X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raider
    • Dec 2004

P5 statement

I was at my local dealer and was looking to upgrade my amps
    to the krell line when my dealer pointed me in the direction of the anthem P5 8O .
    i was quite impressed with the build quality .
    He quoted me 5000.00 for the unit.
    First question,Has any one here have any experience with this amp,
    reliablity,sound quality(which i don"t think this is an issue at this price mark) and is this a fair price.
    Any imput would be appreciated as this is a large investment
    Thanxs :T
    It Is What It Is 8)
  • LEVESQUE
    • Oct 2002

I bought a P5 the first day it came out last year.

The P5 is a multi-mono modular design where each channel has its own transformer and dual power plugs, going from 325 to 500 watts from 8 to 4 ohms - and that spec requires connection to separate electrical circuits. 150 pounds, 2 power cords monster.

We I first try it, we did run 5 Paradigm Studio-100 speakers FULL range at insanely high db levels, and it wasn't even sweating. We also tried the Parasound Halo 5ch amp in the same configuration and it was not able to keep up. We also tried the Bryston 9BSST and Rotel RMB-1095 at the same time. And the P5 came out the clear winner to my ears.

I'm more then satisfied and impressed by this amp. Build quality is second to none. My Rotel RMB-1095 was looking flimsy beside it. Thick and heavy metal plates. I'm not even afraid of standing on it for 15-30 minutes when adjusting my projector! It's built in North America at it shows. Build quality written all over it. :T

There is no noise floor at all. Not a hiss coming from the speakers, even at 1". My Rotel RMB-1095 in the exact same configuration, was hissing and humming, and we could hear it at 10' from the speakers!

As far as I have seen, there is no other multichannel amp out there that even comes close to the specs this monster provides. The power output alone at 325x5 and 500x5 into 4 ohms, 675 into 2 ohms, and even down into 1 ohm if there is enough juice from the wall. Try to find another multichannel amp that claims to be stable down to 1 ohm and below.

The P5 is one of the few that has 5 transformers (one per channel) which means that each channels power is independent of the others--so the power ratings provided are for 1 or all channels driven. This is where alot of amplifiers will fall down as they often have one large transformer shared with all channels. Which means that if one channels needs lots of juice, it can be there at the expense of the others. But if all channels need the rated power simultaneously, the amps with only one transformer will provide substantially less power. For pure power, there is nothing in the league with the P5 at this time because of the multi-mono design (5 transformers) and the ability to have two power cords to equal 30 or 40 amps from the wall. This allows it to draw the extra juice that other amplifiers need and eventually stop increasing in power because of the lack of power from the wall--unless 30 amp circuits are in place and the amp is built to withstand that circuit. I use my P5 with 2X20A dedicated circuits.

ATI 3007, Cinenova Grande 5, EAD, and others may advertise 300+ watts per channel, but the reality is that with a shared transformer or two, that power is not "real" power with all channels driven and can not be reached with a standard 15 amp circuit and power cord. Not that they dont sound great, but if the question is power in a multichannel amplifier and it is NOT digital like the Sunfire amplifier, the P5 is by far the top of the pack.

Add in 14 output devices, 800 watt transformers per channel (4.0 kw total), 40,000 mF per channel, 125 S/N ratio and a basic non-existent distortion ratio, this is the quietest, most powerful, transparent amplifier out there (even amongst two channel amplifiers). I guess I would put my money again on the P5 in any group of amplifiers that are currently on the market. The one that comes close is the BAT VK-6200 with design and build quality, but the price is almost double the P5.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Since I bought it, I have never looked back. Probably one of the best piece of equipment I ever bought.
    To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Levesque,

Welcome back! :T

Sounds like a beast!

Geoff

Comment

• LEVESQUE
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
        Levesque,
        Welcome back! :T
        Sounds like a beast!
        Geoff
        I'm not posting often in here anymore, but I'm still reading! :T

Yes, the P5 is a beast, but it's sonic qualities we are all after in here... And the P5 is a sweet sounding monster... :B
        To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• raider
          • Dec 2004

P5

Is 5K a good price for this unit??? :wink:
          It Is What It Is 8)

Comment

• LEVESQUE
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by raider
            Is 5K a good price for this unit??? :wink:
            No. 5K$ US is WAY too high, and 5K$ cdn is STILL too high...

Just send me a PM.

Comment

• raider
              • Dec 2004

leveque i just PM you about the p5 hope you get it!!!:<)
              It Is What It Is 8)

Comment

• Nick M
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Spectacular home theater Levesque! :E
                ~Nick

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                  Spectacular home theater Levesque! :E
                  Thank you! :B

But for me the look was a second taught (strong WAF factor). The important thing was acoustical and video performance first. And we did it.

Comment

• raider
                    • Dec 2004

Leveque! I think your HT is what most of us are trying to achieve!!! :E
                    I am extremely impressed with your pics!!! :T
                    Maybe if i get up that way "heheheh"i can stop by and check it out! :B
                    By comparison my HT is rather meek BUT it is getting there!!! :T
                    It Is What It Is 8)

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"