• PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I know... frustrating isn't it!?
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Woo Wooooo
      • May 2004

I think Rotel is going the way of the Dodo bird..... don't get me wrong, I love my rotel stuff but you have to keep the fire burning and keep people interested otherwise your a dead extinct bird......

Comment

• Mark_C.
        • Jan 2003

Rotel has been sinking into oblivion for several years now. Sad.

Comment

• hurin
          • Sep 2009

At least their new RA-1570 has Bluetooth, but that is something they should have offered years ago, and who is still buying CD players and Tuners anyhow?

They should build a preamp like the NuForce AVP-18.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2006

B&W, Rotel, Classe had a private suite off-site. Otherwise, no Rotel news to report.
            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• hurin
              • Sep 2009

I think Rotel's problem is they got blindsided by the irrelevance of analog audio. They continue to produce products with analog inputs and outputs that noone wants or cares about. When I saw that their RSP 1572 included composite video and a Faroudja video scalar, I felt the company was heading towards its doom. Who is still using such things?

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                • Jan 2014

Dear HT Guide readers,

2013 was a busy year for Rotel, with the introduction of 8 new models.

May: RCD-1570
                June: RA-1570
                October: RMB-1555, RB-1582MKII, RB-1552MKII, RC-1570,
                November: RDD-1580, RMB-1585

Making announcements at CES regarding upcoming models is not generally advisable unless the manufacturer plans on shipping within 90 days. As you can see from the above ship dates, CES does not always coincide with the release date of a new model. Suffice to say that Rotel is hard at work on new generations of products that you will all hear about before they come to market.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
                B&W Group USA
                Bowers & Wilkins / Classe Audio / Rotel

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Patrick, thank you very much for your post, and clarification. Rotel make some great products, and hopefully will continue to do so for some time to come. Their customer base is restless.
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Mark_C.
                    • Jan 2003

Great, Patrick. Except all the local Rotel dealers within 75 miles of my area have dried up and blown away over the past few years or dropped the Rotel line. I replaced my trusty RSP-1066 with the Marantz AV7005 in part because it was inconvenient for me to even check out the newer Rotel products.

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                      • Jan 2014

Mark, it's an unfortunate reality that dealers go out of business. When you build a distribution model on the notion that the best way to serve the interests of consumers is with a knowledgeable dealer who can properly demonstrate and service products, there is no easy solution to them going out of business. I know that we have Rotel dealers in San Francisco, but it sounds like you are quite a bit further north. In any case, thanks for your support of the brand in the past, and good listening.

Best,

Patrick

Comment

• Mikael
                        • Aug 2007

Hi Patrick
                        nice to have someone from the manufacture writing i here. When do us that lives in europe and the us get the RSP-1580/82?

Mikael

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Mikael
                          Hi Patrick
                          nice to have someone from the manufacture writing i here. When do us that lives in europe and the us get the RSP-1580/82?

Mikael
                          Hi Mikael,

There were no announcements at CES regarding upcoming surround sound processors or receivers, although I do know that Rotel is always hard at work on future products.

Best,

Patrick

Comment

• Blindamood
                            • Sep 2003

Thanks for the updates, Patrick! I took a look at Rotel's web site to review a few of the new pieces that you mentioned, and one thing that struck me is that none of the streaming inputs (e.g., USB) support FLAC. Any idea why this is, or if there are plans to add it in the future?
                            Brad

Comment

• wkhanna
                              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Hello Patrick.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to acknowledge us here at HT Guide & respond to some of our concerns.
                              It gives some hope to a group of avid enthusiasts who otherwise, up to this point have been feeling almost abandoned.

It has been a sad thing to watch as loyal devotees of the brand have given up over the past years, after having waited patiently for the typical Rotel innovation in performance, technology & value. These were areas where Rotel excelled, giving many of us our first chance at real mid & hi fidelity systems at a realistic price we could actually afford.

