Loudspeaker Design Cookbook 6th or 7th edition ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahaik
    • Feb 2007

Loudspeaker Design Cookbook 6th or 7th edition ?

Hi,
    6th edition is on sale at madisound now for $11 http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1750
    The new 7th edition is more then $30 are the differences worth spending the extra $$ for someone with no experience in speaker design like myself ?

Asi.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

My irascible but efficacious suggestion?

Get the 6th edition for $11, but use the money saved to get Joseph D'Apollito's "Testing Loudspeakers". Unless, of course, you don't plan on testing loudspeakers ever. In which case, forget my suggestion. :W
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ahaik
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      My irascible but efficacious suggestion?

Get the 6th edition for $11, but use the money saved to get Joseph D'Apollito's "Testing Loudspeakers". Unless, of course, you don't plan on testing loudspeakers ever. In which case, forget my suggestion. :W
      Thank you Jon,
      I don't have any specific plans, but I do have great interest in speaker design and thought this would be a good start. I think I would get the CookBook first and see where things lead to.
      If (or should I say when) I do my first design I will definitely do some measurements.

Asi.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

FWIW, Speaker Designing 201 is a much easier read and may be a better place to start.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• JonP
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
          FWIW, Speaker Designing 201 is a much easier read and may be a better place to start.
          I'd concur... Vance's book is rather uncookbooklike, more a reference guide than a textbook. I started with it, and it was a steep climb.

I then got "Testing Loudspeakers", which is pretty specific to the title subject, but reading it (and loads of everything I could find on the Net) caused a lot of the "Cookbook" to fall into place. It's fantastic for understanding testing, methods, etc. You need this if you're going to be doing any testing.

Then picked up a copy of Speaker Designing 201, it is very much a textbook, written by an actual career teacher, who's an excellent writer. Very organized, starts at the beginnings, and lots of good explanation. I was somewhat ahead of the 201 (well, maybe the 101) level by then, but it goes into the weightier things as well. I wish I had started with it.

I really think you'll end up wanting all three on the shelf.

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

I was rereading Cookbook last night, trying to understand a few things. Every time, it just makes me want to complain. So, sorry but my rant: Cookbook has lots of good info in it, but it isn't a very good book. I have the 7th ed. It would be interesting to see one of the earlier editions as I expect them to be a better read. It just seems like more and more stuff got stuffed into the book.

My biggest complaint is that the graphs are constantly a few pages forward or backward of the referenced text. Finding the graph the text is referring to is an issue and your forced to do a lot of page flipping. Another issue is it is constantly using terms that haven't been introduced yet. For example (and I don't have the book in front of me) in the crossover chapter, in the early portions of the chapter, it makes several references to using a CR filter, but the CR filter isn't discussed until deep into the chapter. It makes a new person's head spin and have to constantly flip pages to understand what he is talking about.

Again, it has a lot of information. But, it doesn't have a clear target audience. It seems aimed at new hobbiest, advanced hobiest, and to some degree manufactures. So, it contains a lot and lot of information. I think reading the book at least twice is the only way to fully comprehend all the information contained.

201 on the other hand is simplified and an easy read. Probably good from someone who is reading to understand the basics (I'm here) and begin using the computer software to design speakers (I need to start this). Like JonP said, "I really think you'll end up wanting all three on the shelf."
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ---k---
              So, sorry but my rant: Cookbook has lots of good info in it, but it isn't a very good book.
              Correct, lots of data but there are few directions for it's application.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ahaik
                • Feb 2007

Since for now I'm just looking for a place to start and get more farmiliar with speaker design, I guess the 201 is the way to go.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"