X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • possum
    • Nov 2013

Value of Rotel RMB-100

Hi,

I'm considering buying a pair of Rotel RMB-100 mono amplifiers from my cousin as he's currently ot using them. However, none of us have a clue as to their current value. The amps are manufactured in 2000 or possibly 2001. What would be an estimated value for these bad-boys?
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Originally offered from 1995 - 1999
    100 watt @ 8 ohm
    200 watt @ 4 ohm
    balanced & single ended inputs
    msr of $700 (each)

I have read reports (though I have no idea how reliable) of them going on Ebay as recently as this year for $150 to $300.

As with anything on the used market, condition is everything.

Still, any amp over 10 years of age should be gone over & probably have all if not most of its capacitors replaced & its bias adjusted.
    The older Rotel amps have a well deserved reputation for being quite durable & tolerant of abuse.

Besides that, having owned a few including my first 'real' amp, a RB-980, I am still using an RB-990, RB-1050 & a modified RB-1090.

I think they have a mostly neutral sound quality in general & any of the few shortcomings are those of omissions, which for me is far preferable to colorations induced by an amp.
    Last edited by wkhanna; 19 November 2013, 17:09 Tuesday.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• possum
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by wkhanna
      Originally offered from 1995 - 1999
      100 watt @ 8 ohm
      200 watt @ 4 ohm
      balanced & single ended inputs
      msr of $700 (each)

I have read reports (though I have no idea how reliable) of them going on Ebay as recently as this year for $150 to $300.

As with anything on the used market, condition is everything.

Thanks for you reply and the info about the amps. The price of $150-300 is that for the pair?

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by possum
        Thanks for you reply and the info about the amps. The price of $150-300 is that for the pair?
        Each......... but the reference I got this from is one I am not familiar with & I have no evidence as to its accuracy.

IMHO, these amps are fairly rare, however that alone does make them particularly prized or cherished.
        While I have never heard this exact model, I would expect the typical Rotel "House Sound" from them.

As a benchmark, the newer RB-1080 (a 200 watt 2-ch amp) is going for anywhere from $350 -$600 on ePray today.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"