In the 90’s, Rotel made its mark with some of the best sounding stereo equipment available. When the AV market began to take off, Rotel was there, offering components with exceptional sound quality, technical innovation & maintained the Rotel brand tradition of minimal features for features sake in order to put every dollar where it did the most good. This allowed the product to perform well above its price point compared to other brands who typically overloaded with enough superfluous features to keep an ADD ferret happy. But it was at the expense of basic necessities like stable transformers, good power supplies, minimal compromise in circuit design, high quality hardware & rock-solid reliability. All of these being the very thing that brought us to Rotel in the first place.

However, in the ensuing years since, the market has undergone many changes. Stand-alone DAC’s, hard drive based file storage, docking stations, network music players, some with integrated pre amps,USB & streaming inputs, USB headphone amps, DSP, etc. Additionally, it seems apparent that Rotel is not pursuing sales options via the internet, deciding instead to rely on a brick & mortar franchise structure that is limiting to potential & former customers who do not have reasonable access to competent, reliable & trustworthy dealers who seem to be less in number than ever.

I realize that in your role, you are required to be somewhat diplomatic, with obvious limits on specific details you can actually divulge. Still, I strongly believe there are many of us who would appreciate some ‘straight talk’ concerning Rotel’s corporate strategies & plans for the future. You continue to have a loyal fan base who are itching for the innovative technology, sound quality, reliability & customer service that so enamored us to the brand in the past. But even the most devoted will eventually decide that their hard-earned dollar may be better spent elsewhere.

Respectfully,
                              Bill
                              Last edited by wkhanna; 15 January 2014, 09:03 Wednesday.
                              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Mikael
                                • Aug 2007

Hi Patrick
                                I kind of knew that. Since the rsp-1580 is not a new product why cant you (rotel) just release in europe and the us?

Best

Mikael

Comment

• PewterTA
                                  • Nov 2004

Well said Bill.... Well said.
                                  -Dan

Comment

• lradden
                                    • Sep 2012

I hate saying it, but Rotel could easily be going the way of Sears. Rotel uses a brick & mortar model in an internet and will soon be gone due to them sticking to an old school sales model that is outdated. Rotel doesn't have room correction or anything special that would make someone pay for Rotel through a dealer versus buying another brand. To be honest Rotel is actually lacking in sound over the last few years compared to other brands and seems to think that everyone is still listening to vinyl and a purest. I hate quoting Bruce Willis movies, but Rotel is a Timex watch in a digital age.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by lradden
                                      I hate saying it, but Rotel could easily be going the way of Sears. Rotel uses a brick & mortar model in an internet and will soon be gone due to them sticking to an old school sales model that is outdated. Rotel doesn't have room correction or anything special that would make someone pay for Rotel through a dealer versus buying another brand. To be honest Rotel is actually lacking in sound over the last few years compared to other brands and seems to think that everyone is still listening to vinyl and a purest. I hate quoting Bruce Willis movies, but Rotel is a Timex watch in a digital age.
                                      While the RSP 1572 does not have an automated form of DSP or ‘room correction’, it does have 10 individual parametric filters, 5 of which are below 200 Hz. This feature will enable the owner to effectively tailor the room response provided one takes the time & effort to make reasonably accurate measurements & then make the appropriate adjustments. In fact, some may actually prefer this over other DSP options, some of which make summery assumptions which can result in less than expected performance.

I do agree, however, that the level of innovation from both the product & marketing segments since the introduction of the so-called ‘Digital’ line of amps has been, shall we say, less than brisk.
                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• lradden
                                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                        While the RSP 1572 does not have an automated form of DSP or ‘room correction’, it does have 10 individual parametric filters, 5 of which are below 200 Hz. This feature will enable the owner to effectively tailor the room response provided one takes the time & effort to make reasonably accurate measurements & then make the appropriate adjustments. In fact, some may actually prefer this over other DSP options, some of which make summery assumptions which can result in less than expected performance.

I do agree, however, that the level of innovation from both the product & marketing segments since the introduction of the so-called ‘Digital’ line of amps has been, shall we say, less than brisk.
                                        Yes I should have been more specific and said automated room correction. I find it odd that Rotel won't sell over the internet because they want people to use a dealer for a "proper setup", but give them a manual EQ so they can set up things incorrectly instead of an automated room correction that would set up the room per Rotel specifications.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                          • Jan 2006

I do not necessarily disagree with your point.......but to play devil's advocate.....

