What isolation devices are you using with your 1066 Pre/Pro?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ron Reda
    • Jan 2003

What isolation devices are you using with your 1066 Pre/Pro?

I'm planning on picking up some isolation devices for my 1066 and was kinda curious as to what everyone else is using.

I have been looking into various spikes/cones/half spheres with Black Diamond Racing's "Pyramid Cones" being of particular interest to me.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I went all out and used peices of a mouse pad that I cut up

Comment

• Rock Dog
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2003

Day-um Andrew! I wish I had your money too spend. Cost is no object with you. :

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Ron Reda
        • Jan 2003

Andrew, you're quite the big spender!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

They don't call me mr DIY for nothing Seriously if there's a cheap way of doing it chances are I've tried it...that comes from having a champagne taste on a boxed wine sallary

Comment

• sndtowne
            • Jan 2003

Cut up a mouse pad eh? That was great Andrew. :LOL:

Bruce
            Bruce

Comment

• Madd
              • Jan 2003

That poor mouse

Never argue with a fool,one may not know the difference!

Comment

• Claude D D
                • Jan 2003

I use Black Diamond cones under my RSP-1066,hard to tell if there were any real improvements but it doesn,t hurt either.

Comment

• Rock Dog
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2003

Hey Andrew,

I can get you a good deal on some bubble wrap! :LOL:

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Comment

• Rock Dog
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2003

Seriously though! A co-worker put this together, and has been very happy with it. It's not for everyone, simply based on space, location and ability.

Audio Sandbox

Personally, I swear by Sorbothane. You can buy isolators made from Sorbothane. But you pay more because they are for "audio." That's BS, you can buy a bulk piece, or just some generic pads, and it's the exact same thing.

-Thomas-

-Thomas-

Comment

• SayersWeb
                      • Dec 2002

What problem is the isolation device trying to resolve?

Sayer - Musical Creations and Home Page

Comment

• Madd
                        • Jan 2003

What problem is the isolation device trying to resolve? :roll:

"VIBRATIONS" from Audio gear.

Comment

• SayersWeb
                          • Dec 2002

Would this be from speaker output or other audio devices on the same rack? What problems are created in a pre/pro by vibration?

Comment

• Madd
                            • Jan 2003

I was just at the Audio store today talking with the owner. He says to put the cone spikes under all your gear, he says it will make it sound better because any vibration will be cut off at the spike. He loaned me a set to try under my dvd player saying that the sound will be better without a doubt. Well I hear no difference in sound. They cost $13 per spike. I will return them as I hear no difference :roll:

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Madd,

That's because you can return them! Had you paid $52 and couldn't return them, they probably would make a difference..

Of course you could just go with the ones that are $200, I'm sure that will make a difference..

Kevin D.

Comment

• JKohn
                                • Jun 2002

I can see the argument that isolation devices might make a difference for components with moving parts, like a turntable. But I can't help but think it's a bit silly to think it would make any difference for a solid state pre/pro or receiver.

IMO these expensive spikes and other isolation devices seem to fall into the same category as super expensive speaker cables, interconnects, and power cords: any perceived increase in sound is most likely due to the placebo effect.

(uhoh, I better duck before the true audiophiles attack)

Jeff Kohn
                                Jeff Kohn
                                http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

• Danbry39
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Sep 2002

A desktop rack I built to hold my 1066, CD player, VCR, DVD player, and power conditioner had a problem in that the music playing on the CD would skip when the volume was turned up. I bought four vibrapods to place under the rack and now can bang the desk as hard as I can right next to the rack with no skipping whatsoever. And, as all my friends will tell you, I'm a mighty, mighty man with fists of steel and the power of a jack hammer. :x

Didn't notice any audio improvement though.

Keith
                                  Keith

Comment

• Madd
                                    • Jan 2003

Well, if my sub the shakes the whole house does not cause a problem then I dont think spikes are needed. :roll:

Comment

• Madd
                                      • Jan 2003

Well, if my sub the shakes the whole house does not cause a problem then I dont think spikes will ever be needed. :roll:

Comment

• Madd
                                        • Jan 2003

Sorry for that double post :roll:

Comment

• Ron Reda
                                          • Jan 2003

I got some of the MK III cones last week and affixed them to my pre/pro using Blu-Tak. Well, sure enough when I went to readjust the cones a few days later, the unit got hot enough to melt some of the Blu-Tak so now I've got the Blu-Tak remnants on the underside of the unit. Doh!!!

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"