Plug 1095 straight into wall or in Monster?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NHT
    • Mar 2004

Plug 1095 straight into wall or in Monster?

I have a Monster HTS5100 on the way and I just wanted to prepare for the hookup before it gets here. Ive heard from many resources that amps should always be plugged straight into the wall but is the Monster 5100 able to handle the hight current of the 1095? I would really much rather plug it into a reliable unit to protect against surges but if it would hinder performance, I will plug it into the wall. What do you think? Thanks.
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

If you want to get the most of the 1095, the answer is Into the wall, ideally into it's own dedicated circuit.

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

Don't think surges are a major issue with high power amps. I assume you will turn it off during lightning storms, but otherwise the usual power burps out there should not bother your amp and the benefit of direct connection to its own 20 amp outlet should be clearly audible.

Comment

• NHT
        • Mar 2004

Has anyone had good results or usable improvements in using these power conditioners or should I have spent my money elsewhere and gotten a basic Monster HTS1000 that will protect from surges?

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by NHT
          Has anyone had good results or usable improvements in using these power conditioners or should I have spent my money elsewhere and gotten a basic Monster HTS1000 that will protect from surges?
          NHT,

I own the Monster Power HTS 3500 MKII, my logic is simple, I protect my equipment from surges via this equipment with pretty good results (others have surges at the junction box, for household protection). There are also other companies that have surge protectors that other's use with pretty good results (i.e. Brickwall).

Sonic inhibitor? Perhaps, but I know my equipment is protected and insured.

Check out this URL:

Monster HTS 5100

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

NHT,

I've done a quick check of the Monster 5100's specs and as it does not regenerate the power, just filter in it lots of ways, it has the same power rating as your wall socket (which is good)... So if all of the equipment was going to the same power line anyway (e.g. double wall socket on the same power line as other household items) - I'd recommend using it..

I have an Australian equivalent for our 240V power and it makes a big difference, especially on the amp and pre-amp so why not try it and see...

I suspect giving the 1095 its own dedicated 20 Amp line straight from the main power fuse box would be as good or better - but this is not an option for many people with rented apartments or houses. Even then I would use a surge protector in the line - just to protect against power surges, lightning strikes etc.

Geoff
            Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 17 October 2004, 06:38 Sunday.

Comment

• aarsoe
              • May 2004

I have alwayes been a bit concerned about adding dedicated outlets for a single component only. Reason - ground loop. Having gear attached to different lines with different ground connections is asking for problems... Well at least that is my experience..

Comment

• Eiffel
                • Aug 2003

I also believe that pluggin one unprotected component into a system where the rest is protected makes the whole system vulnerable to some some surges and other issues (this also applies if your surge protected system is connected to an unprotected antenna).

With this in mind, there are two schools of thought: full protection, or no protection at all...

Comment

• Mark_C.
                  • Jan 2003

I use a Monster 2500 for all my compenents, but I plug my 1075 directly into its own dedicated 20 amp circuit. I figure if there's an overload somewhere, the fuses in the 1075 will protect it.

Comment

• ht_addict
                    • Dec 2002

Will the Monster Power Center restrict current to my power amplifiers?

No. On the models that contain High Current Filters, we have passed over 21,000 watts of power through to demonstrate its capabilities. For Monster Power Centers that do not have High Current Filters, the fillter becomes saturated for a few Milliseconds but does not impede current flow.
                    This is a FAQ taken straight from Monsters website. Now as an owner of both the HTS5000mkII and AVS2000, I can honestly say that yes you can plug the 1095 into you Monster HTS5100 since it has High Current Filters and no you do not need a dedicated socket. On my AVS2000 it gives the current Amp draw off setup with the exception of the sub that plugged into the wall. At most my setup draws 3amps. I'd say if your wiring a new room then do it, otherwise I don't think you need it unless you trying to solve a problem.

ht_addict

Comment

• rhoffman000
                      • Sep 2004

Geoff, just curoius about using a surge strip. I'm not as familier with some of the power specs regarding if a power strip is rated high enough to ensure that my 1095 is not being limited by the surge protector itself. Do you (or anyone else) know what I should be looking for in surge strip capacity? Many seem to be rated in joules, but I'm not sure how to translate that into what I need. Thanks,

Rob

Comment

• Bill Blank
                        • Sep 2002

I could be wrong but I thought Rotel themselves recommended plugging their power amps directly into the wall?