One might interpret the intended strategy is to deliberately invoke the expertise of the dealer to assist & guarantee proper set-up.
                                          As is often the case, even with some of the best DSP software, after all the measurements have been taken & studied & all the directed adjustments have been made, a final tuning by ear can produce somewhat improved results. An experienced & competent dealer will many times be able to exceed the performance of the DSP alone.
                                          Last edited by wkhanna; 16 January 2014, 22:17 Thursday.
                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• lastexit
                                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by lradden
                                            I hate saying it, but Rotel could easily be going the way of Sears. Rotel uses a brick & mortar model in an internet and will soon be gone due to them sticking to an old school sales model that is outdated. I hate quoting Bruce Willis movies, but Rotel is a Timex watch in a digital age.
                                            Brick and mortar will always be my first choice, but I'm aware there are quite a few fans of the brand who no longer have the ability to audition such products. I have no problem with Rotel selling online in addition to the B&M stores.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              • Jan 2006

Ok, so here is some pure speculation on my part. I have no data or evidence whatsoever to substantiate this conjecture.

B&W Group USA (Bowers & Wilkins / Classe Audio / Rotel) uses only a B&W franchise structure for sales (at least in the US, I am not positive about the other regional markets). As is typical, profit margins rise proportionally with the sales price of the product. So for example, the profit margin percentage on an entry level B&W speaker like the 600 series is significantly less than that of the 800 series. The dealer & B&W Group USA make more profit when they sell more 800 series than 600 series.

The same would be true of Rotel vs Classe. Profit goes up with more sales of higher-end product. What I would be curious to know is just how many Rotel/600 series customers eventually return to upgrade to Classe/800 series.

My suspicion is that they may simply be using the Rotel/600 series as a means to introduce customers to the higher-end, higher-profit product. This strategy benefits both the dealer & the producer by maximizing revenue. Therefore, less investment is made into the lower-end product line were profit margins are slimmer while production costs are not substantially lower.

I am sure my poor theory is as full of holes as the average drug cartel victim, but I’m just trying to figure out why Rotel is doing so little to keep pace with today’s audio market. I realize the market is tougher today than it ever has been, but that is exactly why new approaches to doing business are required. Companies like Schiit & Light Harmonic understand this new environment & have adapted. Incorporating innovative ideas like business models structured to be viable with V slim profit margins, & the use of crowd-funding to not only underwrite production development but incorporate real-time customer feedback on product features & development.

This is the reality of today’s world. And as was demonstrated by many of the manufactures I visited at last year’s Capital Audiofest, to successfully carve out a viable niche in this market, you had better be ready to deliver your product to a much more ‘tech savvy’ customer base.
                                              Last edited by wkhanna; 20 January 2014, 15:23 Monday.
                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                                                • Jan 2014

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your considered post. Many great observations and questions.

As a manufacturer or distributor of specialty electronics, you in general have an option of either pursuing brick and mortar retailers, or the internet for sales. Rotel has long been exclusively sold at stores, because we believe that the best way of serving most consumers is with a quality retailer. To be sure there are less of those now than there were 10 years ago. I think this more indicative of a necessary change in the way retailers go to market rather than a change away from retail. People love to shop. We are happy to refer people to dealers "close" to them even if they are not down the street.

Most of the really sexy innovations in recent audio history have mostly to do with allowing a listener the option of hearing whatever they want, wherever they want. Awesome (really.) That said, you still need great amplifiers, preamplifiers, integrateds, converters and speakers to enjoy the promise of modern streaming conveniences. Rotel's history has been built on offering people an entry into the high end for a fair price. To that end, they continue to crank out great sounding equipment that real people can afford. They introduced 8 new pieces last year, and each of them sound better than what they replaced for roughly the same price. I've had the new RDD-1580 at home for the last couple of weeks breaking in, and I think it's a knockout for $800. When you pick up other designs selling for $1000 dollars, their build quality is embarrassing in comparison. What's the difference? Power supplies. The very same thing Rotel has specialized in since 1957.

