X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick TX
    • Jan 2003

1066/1065/1055 Auto Format Detect?

I'm getting closer to pulling the Rotel trigger, but have a question. How long does it generally take to decode/recognize a digital signal? My Yamaha is lightning fast, but I've read reports of certain HK's and Rotels taking several seconds. Is this the case with the above 3? I hope not, but I had to ask. Thanks!
    My Equipment

Rotel RSP-1066
    Rotel RMB-1075
    Front - B&W CDM 9NT's
    Center - B&W CDM CNT
    Surrounds - B&W LM1's
    Subwoofer - SVS PB2+
    HDTV - Pioneer Elite Pro630HD
    DVD - Panasonic DVD-RP91K, Denon DVD-1600
    SACD Changer - Sony SCD-C222ES
    PVR Box - SA Explorer 8000
    HD Box - SA Explorer 3100HD
    Gaming - Sony PS2
    Remote - Home Theater Master MX-500
    Power Conditioner - Panamax M5300
    Rack Light - Panamax RacMax
  • suarez
    • Jan 2003

hi,

tested signal: 96khz pcm 2 channel audio from audigy player via coaxial input
    recognition time: realtime? very fast!
    when i hit the "switch the output to digital only" flag, the 1055 starts immediately playing. seems to work fine and fast.
    testing every day with a winampstream while surfing and writing things in forums.....

i hope this week arrives my philips 963sa, then i test the optical connection.

cya
    suarez

sind sie ein eichenmann?
    sind sie ein eichenmann?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

This has never been an issue for me since both the 1055 and 1066 were so fast its a non issue.

Comment

• Ron Reda
        • Jan 2003

Compared to my previous Denon 3802, my 1066 tends to be a bit slower. I also have noticed an audible "thump" when the 1066 locks on to the signal. It happens even when I set the particular input to "digital.

Comment

• Rock Dog
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2003

Along these lines I ran into a strange situation (for the first time last night) Due to recent events, I felt like watching Apollo 13. Loaded the DVD and it comes up with one of those "choose your decoding, before we go any further menus" So I chose DTS, and hit enter. The 1066 scrolled "DTS" across the display. But no audio. :? I checked the volume, I went into the OSD and switched back and forth from DTS and DTS ES. Still nothing. It was not until I switched to another source and came back that it kicked in. This is the first time this has happened. Maybe it was just a one time thing.

I'll try it again later this evening, and see if I can duplicate the glitch.

One other thing that I notice. I have a Kenwood Soverign megachanger. And I noticed that when I go from a DVD with DTS or DD to a regular audio cd. The cd loads, starts spinning and playing (i.e. the counter begins to increment) and I miss about a second and a half of audio while the 1066 switches from the decoder(s) to 2ch stereo. It does not happen when going from audio disk to audio disk. The unit has to change from the decoder(s) to 2ch stereo to get this moment of silence.

Most of you may not notice such a thing because you may have seperate, dedicated CD and DVD players. So when you switch the source to CD, it's already in 2ch stereo from the last session. :?

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• princeoliver
            • Jan 2003

It was not until I switched to another source and came back that it kicked in.

I have a RSX972 and this happens EVERY TIME when I turn on my RP82 DVD player to listen to a CD in stereo. In fact one time it gave a high pitch frequency noise. I was afraid my speakers were damaged! Although, I don't notice this problem when I watch a DVD. Also, this does not happen with my other DVD player: a Sony N500V. I use to have a Denon receiver and sometimes it would also require switching to another source first too (but not EVERY TIME)...

Comment

• Patrick TX
              • Jan 2003

Interesting. What happens when you are watching digital cable, & go from a Pro Logic source to HBO with DD 5.1? Will it automatically switch to dd 5.1?

My Equipment

Rotel RSP-1066
              Rotel RMB-1075
              Front - B&W CDM 9NT's
              Center - B&W CDM CNT
              Surrounds - B&W LM1's
              Subwoofer - SVS PB2+
              Gaming - Sony PS2
              My Equipment

Rotel RSP-1066
              Rotel RMB-1075
              Front - B&W CDM 9NT's
              Center - B&W CDM CNT
              Surrounds - B&W LM1's
              Subwoofer - SVS PB2+
              Gaming - Sony PS2

Comment

• princeoliver
                • Jan 2003

I never have a problem going from stereo to DD or DTS. Don't watch anything in pro logic...

Comment

• JKohn
                  • Jun 2002

The 1066 scrolled "DTS" across the display. But no audio. I checked the volume, I went into the OSD and switched back and forth from DTS and DTS ES. Still nothing. It was not until I switched to another source and came back that it kicked in. This is the first time this has happened. Maybe it was just a one time thing.
                  This happens to me every once in a while, though I haven't determined any exact pattern or steps to duplicate. Probably happens about once a month (if that).

