X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpina
    • Nov 2005

Club Bryston

With the creation of Club Classe, any chance of having a similar one for Bryston lovers? I'm new to the Bryston family but noticed that there are many fans/owners of the gear here and would love to see a club dedicated to the brand

Just a thought

Cheers,

Julie
    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880
  • maddog
    • Oct 2003

Bryston Limited
    Last edited by maddog; 18 September 2012, 01:23 Tuesday.

Comment

• PavelL
      • Sep 2005

Seems like nothing to discuss here. The best amp there is. Period. Thread closed :W

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Julie,

Let's give it a fly shall we... I have made it a sticky to see what happens

Keep posting to see if there is enough interest and it can stay (I too know there are lots of Byston owners as members of the guide

I suggest you put some comments on on your equipment etc. that adds some content for people to build on.

Geoff

Comment

• alpina
          • Nov 2005

thanks geoff,

well, i desperately want to know any gossip about when bryston will release their cd transport and hdmi version of the sp2 i desperately want to purchase the sp2 now but am desperately fighting the urge and seeing if i can wait for the upgrade

loved bryston gear for many years and have recently purchased a 4b sst & 6b sst.

come on guys, lets give club bryston a whirl

julie
          My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• Adz
            • Jan 2004

SP2 and 6BSST Owner.

The 6BSST is perfect for home theater - 300++wpc across the front three soundstage in one unit.

The SP1.7 sometimes got knocked for its surround performance. The SP2 is definitely an improvement all around. And most importantly what it gives you is a dead quiet background. Noise floor nonexistent. I haven't heard anything like it yet. Truly remarkable.
            Adz

Comment

• alpina
              • Nov 2005

adz,

do you run balanced lines from/to your bryston gear or rca's?

cheers,

julie

Comment

• alpina
                • Nov 2005

welcome to our cozy group adz

cheers,

julie

Comment

• Adz
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by alpina
                  welcome to our cozy group adz

cheers,

julie
                  Balanced 5.1, Then RCA for the two rear channels.
                  Adz

Comment

• alpina
                    • Nov 2005

come on guys,

where are all the other bryston users? surely this group is not limited to just adz and i?

please post and lets give this thread some legs

cheers,

julie

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2006

SP-2 and 9BST at the moment.

Kal
                      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                        SP-2 and 9BST at the moment.

Kal
                        What do you think about it compared to the classe stuff Kal?

Adam,

where are you using the NuForce stuff in your system? Have you compared the 6b to the ref9's? I am seriously thinking of getting a 9b for my back speakers, and then either a 6b or a classe 5200 for the front 3 speakers. so others can participate, I have b&w N802's for l/r, b&w nhtm1 for c, and 4 b&W Nscm1's for surround and rear. I am using an sp2 for the pre and currently have ref9's for my front soundstage.

dan
                        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                          • Mar 2005

Bryston 6B-ST owner here. Have it in my main system. I'm using a BP-25 preamp in my 2 channel system in the family room.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                            What do you think about it compared to the classe stuff Kal?
                            Dunno. The Brystons are in the country system/room and all I have of Classe is the power amp in the city system/room.

Kal
                            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Adz
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sikoniko
                              Adam,

where are you using the NuForce stuff in your system? Have you compared the 6b to the ref9's? I am seriously thinking of getting a 9b for my back speakers, and then either a 6b or a classe 5200 for the front 3 speakers. so others can participate, I have b&w N802's for l/r, b&w nhtm1 for c, and 4 b&W Nscm1's for surround and rear. I am using an sp2 for the pre and currently have ref9's for my front soundstage.

dan
                              Nuforce powers my 4 surround speakers which are Def Tech BPVXs (each surround has four 6.5" inch drivers and two 1" tweeters :T ) and the Ref9 drives them admirably. I need some time to do a really detailed listening of the Ref 9s against the 6B upfront though.
                              Adz

Comment

• alpina
                                • Nov 2005

SP2 - BUY NOW OR WAIT?

what should i do guys - buy the sp2 now or wait till hdmi version is released?

really should be a poll question

with no release date planned for hdmi version the waiting time is killing me

julie

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2003

Julie,

Buy it now and then update to the HDMI version when it comes. Bryston have a proud history of offering upgrades to their processors. I believe even the SP 1.7s can be upgraded to the SP 2.0s

From memory Parsound also offer a separate 5 into 1 HDMI siwtcher if you are desparate. This can work in parallel with the SP2

Geoff

Comment

• alpina
                                    • Nov 2005

hi geoff,

i know bryston are very good with upgrades but this will definitely be a very costly upgrade - hdmi plus all the new audio formats which will go hand in hand with them

julie

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                                      • Mar 2005

If you can wait, I would wait. Meridian offers upgrade paths with some of their products. But when you do the math, it works out being more expensive doing the upgrade than just buying the newer version. And not by a small margin I may add. The upgrade paths are for those who have bought their gear already and for them it makes a bit more sense to pay the money for the upgrade.