Best wishes,

Patrick

Hello Patrick.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to acknowledge us here at HT Guide & respond to some of our concerns.
                                                It gives some hope to a group of avid enthusiasts who otherwise, up to this point have been feeling almost abandoned.

It has been a sad thing to watch as loyal devotees of the brand have given up over the past years, after having waited patiently for the typical Rotel innovation in performance, technology & value. These were areas where Rotel excelled, giving many of us our first chance at real mid & hi fidelity systems at a realistic price we could actually afford.

In the 90’s, Rotel made its mark with some of the best sounding stereo equipment available. When the AV market began to take off, Rotel was there, offering components with exceptional sound quality, technical innovation & maintained the Rotel brand tradition of minimal features for features sake in order to put every dollar where it did the most good. This allowed the product to perform well above its price point compared to other brands who typically overloaded with enough superfluous features to keep an ADD ferret happy. But it was at the expense of basic necessities like stable transformers, good power supplies, minimal compromise in circuit design, high quality hardware & rock-solid reliability. All of these being the very thing that brought us to Rotel in the first place.

However, in the ensuing years since, the market has undergone many changes. Stand-alone DAC’s, hard drive based file storage, docking stations, network music players, some with integrated pre amps,USB & streaming inputs, USB headphone amps, DSP, etc. Additionally, it seems apparent that Rotel is not pursuing sales options via the internet, deciding instead to rely on a brick & mortar franchise structure that is limiting to potential & former customers who do not have reasonable access to competent, reliable & trustworthy dealers who seem to be less in number than ever.

I realize that in your role, you are required to be somewhat diplomatic, with obvious limits on specific details you can actually divulge. Still, I strongly believe there are many of us who would appreciate some ‘straight talk’ concerning Rotel’s corporate strategies & plans for the future. You continue to have a loyal fan base who are itching for the innovative technology, sound quality, reliability & customer service that so enamored us to the brand in the past. But even the most devoted will eventually decide that their hard-earned dollar may be better spent elsewhere.

Respectfully,
                                                Bill

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                  • Nov 2004

Here's where the flaw in that has now come around.

First, is that while there are less B&M locations to go hear various equipment at. I have to say expect for maybe 2 places I've been to... I've completely felt (and I'm positive 100%) that I knew more about the product they were selling and/or how to set the product up to maximize the listen-ability of said product. Now... when I walk into a place and have to do half the work to sell the product and hear it in (often times) sub-par listening environments and have to make a decision based upon this... makes it a much more difficult decision.

With less places to go and hear (say Rotel, but really any manufacturer), that makes it a lot more difficult for consumers to justify taking the time and expense of driving maybe hundreds of miles to go hear something and potentially be disappointed. Which also leads back to the prior point of issues as well.

When someone can order the same thing (as in a speaker comparable to B&W 600s, or Rotel Amp/pre or a DAC)... have it delivered in a few days/week and demo it in their own environment. That's something completely different and gives the end consumer the ability to see where things fit in.

Now I for one am happy that I got to go hear the B&W 802Diamonds before I got them as it gave me an idea what to expect and really demoing them in my home would've been very tough as they are quite large when all boxed up. On the other side of the deal, I would've loved to get them cheaper and had them sent right to my house. Cut out the middle man. Because, honestly, if I could've gotten them cheaper, that money would've (and probably will) go right back into the market towards a new amp/pre/etc.

It's a tough world we live in, espeically when the price of things seems to more dictate where you can find things (ie sub $2k more online and greater than $2k in stores).

Yet there's VERY expensive equipment you can only get online and they seem to be able to make it work....

Ahh who am I kidding, soon you'll just order it and have it 3D printed!
                                                  -Dan

Comment

• Mikael
                                                    • Aug 2007

Hi Patrick

Again its nice to have you onboard, but I still would like to know why your ( Rotels) customers in Europe and the US cant get the RSP-1580. When they can get in Australia and New Zealand and Asia can?

