X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sugarmedia
    • Feb 2005

Musical Fidelity- Do you know it?

Hey gang...

I'm going to purcahse the Aeon-i and have been shopping around for amps.

I have been seriously looking at Musical Fidelity to pair up with the ML's. Because of the price and selection I have available to me I was going to get the Musical Fidelity A308 Integrated Amplifier and the A308cr CD Player.

Today I went back to the store and saw that they had the new Musical Fidelity A5 Series- (CD and Integrated amp). This shop is offering it for the exact same price as the A308 Series, well, slightly more but not enough to make a difference to my wallet.

The dealer is telling me that the A308 series is much better quality than the A5 series, and that the A5 is a new release to a series that is cheaper than the A308's. • Is this true?

Also, the A5 has 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms, while the A308 has 300 watts into 4 ohms. • Should I take this into account with ML speakers?

I have an audition set up for next week so I will ultimately let my ears be the judge, but it's important for me that I'm not taken advantage of since to the best of my knowledge the A308 is phased out. I actually thought the A5 Series was replacing the A308. • Are they just trying to push an older model on me to make a sale?

Any advice to help me make a better decision would be greatly appreciated. I have only one chance to make the right purchase and then my wife says I can't spend anymore on HiFi.

Thank you!
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

MF makes some very nice gear and they should pair nicely with those ML's

Comment

• Cowanrg
      • Feb 2004

the dealer most likely has a bit of money tied up in the A308. let your ears be the judge, but the 308 is built better, yes, but the A5 is newer and IMO better sounding stuff. the A5 integrated and cd player are a killer combo together for the price. if you can get the 308 for a deal, that could be good too. but for the same price, i would just get the new A5.

Comment

• Patt
        • Feb 2005

No experience with either but if they were to sound the same I would choose the A5......has a modern more finished look to it.....Enjoy whatever you get!
        ......Pat

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I agree with Andrew on this.

Jim
          jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• bhuskins
            • Aug 2003

Did you ever get the ML's and MF setup?

Brent Huskins
            Media Design
            HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

• Farscape1
              • Jul 2005

Musical Fidelity: Great stuff, I own the A308 Int and I just tried out the A5. Both fantastic sounding but I did not notice any sonic differences in them whatsoever. I would try to get a better deal on the A308 and pass on the A5, unless they guy won't budge on price then go with the A5 both are very good sonically.

Patt: I think the A5 looks too plain for my tastes. How about the TriVista Int... Now that puppy is still sweet looking....

Yikes, looking at this thread I might need a difibulator to get it going again last post in April? Ah am I in hyperspace here drifting in a sea of nothingness....

Comment

• bhuskins
                • Aug 2003

I use the TriVista myself...

I also really like the Cary Audio 303/300 that I have.

Brent Huskins
                Media Design
                HTGuide Sponsor

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"