I would assume the same situation would apply here.

Comment

• alebonau
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ZX10 Guy
                                        If you can wait, I would wait. Meridian offers upgrade paths with some of their products. But when you do the math, it works out being more expensive doing the upgrade than just buying the newer version. And not by a small margin I may add. The upgrade paths are for those who have bought their gear already and for them it makes a bit more sense to pay the money for the upgrade.

I would assume the same situation would apply here.
                                        I'd say the same too.

keep in mind to if over in somewhere like oz how is the upgrade done ?. do you ship back to bryston(which is costly and takes time) or does some local tech(unknown quantity?) mess around with it instead.

keep in mind to with somethign as major as an hdmi/processor update, there are enough issues with hdmi as it is in regards support/compatibility/versions, a new unit is likely to be more tried/test/sorted than an older unit with a tack on module with additions/modifications.

if you can wait then you can weigh up the costs/issues of buying an older unit and upgradign or buying new instead. Its quite likely too that once the hdmi versions land quite likely for quite a few non hdmi versions to start popping up all over the place.
                                        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• alpina
                                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by alebonau
                                          keep in mind to if over in somewhere like oz how is the upgrade done ?. do you ship back to bryston(which is costly and takes time) or does some local tech(unknown quantity?) mess around with it instead.
                                          yes, it goes back to bryston - i asked that question

the waiting game is so hard. having said that i have had 2 bryston amps for about 2 months now that are yet to be taken out of the box

julie

Comment

• sikoniko
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by alpina
                                            yes, it goes back to bryston - i asked that question

the waiting game is so hard. having said that i have had 2 bryston amps for about 2 months now that are yet to be taken out of the box

julie

Julie,

Can't you plug them into your existing receiver/pre? does it not have the analog outputs to allow you to use an external amp? most do these days. If it doesn't, what you might want to do is buy a sub $500 receiver that does support it, and you are willing to take the loss on, so you can use your brystons.

It seems you continue to ask this same question on every board that discusses bryston. there is no reason why, if you buy the bryston now, you can't use the analog inputs for hd/bd dvd. what is your need for the pre to have the hdmi switcher today? it seems to me, that the new dvd format is the only thing to take advantage of it. are you planning to be an early adopter? if not, then just get a monoprice hdmi switcher for $125 for the time being and don't worry about it. hdmi is not a must have, it is a convenience.

Comment

• alpina
                                              • Nov 2005

hi sikoniko,

don't misunderstand me. Its not like i have all this gear and cant do anything because im waiting for a pre-pro

currently running all our gear through a yamaha z9 with a 9b and dynaudio speakers. ultimately we will unbox the 6b and 4b and purchase a pre-pro for our main system and relocate the 9b and dynaudio to our home office setup.

we are an early adopter of new technologies, hoping to upgrade our 5060 pioneer to the new 1080p version once it becomes available.

we are currently completing our renovations which gives me another good reason to be patient.

cheers

julie

Comment

• Bigcity2001
                                                • Jul 2006

Hello all, new member here.
                                                I bought a 4bST thru Audiogon several months ago. Everytime I turned off the amp, my speakers will make a noticeable "pop" sound. Flipping the ground on / off switch won't make any difference. Should I be concerned about this? Thanks in advance for your comment.

Byron

Comment

• alpina
                                                  • Nov 2005

hi bigcity,

welcome aboard

i doubt it is normal as i dont experience that on my amps. Whether you should be concerned i guess it depends if the pop is loud enough to damage the speakers?

are you using a dedicated power circuit for the amp? if not, is it possible that there is a problem with the circuit?

i recall there being an related issue (ie, popping sound) like this with the sp2 but that was software related and byrston have since issued updated firmware to fix it. of course, this would not apply to amps.

let us know how you go

julie

Comment

• Glen B
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Bigcity2001
                                                    Hello all, new member here.
                                                    I bought a 4bST thru Audiogon several months ago. Everytime I turned off the amp, my speakers will make a noticeable "pop" sound. Flipping the ground on / off switch won't make any difference. Should I be concerned about this? Thanks in advance for your comment.

Byron
                                                    Could be anything, including a failing or bad part in the speaker relay circuit. Try posting your question in the solid state forum at diyAudio (is that okay Lex ?).

The good folks there may be able to give you expert advice. I recently acquired a vintage SAE amp with a loud turn on/turn off pop. By implementing modifications to the amp's protection relay driver circuit suggested by members at diyAudio, I was able to fix the problem -- the result of a design flaw in that particular model. :T

Comment

• Bigcity2001
                                                      • Jul 2006

Thanks, I will try the diyforum...

Prior to the Bryston 4B ST, I used a Classe CA-101 to drive the front LR. I didn't have any "pop" sound. So, I think it may be the Bryston...I will switch the amp again and see if it will resolve this.

Thanks.