Secondly I would like to know if I was to go to the ISE show in Amsterdam would there be any new Rotel and B&W stuff like the new 600 series or inwall. From Rotel a new pre/pro with xlr in and outs?

Best Mikael

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                      • Jan 2006

As Patrick pointed out, people love to shop.
                                                      Problem is many would rather shop via the internet in the undisturbed privacy of their own home without the often annoying input from incompetent sales reps and/or without having to travel sometimes great distances.

It seems that B&W Group US are far too entrenched in the dealer network process that they have been working with over the many years.
                                                      You have to understand their predicament.
                                                      They can not just undercut the price point of their dealers with on-line offerings.
                                                      If they did, no dealer would agree to their franchise.
                                                      Also, if a dealer looses a sale to the internet from a customer who lives just around the block……..Well ,I am sure you understand how such an arrangement would undermine dealer relationships.

One option might be to take Rotel-only sales to the internet, leaving the B&W speakers & high-end Classe hardware to the dealers.
                                                      However, the few dealers that are left may not want to give up the sales from the Rotel equipment they already have.
                                                      According to Patrick’s sales-speak, I would not expect to see any changes in sales strategies on the horizon anytime soon.

AFA new-product offerings…….am I the only one who fails to get excited about the current state of affairs?

Press release: #1

Press release: #2
                                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                                                        • Jan 2014

Hi Mikael,

What I do know about the RSP-1580 is that with only 4 HDMI inputs, it was a non-starter in North America. While I know the North American market well enough to know that this is true, I can't speak for the rest of the world. That said, none of the countries listed on Rotel's website list the RSP-1580 for sale.

Regarding ISE in Amsterdam, I have no idea what we are going to show there. What I can tell you is that there is a big snow storm in Boston, and I'll be at the office early tomorrow morning.

Best,

Patrick

Originally posted by Mikael
                                                        Hi Patrick

Again its nice to have you onboard, but I still would like to know why your ( Rotels) customers in Europe and the US cant get the RSP-1580. When they can get in Australia and New Zealand and Asia can?

Secondly I would like to know if I was to go to the ISE show in Amsterdam would there be any new Rotel and B&W stuff like the new 600 series or inwall. From Rotel a new pre/pro with xlr in and outs?

Best Mikael

Comment

• Mikael
                                                          • Aug 2007

Hi Patrick

I hope its not going to be to bad over there.

Thanks for the feedback.

best

Mikael

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2007

Ok, so here is some pure speculation on my part. I have no data or evidence whatsoever to substantiate this conjecture.

B&W Group USA (Bowers & Wilkins / Classe Audio / Rotel) uses only a B&W franchise structure for sales (at least in the US, I am not positive about the other regional markets). As is typical, profit margins rise proportionally with the sales price of the product. So for example, the profit margin percentage on an entry level B&W speaker like the 600 series is significantly less than that of the 800 series. The dealer & B&W Group USA make more profit when they sell more 800 series than 600 series.

The same would be true of Rotel vs Classe. Profit goes up with more sales of higher-end product. What I would be curious to know is just how many Rotel/600 series customers eventually return to upgrade to Classe/800 series.

My suspicion is that they may simply be using the Rotel/600 series as a means to introduce customers to the higher-end, higher-profit product. This strategy benefits both the dealer & the producer by maximizing revenue. Therefore, less investment is made into the lower-end product line were profit margins are slimmer while production costs are not substantially lower.

I am sure my poor theory is as full of holes as the average drug cartel victim, but I’m just trying to figure out why Rotel is doing so little to keep pace with today’s audio market. I realize the market is tougher today than it ever has been, but that is exactly why new approaches to doing business are required. Companies like Schiit & Light Harmonic understand this new environment & have adapted. Incorporating innovative ideas like business models structured to be viable with V slim profit margins, & the use of crowd-funding to not only underwrite production development but incorporate real-time customer feedback on product features & development.

