X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jj157
    • May 2015

RB1080 strange sound after shutdown

Hi,

I have the RB1080 that makes a strange sound a couple of seconds after shutdown.
    It sounds like a high frequency whistle and is no longer then a second. It comes through the speakers. It is like pfffieeewwwt

Hope someone knows the problem or can give me some tips ;x(
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Well........Rotel's are known for their strange (or shall I say different from other brands) sounds at start up and shutdown!! All I can recommend is that you check all your wiring and power connections. Make sure the power connection is properly grounded. Also, does the unit make this sound only with a specific source choice selected (ie...CD) or does it happen regardless of what source you were listening to before shutdown?
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

That model Rotel amp has no output relay to disconnect the speakers. What you're hearing is the sound of the power supply main filter caps discharging. It's nothing to be concerned about, just an annoying sound.

Comment

• Jj157
        • May 2015

Thank you both for taking the time to reply!i discovered that the sound comes only from the right speaker and only after i used the amp for more then 1 hour. Does this still mean it is related to the powersupply? I have someone in my family that is good with electronics. Is there something i can have him adjust or replace?

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

One channel or two channels, same issue of power supply discharge. An output relay solves the problem of hearing amplifier turn-on/turn-off noises. Manufacturers may emit relays in the interest of sonic "purity" or to reduce costs. Most such amps rely on DC rail fuses and output fuses as the only protection. If the output stage suffers a catastrophic failure, it is possible for the entire DC power rail voltage to be dumped into one's speakers.

At least with properly working DC detection/overload circuity and output relays for each channel, there is a greater chance they will open instantaneously, and disconnect the speakers. To retrofit output relays into an amp, the job has to be done properly, so as not to look like a hack job.

I have retrofitted DC protection circuitry into amps that didn't have output relays, including my 1970s Phase Linear amp (popularly known back in the day as "flame linear"). Power to operate the circuitry in this case was obtained from the amp main power supply rail, through a voltage divider network (tiny PC board to the right of the two main caps),

Last edited by Glen B; 11 May 2015, 20:44 Monday.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

OMG, that PL is gorgeous!
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"