When finishing my room I had three outlets (2ea) run to their own breakers. Outlet 1, Top = Rotel RMB-1075
                        Outlet 1, Bottom = Power Strip (3 components)

Outlet 2, Top = TV
                        Outlet 2, Bottom = Power Strip (4 components)

Outlet 3, Top = Sub
                        OUtlet 3, Bottom = Empty.

Each outlet is wired to it's own 20AMP breaker at the box.

I'm considering a whole-house surge protector at the box and a Tripp Lite Line conditioner for the 8 components I have.

I'd like to "clean up" the power a little more so than protect it. My homeowners insurance policy covers all of gear in the event of a surge for full REPLACEMENT value (as opposed to a depreciated figure).

The Tripp-Lite unit I'm considering is:

Tripp-Lite Line Conditioner

Bill

Comment

• rosros
                          • Feb 2004

I have everything plugged into the Monster 5100. The 5100 suppose to be non current limiting. I have some monster power amps connected to the 5100 without any sonic problems. These include a pair of NAD 208, a Parasound HCA 1000 and a Rotel RB 990. Naturally the rest of the usual suspects are also connected (TV, VCR, DVD, Tuner).

Comment

• ht_addict
                            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Bill Blank
                            I could be wrong but I thought Rotel themselves recommended plugging their power amps directly into the wall?

When finishing my room I had three outlets (2ea) run to their own breakers. Outlet 1, Top = Rotel RMB-1075
                            Outlet 1, Bottom = Power Strip (3 components)

Outlet 2, Top = TV
                            Outlet 2, Bottom = Power Strip (4 components)

Outlet 3, Top = Sub
                            OUtlet 3, Bottom = Empty.

Each outlet is wired to it's own 20AMP breaker at the box.

I'm considering a whole-house surge protector at the box and a Tripp Lite Line conditioner for the 8 components I have.

I'd like to "clean up" the power a little more so than protect it. My homeowners insurance policy covers all of gear in the event of a surge for full REPLACEMENT value (as opposed to a depreciated figure).

The Tripp-Lite unit I'm considering is:

Tripp-Lite Line Conditioner

Bill
                            Bill,

The unit you linked to would do the job, though I have read that this unit generates a loud hum when in operation. You may want to try it out before you buy.

ht_addict

Comment

• mitch57
                              • Nov 2004

:T I have my RMB-1095 plugged into a Richard Gray 400 MKII which is plugged directly into a dedicated 20 amp circuit. It sounds great.

Are any of you familiar with the Richard Gray product line?
                              Mitch
                              :stupidpc:

Comment

• GSamF
                                • Mar 2004

I have both the Monster 5100 ss line conditioner and the 2000 ss power conditioner. I have all my components (including 1095) plugged into the 5100, and the 5100 plugged into the 2000.

I have not noticed any negative results or loss of clarity/power in doing so. This is what my dealer recommended.

Is there anything wrong with this configuration?

Thanks

Comment

• mikeyc
                                  • Sep 2004

My Rotel dealer recommended that I plug in the amp directly into the outlet and not to worry about surges because the amp has its own protective circuits. By plugging it into the Monster he said it would "choke" it.

Comment

• pbarata
                                    • Feb 2003

I’ve RMB-1075 connect to a simple power distribution unit fitted with a mains RFI filter, earth line choke, transient suppressor and screened supply cable from Olson’s (http://www.soundfantastic.co.uk/). Based on my experience I can really listen sound improvement, with a much punchy bass and clear treble. So, in my opinion RMB-1075 and probably 1095 will benefit from a stable and clean mains. In general all appliances will benefit from a clean mains.
                                    Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
                                    Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• ht_addict
                                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by mikeyc
                                      My Rotel dealer recommended that I plug in the amp directly into the outlet and not to worry about surges because the amp has its own protective circuits. By plugging it into the Monster he said it would "choke" it.
                                      As long as your power conditioner or surge protector has high current outlets that don't limit current flow then plug the amp into it. I've had a 1095 plugged into a Monster HTS5000mkII. Now I have a NAD S250 plugged into a Monster HTPS7000. I have never notice the amp "choke".

ht_addict

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"