Jeff Kohn
                  Jeff Kohn
                  http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

• Whozit
                    • Jan 2003

I have had my 1066/1075 combo for about a month, and have experienced both the delay and no sound problem. It seems to be intermittant, with the exception of HDCD sensing, which delays for about 2 seconds every time. I'm actually somewhat relieved to hear that others are having the same problem. When I installed the units, I put the 1066 in a built in closed cabinet. Because the cabinet is fairly large (and I did not realize how much heat the 1066 could generate) I thought it would be OK. I had run it like this for about a week when I realized that it was getiing very hot. I modified the cabinet to take care of the heat, but I was afraid I had cooked something in the pre/pro.

Comment

• Whozit
                      • Jan 2003

I should add that I am very pleased with the overall performance of this system,

Comment

• mazuly
                        • Feb 2003

Hi,

My 1066 behaves the same:

-It misses the first few seconds of CD when I change from say DVD to CD.
                        -It makes a clicking sound (loud when you go from DD to PCM, but lower level other way around) when changing the digital output format of the STB from PCM to DD. I t also has a delay to lock in.
                        -It makes clicking sound when changing channels on STB. It also has a delay to lock in.
                        -I sometime miss few seconds if I put a DVD in and jump to a chapter right away.

I like to point out that my CD/DVD source is Rotel RDV-1080 and this dropout was more severe when I used cheaper (radio shack) coaxial cable. I have not tested it with toslink connection though.

Oh yes, and I love my Rotel system

Thanks,
                        Maziar

Comment

• mardelzur
                          • Dec 2002

Mazuly,

I also get most of these issues with my 1066. The most annoying for me is about a 2-3second delay when playing the first track of a CD. This happens when the 1066 is locking onto the PCM stream from my RDV-1080 (2ch mode).
                          The fix is quick but annoying; replay the track - there's no delay because the 1066 is already in 2ch mode.
                          I am using the digital co-ax connection. I've always been curious about whether this happens using the optical link. Can anyone confirm this?

Despite these problems, I'm very happy with my Rotel RSP1066/RMB1075/RDV1080 combo.

Thanks,
                          Mardelzur.

Comment

• mazuly
                            • Feb 2003

mardelzur,

It seems that everybody is using coaxial like you and I. One of these days, I will purchase a cheap toslink cable and will try it out. But in theory, I don't think it will make any difference.

Maziar

Comment

• Trevor_J
                              • Oct 2002

I've posted in another thread my problems with my 1066 and it's detection. Here's a synapsis:

I have my DBS input set to DPL II Cinema as default. If I watch a DD 5.1 channel and then switch back to a non DD 5.1 channel, the 1066 defaults to 2ch PCM. This is annoying because I then have to toggle through the surround modes or switch devices on my Pronto to set it back to DPL II Cinema.

I've also noticed (from the beginning) that the Rotel is very slow to lock onto a signal. My previous recievers were instantaneous when detecting a signal. The Rotel takes a second or two before you hear anything. I.E. the THX trailer at the beginning of Toy Story II. When I play this (as TSII is my favourite demo disk) you don' t hear anything until well into the beginning of the trailer (after he turns the moo can over once). I'm happy with the sound quality of my Rotel, but extremely disapointed in it's speed to acquire and decode an incoming signal.

Comment

• Kevin P
                                • Aug 2000

Sometimes delays in "locking on" to digital bitstreams can be caused by the source component. According to the Dolby specs (from what I've heard), if an invalid packet is received by the decoder it is supposed to mute for a period of time, I think it's 1 second or so. It's possible that the first "packet" sent by some source components could be corrupt, triggering this mute.

Ok, before assuming that this Kevin guy fell off his rocker and is coming up with this stuff out of thin air, I speak from experience. 2 1/2 years ago I replaced a Yamaha receiver with an Outlaw 1050. At the time I was using a Pioneer DV-414 DVD player, and I would frequently experience slow lock-ons or the occasional second or two of silence, such as when chapter skipping, going to/from a menu, or after the layer change.

A few months after I got the Outlaw I replaced the DV-414 with a Sony DVP-S9000ES. Same receiver, new DVD player. And guess what, the Outlaw doesn't go silent anymore. It "locks on" to the signal much faster, rarely losing any information (sometimes when switching to PCM when playing a CD, but not on DD/DTS DVDs). I'm thinking the Pioneer sent a corrupted packet after an interruption in playback, causing the Outlaw to mute for a second, and the Sony doesn't. Or the Sony is sending some sort of packet telling the receiver, "Hey, Dolby Digital bitstream coming up NOW!" and the receiver locks right on. Actually there is a brief delay, at the beginning of the TS2 Moo Can THX trailer my sound starts right when Tex drops and goes "thud" the first time.

