X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark Paquette
    • Jan 2003

About to join the club, a few ? first

I'm looking to replace a 3 year old Pioneer Elite receiver. I'm looking to add some more power, newer features such as DPLII, video upconversion, better bass management etc. I would be driving a pair of Paradigm Studio 40's, Studio center, a pair of Studio ADP's and a Velodyn SPL 1200 sub. After a very disappointing 24 hour stint with a Denon 3803 and realizing a new Pioneer Elite receiver is going to cost about $3,500, I'm pretty sure I'm ready to make the jump to separates. Could someone help me out with a few questions?

1. Does the 1066 up convert S-video to component? I read something about the newer 1066 units can handle HDTV through the component output. Am I safe to assume a new one purchased today would have this feature?

2. I visited my 2 local Rotel dealers recently. I was able to get a price of $2,100 + tax for a 1066 & 1075. Is this a good price?

3. Is it normal for Rotel dealers to have to order equipment? Both dealers I visited did not stock much and would have to order both pieces, about a 9 day wait period.

4. Everyone seems to rant about the 2 channel stereo performance of the 1066. Is it equally capable with HT?

5. How is the remote? Does it have macro capabilities?

6. Where is Rotel equipment made?

Thanks everybody.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

1. Does the 1066 up convert S-video to component? I read something about the newer 1066 units can handle HDTV through the component output. Am I safe to assume a new one purchased today would have this feature?
    Rotel equipment doesn't upconvert...though the upcoming 1098 might. Persoanlly upconversion should be avoided if possible since it often does more harm then good. The new 1066's can pass upto 200 mhz of bandwidth which is more then enough for HDTV.

2. I visited my 2 local Rotel dealers recently. I was able to get a price of $2,100 + tax for a 1066 & 1075. Is this a good price?

The general concensus seems to be in the 10 to 15 percent off list is about the norm with 20 percent off in the odd occasion.

3. Is it normal for Rotel dealers to have to order equipment? Both dealers I visited did not stock much and would have to order both pieces, about a 9 day wait period.
    It seems rotel gear as of late has been selling very well and numerous people have mentioned having to wait for the dealers to get inventory in.

4. Everyone seems to rant about the 2 channel stereo performance of the 1066. Is it equally capable with HT?
    I'd argue its more capable in HT then 2 channel but its 2 channel is talked about b/c its significantly better then most HT pre amps in this regard.

Remote is ok and I believe it can do macros but since you can buy used pronto's for just over $100 now I'd seriously consider buying one of those instead.

Rotel gear is made at the Rotel factory in china.

Comment

• skullmurdoc
      • Jan 2003

I think that it is a fair price. If im not mistaken most of the forum dweller here payed approximately this price.

I cant say if its "Normal" but I did have to wait to have mine also.

Its true that the 2 channel stereo performance is incredible. For ht I can only compare with Yamaha. Guest what !! The Rotel IMO beat any of the Yamaha model at any price. I cant say why im not a expert, but the sound was that much more involving in Ht.

IMO the remote is very usefull. It has macro capabilities has well has learning function, wich I think is great.

They are Conceived in the Uk but made in Asia.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"