Byron

Comment

• will1066
                                                        • Aug 2003

I've been running a 4BSST C-series for a little over a year.

I get the speaker pop from time to time. You shouldn't worry about it. It doesn't cause any damage.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Ahh, club bryston..... or something.
                                                          Happy bryston owner here with a pair of 7bs, and now am looking for a 3ch amp for the rest of the system

More then likely a processor to go along with it.
                                                          B&W

Comment

• alpina
                                                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                            Ahh, club bryston..... or something.
                                                            Happy bryston owner here with a pair of 7bs, and now am looking for a 3ch amp for the rest of the system

More then likely a processor to go along with it.
                                                            sounds like you need a 6b

julie

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Haha, that would rock, would be perfect for the HTM1, but im afraid a bit much for the rears (SCM1 when I can find a pair)
                                                              B&W

Comment

• Hallett
                                                                • Jun 2006

I got my 4B -sst today what a tank.
                                                                Classe ssp-600
                                                                Classe CA-M400 Monoblocks
                                                                Classe CDP-100
                                                                B&W 802D :T ;x(
                                                                Velodyne DD-18 :T

Comment

• Armbender
                                                                  • Jul 2005

Another happy Bryston owner here running a 4BSST and Powerpac 300SSST for my B&W 600 series.

My wife and I love it so much we just decided to name our newborn Bryston. Everybody loves it.

Is that weird
                                                                  Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• Hallett
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2006

I need some help i just ordered a bryston sp-2,to go with my bryston4b-sst
                                                                    speakers are b&W 804'S sub is a velodyne DD-15. i need a cd player now
                                                                    what do you think would work well with this sys. there is no high end dealers
                                                                    around here . looking at used players like (arcam) (musical fidelity) or others
                                                                    any idea's would be great & appreciated.

thank's for your help Bob.
                                                                    Last edited by Hallett; 09 October 2006, 08:03 Monday.
                                                                    Classe ssp-600
                                                                    Classe CDP-100

Comment

• alpina
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2005

congratulations hallett,

my sp2 arrived today i too plan on running 804 fronts

im currently running a cambridge audio 540c and am quiet pleased with the result. i think i might consider the bryston cd option when they release it, depending on how it sounds

cheers,

julie

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2003

congrats on making the plunge Julie!

The ayre cx7e is a great CDP.

Comment

• sirbogey
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2006

I was considering upgrading from my Rotel stuff to Bryston amps. I auditioned the SST amps 3B, 4B, and 14B last Friday. The 3B sounded very metallic and literally quite annoying. The 4B sounded more like it and was very close to my Rotel RMB 1075. The 14B was by far the best sounding amp, but I can't justify the price tag compared to my Rotels. Will have to think about it...

The shop I was auditioning is called Cornflake and is here in London. What a dump! The guy was losing his pants all the time ops: That was just too much.. I'm wondering how Bryston choses their retail shops?! The guy had to install 2 speakers, which took him 15mins already, then he struggled with the speakers for the full hour. All I could hear was the left speaker for like 15mins. He used really crappy speaker cables and a £5K CD player :T :twisted: :B

Now to the pricing issue: he wants £5K for the 14B SST, while I could buy it in the States for $5K (approx half the price). Sound like a free lunch for somebody in the food chain. I do understand the importing duty, tax, VAT etc... but this is bit ridiculous! :rofl:

Comment

• Hallett
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2006
                                                                            • 102

Any news when the Bryston cd player might be out.
                                                                            thanks .
                                                                            Classe ssp-600
                                                                            Classe CDP-100

Comment

• alpina
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2005
                                                                              • 276

#39
                                                                              gotten tired of asking hallet - soon i hope

everything seems to have gone quiet on the cd front of late

julie

Comment

• Hallett
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jun 2006
                                                                                • 102

#40
                                                                                Well i got tired of waiting bought a classe :
                                                                                Classe ssp-600
                                                                                Classe CDP-100

Comment

• clewlor
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2006
                                                                                  • 19

#41
                                                                                  Hi all,

I have a Bryston 4b sst that I use combined with some Dynaudio speakers. I am looking to add a 5-channel amp for HT (center, 4 surrounds). Would the Rotel 1095 be a good match if I don't have the budget for the 9B? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Comment

• will1066
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2003
                                                                                    • 660

#42
                                                                                    Speaking of Bryston 4B SST driving Dynaudios...

My Bryston's now pushing Special Twenty-Five's

I'm using a Rotel 1075 for my center and 2 surrounds, btw

Comment

• alpina
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2005
                                                                                      • 276

#43
                                                                                      very nice setup will

any news on bryston's upcoming DAC or CD player?

cheers,

julie

Comment

• will1066
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2003
                                                                                        • 660

#44
                                                                                        Thanks.

Don't know of any Bryston news, sorry. Better off not knowing right now, as I've just scratched my upgraditis itch.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                                          • 2299

#45
                                                                                          I read that the CDP will be announced for sale at CES.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"