So, delayed lock-ons or losing a second of dialogue after a layer change may not be the fault of your receiver or processor.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                                My HT Site

Comment

• mazuly
                                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Trevor_J
                                  I've posted in another thread my problems with my 1066 and it's detection. Here's a synapsis:

I have my DBS input set to DPL II Cinema as default. If I watch a DD 5.1 channel and then switch back to a non DD 5.1 channel, the 1066 defaults to 2ch PCM. This is annoying because I then have to toggle through the surround modes or switch devices on my Pronto to set it back to DPL II Cinema.
                                  Trevor J,

Have you updated the firmware to 2.25? This seems to be the symptom of the new 2.25 firmware, since my 1066 (2.22 firmware) does not do this and will keep the setting assigned to the input, i.e., DP II.

Andrew,

Have you heard anything back from Rotel regarding this?

Thanks,
                                  Maziar

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

no news yet.

Comment

• Trevor_J
                                      • Oct 2002

Trevor J,

Have you updated the firmware to 2.25? This seems to be the symptom of the new 2.25 firmware, since my 1066 (2.22 firmware) does not do this and will keep the setting assigned to the input, i.e., DP II.

Andrew,

Have you heard anything back from Rotel regarding this?

Thanks,
                                      Maziar

Actually, I'm running version 1.49 which I believe is the equivalent of 2.25. I've noticed this since I first bought my unit so it's always been a problem regardless of the firmware version.

Comment

• cwzell
                                        • Feb 2003

Maybe someone can help me with a couple of problems.

With my CD player (HK), every time I jump to a different track, the 1066 autodetects again, misses the beginging of the song, and resets any speaker level trims etc. I have set up! Drives me crazy. Coax input used.

Not so when I play a CD on my Panasonic DVD player - it does not reacquire/autodetect, and the local settings are intact. Optical input used.

I guess it's the CD player's fault, but why?

Another thing that also irritates is that my rear surrounds pop every time I skip tracks, or change sources. Not the normal surrounds or front 3 speakers, just the rears. I use an Adcom GFA535 for the rears, and a Carver AV806 for the rest, but I don't see how that would matter. I am using 1.37 frimware, but I don't recall any mention of updates addressing this issue - I hope I'm wrong! Anyone have any ideas? This one is my biggest complaint - I hope it is my fault!

Thanks, and cheers,
                                        Chris

Comment

• sbhand
                                          • Apr 2003

I just purchased a rsx-1055 and am also experiencing similar problems with the auto format detect feature when playing DVD’s. As noted by 'cwzell' when ever I skip tracks, or the format changes, or the source changes, I can hear a pop sound, primarily from the rear speakers. Is anyone aware of a solution to this as it is very annoying? Is it something that can reduced with a newer DVD player with a faster access time (my Sony has been locking up on occasion so is probably due for replacement)?

I had a disappointing experience with the Marantz sr7300ose sound quality (two units had a persistent high pitched sound from the center channel), and shifted to Rotel due to all the positive comments. It is a bit disconcerting to see similar sorts of issues with the Rotel (at least it is not a constant audible problem like the Marantz).

thanks
                                          Sbhand

Comment

• jprzybylski
                                            • Feb 2003

I find this string of threads really annoying. I'm annoyed because I have purchased the 1066 as well - and got rid of a Lexicon to make the switch.

While the sound quality of the Rotel is better than the Lexicon, this delay problem (and I'm on my second Rotel 1066 after having it replaced hoping that would fix the problem) this problem is inexcusable.

Seeing as this is a common problem, can't Rotel do anything to fix it? I know it is not my DVD player (Denon 3800) since I've tried it with other friends CHEAP Dolby Digita/DTS receivers and there is not 1 second of delay.

As of right now, the longest delay I have is when playinig HDCD's. Sometimes, the signal took up to 11 minutes to lock-on. This mostly happens after I watch a DVD (dolby digital/DTS) and then switch to either a CD or HDCD. The unit has a hard time locking onto the signal.

Hoping ROTEL can do something to help...

Comment

• DK
                                              • Apr 2003

The longest delay is playing HDCDs. Probably 6secs. DVDs around 2-3secs. Doesn't really bother me. Firmware is 1.43. What's the next firmware upgrade i shld be looking at?

Comment

• aramb
                                                • Apr 2003

:?: I wonder... if Rotel's new RDV-1060 DVD player will solve some of these auto-detection problems???

Just ordered a 1066/1075/1060 combo and quite frankly, after reading all these posts, wonder if I made the right decision!

Comment

• Scarp
                                                  • Mar 2003

I never had any problem with detection. Its always very quick with my RSP-1066.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

I've never had a problem either with both my 1066 and 1055's connected to a Sony CD Juke box (optical), Son DVP7700 CD/DVD player (analog and coax) and my new Denon 1600 (analog and optical) so its not on every machine.

Comment

• sdecker
                                                      • Jun 2002

Ive never had a problem with my 1055 while using a Toshiba 3109(coax) or my Sony CE775(optical).

Comment

• LaurentG
                                                        • Apr 2003

Same here, no problem of delay.

Laurent

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"