X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ron67
    • Apr 2003

Rotel DVD Opinions?

As you know from my RSX-1065 posts, I'm upgrading most of my system. I have an old Sony DVD player that's moving up to my daughter's room so it needs to be replaced. I want to be able to play DVD-A as well as CD-R's and still get great picture quality etc. I've been looking at the Rotel RDV-1080 and the newer RDV-1060 (which my local shop doesn't have yet... not sure if it's officially out). They seem pretty nice but hard to get a comparison and I'm by no means an expert.

I just wanted to get some more opinions. Are there any owners in here...? They're not cheap and the only other units in the shop to compare them to are Marantz and then super high end Lynns and Meredians playing through $20k projectors which are waaaay out of my price range.

Bottom line, are they worth the extra $ and should I just get a cheaper unit and wait until Rotel comes up with something that plays all the formats including SACD?
  • gshisme
    • May 2003

It is a nice looking unit that would look great with my other Rotel units but where is the SACD. No SACD is a biggie!!!! I'm this close >< to purchasing the Denon 2900. It is a shame that the 1060 doesn't have SACD since this is a new unit. Seems it could be quite a while before we see one with SACD.

suds, suds, and more suds

Comment

• simonb68
      • Jan 2003

Ron (I assume its Ron)

I can't comment on the 1060, but I looked at the 1080 a while ago, and came to the conclusion that it was outdated and overpriced. Additonally it didn't have any scarts, though that probably doesnt bother you, but that meant s-video or component only, and I don't have component kit yet, so no RGB.

I demoed it against Primare and Arcam players and didnt think it compared picture wise, though sound wise it was close.

It is also a first generation DVD-A player based on a JVC machine. I would wait for the 1060 if you were going to look at Rotel.

Given all the new players coming out recently (in the UK at least) I think I probably over paid for the Primare V25 I chose, though it is a nice machine, and only one of two players with Pal PS at the time of purchase. There are a number of universal or near universal players with progressive scan that are rated very highly in the £500 to £1000 range and probably lower - they are likely cheaper in the US given the straight $ to £ conversion.

I would look at Toshiba, Pioneer, Panasonic and Denon, as well as the more 'exotic' players.

Hope that helps some
      Simon

Comment

• Ron67
        • Apr 2003

I agree with the SACD thing. DVD technlogy is changing so quickly it's almost impossible to keep up, but it would be nice to play everything on one unit.

I am far from an audio/video expert but the 1080 sounded great and the video quality seemed pretty darn good relative to what I'm used to with my old Sony.

I was at the shop today and decided to take a leap of faith and preordered the new 1060. They expect the units to start arriving late May/early June. We'll see what happens. If I don't like it they said I can return it. I'll have to post a new thread when it comes in.

Comment

• gshisme
          • May 2003

Originally posted by Ron67
          I'll have to post a new thread when it comes in.
          absolutely Ron..good luck with it. it is a sweet looking unit with some very good features.

Comment

• eelco74
            • Dec 2002

I am also looking into SACD to replace my RCD-975 and my RDV-985

Choices :

1 Denon vd-2900 (seems to be the best, but not available)
            2 Philips 963SA + vMeedevoort Modification (no DVD-a, but 1/2 price of the denon. And the upgrade makes it sound VERY good)

I will audition both players, as soon as the DVD-2900 is available.

But I am getting a bit impatient
            Then I will buy it together with a RSX-1055.

Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
            Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
            Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Mats
              Special Member
              • Jun 2000

i guess the question is what camp (if any) is rotel in - right now they seem to be on the dvd-a side? read some articles, and initially some manufacturers went/go with one or the other, and of course some run with both formats. i'm going to wait also for more manufacturers to jump on the 'universal' platform so price can fall, quality can rise.

more off topic, but when i take the plunge, i'm also going to seriously consider going after full-rangers like my paradigm studio 80's for the rear... right now i've got the paradigm adp's (their reference dipoles), and i'm not too sure if they will be up to snuff with regard to the new formats for multi-channel music. if anyone has an opinion, please let me know!
              Mats
              Mats Strömberg
              Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
              Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• gshisme
                • May 2003

Originally posted by valongi
                i'm going to wait also for more manufacturers to jump on the 'universal' platform so price can fall, quality can rise.
                ageed...However, had Rotel taken the SACD road I would probably have one on order right now. Seems SACD is winning the war in the format battles from what I have read.

Comment

• jpossum
                  • Jan 2003

I've also got one on order. Was supposed to be here in mid-April, then early May, now end of May.....grrrrrrrr......... :evil:

Rotel....if you can't meet a shipping deadline, why tell everyone that you can? Ever heard of "underpromise and overdeliver"?

Comment

• Ron67
                    • Apr 2003

Does anyone know if the 1060 will play CD-R/RW discs? Granted the sound quality on them isn't always top notch, but I have quite a few really cool mixes from DJ friends...

Comment

• simonb68
                      • Jan 2003

From the Rotel web site

"The advanced optical transport system reads DVD-A, DVD-V, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-V, and MP3-encoded discs"

Comment

• Nick V
                        • May 2003

Ok, so the 1080 is based on a JVC player (below average video quality, Chroma bug) but what player is the 1060 based on?? Please tell me it's a panasonic, or an original Rotel...

Click Here to see my HT
                        Click Here to see my HT

Comment

• tcmax
                          • Mar 2003

Ron,

I'm assuming you went to Sounds Like Music for your Rotel gear. Hope you had better service than I did. (Couldn’t get anyone to talk to me and I finally left) Anyway since they’re the only dealer in the valley I have to go back and was just wandering if they gave you any kind of a price break? Also did you buy anything else from them and how long did it take to come in. Thanks!!

Terry

Comment

• Ron67
                            • Apr 2003

Yeah - thats where I got it. They're an excellent shop but small and in a really busy area. Try calling ahead and asking for David Wilcomb (There's 2 Davids and he's off Tues and Weds). I was heavily considering the Pioneer VSX-47TX which I could have bought on the internet for ~$200 less and saved tax but two things kept me coming back: The sweet sound of the B&W's with the Rotel and SLM's outstanding customer service. Dave is really low key and actually talked me out of overspending. He offered advise & opinions only when/where needed etc. He's been in the business forever and I really can't say enough about him and the entier staff - and believe me I was a pain in the butt! Once you hook up with someone there and they get to know you, you can just walk right in later and demo for hours on end. Anything and everything - even if it's way out of your price range. They seem to live the demo vicariously through the client etc.

In the end I bought the 1065, a pair of 604 S3 mains, CCM8 surrounds, some better cables than what I had and preordered the 1060 DVD player. Everything except the 1060 was in stock. Overall I would highly recommend them.

Comment

• tcmax
                              • Mar 2003

Thanks for the Info Ron. I will definitely be giving David a call.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"