This is the reality of today’s world. And as was demonstrated by many of the manufactures I visited at last year’s Capital Audiofest, to successfully carve out a viable niche in this market, you had better be ready to deliver your product to a much more ‘tech savvy’ customer base.
                                                            Actually that is not correct. Profit margins do not always go up with the price of the product, profit dollars do. Margins are lower on a number of more expensive items and B&W is a perfect example of that. The margins are lower on the 800 Series than the rest of the line. The same is true for Paradigm, the Signature Series has lower profit margins than the rest of the line. There may be some product lines out there that the margins go up on the more expensive items but that is not always the case.

Eric

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                              • Jan 2006

Hi Eric,

I totally agree that building the cabinet on an 802di is far more costly than for a 600 series, hence manufacturing costs are significantly higher for the 802 & directly effect MSRP & margin. My line of thinking was a bit more generic where similar cabinets are produced for multiple product lines. In such a case, whether making speakers or electronics, overall manufacturing costs are relatively constant with component (xo & drivers) cost being the major variable.

Therefore, some of the 'premium' lines can command significantly higher MSRP's & margins when the overall manufacturing costs are similar across all the lines.

Regards,
                                                              Bill
                                                              Last edited by wkhanna; 23 January 2014, 14:03 Thursday.
                                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Turkish
                                                                • Jan 2014

I am not exactly sure why everyone is tearing Rotel a new one. I just purchased their new RMB-1555 (120 x 5 A/B AMP) and I can say it sounds better than any of the Marantz amps and looks far sexier with better build quality. I also purchased the new RC-1570 pre amp and for $999 it is one hell of a deal! I own a Marantz UD5007 Blu-ray player, so I like Marantz products as well but the AV7701 has so many features that will never be used by 80% of their owners. Maybe you fall into the 20% so the processor for you is a great product!!! Look at the Cary Cinema 12 or the new Krell Foundation and none of those have streaming features because for $350 you can get sonos which most likely does a better job with streaming services anyways IMHO. I think Marantz's Processors for home theater are a great bargain, but for stereo it leaves a lot to be desired. Also why does a preamp need to be the size of most companies 5 or 7 channel amp offerings? Don't get me wrong a new Pre/Pro from Rotel is long over due, but I think Rotel is actually doing a great job in 2013 with the release of their new products. Patrick I think the main reason people are upset with Rotel's precessor is not the current set of features (maybe it is, but not my personal reason for not buying the RSP-1572) is because the HDMI borad has not worked properly since they implemented them on the RSP-1069.

I think an all digital product is not the answer because they do not allow you to upgrade portions of the system that may be lacking. The AVP-18 is a budget/entry level processor and offers very little to no flexibility if you don't like a specific portion of the audio chain. Upgrade the DAC section...not an option. It also looks like the batmobile from the Dark Night. We all have our unique way we would like products to function and I think having a great analog preamp section is something that will always be used because it offers options.

Sorry to hear some of you guys don't have a close Rotel dealer (fortunately I am only about 8-10 miles away from one here in Buffalo), so maybe offering products direct to people in zip codes that would have to drive more than 30 miles to a dealer would be the answer. Kef uses dealers in the US, but they also offer their products through Kef direct online. That's a simple solution and allows Rotel to monitor it's online supply chain.
                                                                Last edited by Turkish; 03 February 2014, 12:15 Monday.

Comment

• Frank Helmling
                                                                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Turkish
                                                                  I think the main reason people are upset with Rotel's precessor is not the current set of features (maybe it is, but not my personal reason for not buying the RSP-1572) is because the HDMI borad has not worked properly since they implemented them on the RSP-1069.
                                                                  That's exactely the point: This awful "dropout" or at least "clicking sound" via all kind of digital Interface... , since their EQ is simply fabulous and enables you to customized adress your domestic acoustical difficulties ...

And ähem Patrick: A proper type of headphone outlet would be well appreciated by most of us...:W
                                                                  Greetz from Monnem (Mannheim)

Frank

Comment

• Patrick Butler
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2014

Hi Turkish,

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your new RMB-1555 and RC-1570. Speaker Shop is a wonderful dealer, and I always enjoy my visits to Buffalo.

