X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george_k
    • Jan 2004

Biwiring with a RMB1066 or not?

I'm considering the option of picking up one of these and use 4 out of its 6 channels to passively bi-amp my front speakers (B&W 603's). The extra two channels could eventually be used on a center speaker (LCR600 or another 603)

The other option is to pickup a larger dedicated 2-ch amp within the same price range approx.

What are your opinions regarding the two options?

Thanks in advance!

[edit] I meant to type in biamping in the subject title
    Last edited by george_k; 27 April 2004, 11:47 Tuesday.
  • dali
    • Jul 2002

Isn't that biamping? Anyway, most people seem to agree that biamping is the way to go compared to biwiring. On the other hand, some speaker manufacturers only put speaker terminals for two wires on their speakers, so who knows ...

If you compare a RMB1066 biamped with a 2ch amp you should take into account that you need twice as much speaker cables for biamping/-wiring, so you could actually buy a slightly more expensive 2ch amp for the same cost.

I have a RMB1066 and I like it, but I use it for my home theater, haven't tried biamping it.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I'd bi-amp before bridging but I 'd do a dedicated two channel before bi-amping. IMO it will perform much better especially with two-channel music listening. What are you using to power your other channels currently?

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• george_k
        • Jan 2004

At the moment all channels are driven by my receiver NAD T742 which does an honest 50watts multichannel. In stereo mode it plays loud enough but when I pop in a movie, due to the larger dynamic range, I have to really turn up the volume to get it at an appreciable sound level.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

That's a tough one... A decent 2-channel amp will totally help with music and will help relieve the rest of the system for movie watching but you may find the power to your centre is lacking.... not to mention with a diffrent amp they're might be a slight difference in voicing in your front array between the centre and mains... Bi-amping all three with the 1066 might be your answer...

Do you have any plans to upgrade the Nad in the near future? Or perhaps you go with a 5-channel (1075) amp to start with and add a 2-channel (1070/1080) later?

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• george_k
            • Jan 2004

Sounds like a 1075 would be the way to go unfortunately that equates to a few more months of saving on my part

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Most likely it's the best though not the most affordable option. Sorry ops: Unless of course you were planning on upgrading your Nad...? A RSX-1056 with a RB-1070 wouldn't be a bad combo.... :P

Jason
              Jason

Comment

• Bostonears
                • Mar 2004

I am currently using all six channels of an RMB-1066 driven from an RSP-1068 for biamping my front speakers and center channel (Sonus Faber Grand Piano and Piccolo Solo). The sound quality is sufficiently amazing that I am living without any surround channels at the moment and loving it, even compared to using the RMB-1066 in bridged mode for the three channels (where the total power was the same as the bi-amp configuration).

In particular, the highs opened up considerably, and the imaging is now so crisp that it's startling. Sounds are just floating in the air above, behind, and even further apart than the speakers. I would strongly recommend trying the biamp configuration before deciding on a 2 channel amp. Depending on your speakers, they may or may not respond as well as mine have.

My SF's are the older style "Concerto" Grand Piano. (The newer generation Grand Piano "Home" do not have bi-amp/bi-wire terminals.) I have used these speakers with several different amps over the last few years, including some that are a lot more watts per channel, but this is the best they have ever sounded for both 2 channel music and multi-channel movies.
                Last edited by Bostonears; 28 April 2004, 12:36 Wednesday.

Comment

• Boombox
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Bostonears
                  My SF's are the older style "Concerto" Grand Piano. (The newer generation Grand Piano "Home" do not have bi-amp/bi-wire terminals.) I have used these speakers with several different amps over the last few years, including some that are a lot more watts per channel, but this is the best they have ever sounded for both 2 channel music and multi-channel movies.
                  I'm in the position now of wanting to order an RMB1066. The SF's are certainly top quality speakers; however, I want to bi-amp a pair of Boston VR2s with this amp. Problem is, that the price of the RMB1066 has gone through the roof and it seems a bit extreme to spend on an "experiment"....there are no SH models available here....

Is it worthwhile to buy the amp and use it for bi-amping....will the sonic improvements be worth the money...? 8O
                  Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• Bostonears
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Boombox
                    I'm in the position now of wanting to order an RMB1066. The SF's are certainly top quality speakers; however, I want to bi-amp a pair of Boston VR2s with this amp. Problem is, that the price of the RMB1066 has gone through the roof and it seems a bit extreme to spend on an "experiment"....there are no SH models available here....

Is it worthwhile to buy the amp and use it for bi-amping....will the sonic improvements be worth the money...? 8O
                    How much of an improvement you get will at least partly depend on what amp you're using now, in addition to characteristics of the speaker's crossover. The best bet would be to find a local Rotel dealer that would let you try the RMB1066 at home and return it if you don't like the results.

Comment

• Boombox
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Bostonears
                      How much of an improvement you get will at least partly depend on what amp you're using now, in addition to characteristics of the speaker's crossover. The best bet would be to find a local Rotel dealer that would let you try the RMB1066 at home and return it if you don't like the results.
                      I guess that this will be the right thing to do....thanks for the suggestion....

I'm driving the Bostons with a Rotel RB1070....

I don't have huge faith in the crossover, but thenagain, I have not heard a bi-amped Boston....

Thanks...
                      Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"