.

There are 2 new "lower end" monitors from SF that you may want to check out too. They are the Auditor M and the Auditor Elipsa. No one has heard these 2 yet becuase they are not available at the moment.

Comment

• Bostonears
                                                              • Mar 2004

A pair of Cremona Auditors (or the new Auditor M) would probably do quite nicely as surrounds, with a price tag of about $5K. The Auditor speakers are like baby Guarneri's, and sonically they should match very well. Both are even available in the same graphite finish. But the Auditors stands aren't as tall and are a very different style from the Guarneri stands, so the visual mix might be a little weird.

I have not heard the Guarneri Mementos, although I did once hear a set of the original Guarneri's, which were fabulous. I don't recall what electronics were driving them, but since Sonus Faber speakers tend to sound on the lush side anyway, tube amps shouldn't be necessary.

If you've got the money for two sets of Guarneri's, you really can't go wrong with those. I wish I could afford just one pair for my stereo rig, never mind two pairs for home theater.

Comment

• tonych31
                                                                • Sep 2004

Sonus Domus partner with B&W 685

Got the domus grand piano as my main speaker and domus center running through Rotel 1068 and Arcam P90 power amp. It is complemented by REL Strata 3 sub. Recently I have replaced my surround speaker with the new B&W 685 and what a difference it made. It just complement each other especially when I set the Rotel Pro to 5 channel. Now even if I listen to CD, I still set it to 5 channel.
                                                                It is a great combination.

Comment

• wchek
                                                                  • Oct 2007

SF Concertino Domus matching

I am looking for suitable amp and sub to match with the SF Concertino Domus main speakers for my 2-ch music and HT system.

Is the Rotel 06 series (RCD06 cd player, RC06 pre, RB06 power amp) sufficient to unleash the full potential of the Concertino?

For sub, i am looking at REL Quake or Velodyne VX10. Which one is a better match with the Concertino?

Please advise

Comment

• handeeguy
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2007

Hello,
                                                                    I am new to the forum but have enjoyed the comments and advice todate and would like to ask for an opinion. I want to upgrade from my GP Domus to Cremona's. I have auditioned the Cremonas and I have found that they give a better response range, slightly more detail and a larger soundstage than my present speakers. I have also seen used Amatis Homage online costing a little more than new Cremonas. I have also auditioned the Amatis Anniversario and enjoyed the experience but they are out of my price range. My question is do you think that the Cremonas are a good move up and how do they compare to the older Amatis. Which would be a better choice if I am willing to pay $2k more than the price of new Cremonas for a pair of used Amatis Homage.

My current system is as follows:
                                                                    Musical Fidelity A5 CD player
                                                                    Krell HTS 7.1 pre/pro
                                                                    Krell TAS amp
                                                                    Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• Seabrook
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2007

Am new to the forum. In the process of upgrading my system and am considering SFGPs with the domus center, REL 350 sub. Any advise on ceiling mount surrounds? Have also been looking at B&W 703s. I prefer these to the 804s as they appear to be more tame for my taste. Dealer states that SFGPs lack sound from the tweeter and that the B&Ws provide truer sound. Any comments on SF vs B&W? Also need some help with av receiver or amp/pre-amp. One SF dealer suggested a Denon av receiver (I have been reading less than positive things about the combo). Also considering Rotel 1069 pre and 1085 amp when available. Budget for receiver or amp/pre-amp combo is about $4k. Any comments on the combination or other suggestions? Thanks.

Comment

• NOCAL
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2007

Ceiling Surround Speakers

I originally had the SFGP's, but now have the LRC Cremona. My LR surround and Back LR surround are ceiling mounts. I highly recommend one of two options, and I don't have a priority for either.

SpeakerCraft Wide series. They (round) come with an 8" woofer and two midrange and two tweeters. The entire assembly can be rotated and tilted up to 30 degrees for directionality. Very good speakers.

Mirage HTCM1- (round) not directional, but I like the sound a hair more than the speaker craft.

Check out the websites for each of the companies.

As a side note. One of the best center channels I have heard for realistic sound are the Cremona Center. Not cheap, but you really feel like you are in a theater.

Comment

• Seabrook
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2007

NOCAL - Thanks for the input on the ceiling speakers. Don't know if I want to tempt myself with the Cremona Center

Comment

• Hamblis
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2007
                                                                            • 14

Amplificationn for SF Guarneri Homage

I've moved this to a new thread in the Audio Hideout area.

Steve
                                                                            Last edited by Hamblis; 18 December 2007, 08:38 Tuesday. Reason: Moved question to Audio Hideout area

Comment

• markjrho
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Sep 2005
                                                                              • 34

#83
                                                                              Cremona Auditor vs. Grand Piano Domus

Has anyone compared these two speakers? I have heard the Grand Piano's, but want to know how they stack up against the Auditors, which the dealer does not have on display.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

#84
                                                                                They look gorgeous but was disappointed in the sound!
                                                                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• handeeguy
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2007
                                                                                  • 4

#85
                                                                                  Hello everyone,
                                                                                  I have a question. I just purchased a set of used Cremona floorstanders and I was wondering if there are any setup tips/instruction on setting them up properly to get the best sound and performance. Can I do it myself or do I have to have someone from a local dealer come in. Thank you in advance

Comment

• jim777
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2005
                                                                                    • 831

#86
                                                                                    Careful placement of the Cremona's will make a huge difference. If your dealer has been trained by the distributor (sumiko), it is worth getting their help.

Comment

• Tamas
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 22

#87
                                                                                      I am looking to find out how well the Domus center would match Linn Ninkas. I would like to have a 3 way center. I am unable to listen to the Domus unless I travel 2.5 hours one way.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,

Tom

Comment

• Lex
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Apr 2001
                                                                                        • 27461

#88
                                                                                        intermatching Sonus faber to Linn would have to be a trial and error event. I am unfamiliar with Linn Ninkas, so am not sure what sound you'd be looking for. If you want warm, an older Solo center might even be to your liking. Either way, no one that has not auditioned these together will be in a position to say much other than general, yes, open sounding, or forward sounding, laid back, etc...
                                                                                        Doug

Comment

• Tamas
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 22

#89
                                                                                          Thanks for the reply Lex. I am looking for, warm sounding, not chesty, but I find that some male vocals become thin sounding with the current center - Linn 5120.

Comment

• Lex
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Apr 2001
                                                                                            • 27461

#90
                                                                                            I have really enjoyed my Solo center. To my ears, it performs quite well driven by Proceed AMP5. But the Solo is a bit old now, not sure if you can find one separate from Concert series speakers. I use mine with Extrema, and the match seems fairly nice.
                                                                                            Doug

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"