While Rotel has had a checkered past with HDMI (putting them in good company with most other manufacturers ) the RSP-1572 and RSX-1562 work great with most HDMI sources and monitors. We have zero issues in our North Reading facility getting Rotel's HDMI to work properly with 5 different displays. That includes an LG plasma, a Samsung LCD, Pioneer Elite plasma, Epson projector and a Pioneer projector. Sources include Oppo players, a cable box from Comcast and an Apple TV. HDMI being what it is, everybody has their turn with HDMI issues. Google a brand of receivers+hdmi problems and you are quite likely to see many reports of issues.

HDMI, the gift that keeps giving.

Best,

Patrick
                                                                    B&W Group North America

Originally posted by Turkish
                                                                    I am not exactly sure why everyone is tearing Rotel a new one. I just purchased their new RMB-1555 (120 x 5 A/B AMP) and I can say it sounds better than any of the Marantz amps and looks far sexier with better build quality. I also purchased the new RC-1570 pre amp and for $999 it is one hell of a deal! I own a Marantz UD5007 Blu-ray player, so I like Marantz products as well but the AV7701 has so many features that will never be used by 80% of their owners. Maybe you fall into the 20% so the processor for you is a great product!!! Look at the Cary Cinema 12 or the new Krell Foundation and none of those have streaming features because for $350 you can get sonos which most likely does a better job with streaming services anyways IMHO. I think Marantz's Processors for home theater are a great bargain, but for stereo it leaves a lot to be desired. Also why does a preamp need to be the size of most companies 5 or 7 channel amp offerings? Don't get me wrong a new Pre/Pro from Rotel is long over due, but I think Rotel is actually doing a great job in 2013 with the release of their new products. Patrick I think the main reason people are upset with Rotel's precessor is not the current set of features (maybe it is, but not my personal reason for not buying the RSP-1572) is because the HDMI borad has not worked properly since they implemented them on the RSP-1069.

I think an all digital product is not the answer because they do not allow you to upgrade portions of the system that may be lacking. The AVP-18 is a budget/entry level processor and offers very little to no flexibility if you don't like a specific portion of the audio chain. Upgrade the DAC section...not an option. It also looks like the batmobile from the Dark Night. We all have our unique way we would like products to function and I think having a great analog preamp section is something that will always be used because it offers options.

Sorry to hear some of you guys don't have a close Rotel dealer (fortunately I am only about 8-10 miles away from one here in Buffalo), so maybe offering products direct to people in zip codes that would have to drive more than 30 miles to a dealer would be the answer. Kef uses dealers in the US, but they also offer their products through Kef direct online. That's a simple solution and allows Rotel to monitor it's online supply chain.

Comment

• TomScrut
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Patrick Butler
                                                                      HDMI, the gift that keeps giving.
                                                                      Well, that's one way to look at it!!!
                                                                      Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• T-Rice
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2014

hi everyone! I'm a first-timer on this forum. thanks for having me!

The above posts are interesting.I would also like to thank Patrick for addressing the many questions and concerns.

I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of my new Rotel gear....the new RB-1582 MkII, RC-1570, and the RCD-1570. The whole package! man, i'm excited....should be delivered in 2 days!

I live in northern British Columbia, and didn't have the opportunity to actually LISTEN to Rotel's new gear before making the purchase. The new products offered by Rotel appeal to me for several reasons. The pre-amp offers the flexibility I need as my music collection is a mix of digital and vinyl, and the power amp will provide the amplification I need to run my Thiel speakers. And the overall price is manageable.....for now!

I have confidence in Rotel's power supply as I used to have an old Rotel power/pre set up to drive a massive pair of Paradigm floorstands back in the mid 1990's. The sound was solid, warm and with smooth full bass. There's been a few systems in between then and now...glad to going back to Rotel.

By the way...does anyone have advice on interconnects (not going balanced at this time, unless I'm convinced)...and also, thinking about upgrading speakers in the next year or so. Any advice? The B&W CM9 or CM10's look interesting...Kevin, any suggestions here?

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"