X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoMan
    • Jan 2007

Vibrations

Hi all,

I need to disassemble my Salamander unit this weekend. I have a mount attachment that I need to take off, take the top off, remove the spanner post and put in a centre channel speaker(Def Tech CLR 3000) and reassemble.

Most of my gear is Rotel and when I'm assembling the Lcd mount attachment I need to hit the post down with a rubber mallet and last time I needed to really pound the post in as they are pretty tight fit on the pegs.

My question is can the vibrations from the pounding affect my Rotel gear if I left them in the cabinet? Could it cause something to come loose in the equipment etc. Any suggestions, comments would help and most appreciated.

Thanks all.

RoMan :T
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RoMan
    My question is can the vibrations from the pounding affect my Rotel gear if I left them in the cabinet? Could it cause something to come loose in the equipment etc. Any suggestions, comments would help and most appreciated.
    I would clear the work space of any expensive electronics before hammering anything! It just seems to make sense! Accidents, or unforeseen events, can ruin the day
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

[QUOTE=mjb]I would clear the work space of any expensive electronics before hammering anything! It just seems to make sense! Accidents, or unforeseen events, can ruin the day [/QUOTE

:E Don't do it....remove the equipment. I agree with Mike........
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• RoMan
        • Jan 2007

Thanks fellas. Here is a kicker. Once I remove the mount, top and I don't have to remove the spanner post, I can just bring the CLR over the spanner post and place in the centre shelf rack. The kicker here is that once I do that I still need to secure the top and reassemble the mount back on the unit. I was thinking if I can place some bubble wrap underneath the speaker to absorb the vibrations that will happen when I start to knock down the post on the cabinet.

Remember I only have about an inch clearance in the centre shelf so I hopefully the bubble wrap is enough to absorb the hammering vibrations. A suggestion was to put cooking oil on the pegs so that the pegs may slide off easier. Any other suggestions?

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by RoMan
          Thanks fellas. Here is a kicker. Once I remove the mount, top and I don't have to remove the spanner post, I can just bring the CLR over the spanner post and place in the centre shelf rack. The kicker here is that once I do that I still need to secure the top and reassemble the mount back on the unit. I was thinking if I can place some bubble wrap underneath the speaker to absorb the vibrations that will happen when I start to knock down the post on the cabinet.

Remember I only have about an inch clearance in the centre shelf so I hopefully the bubble wrap is enough to absorb the hammering vibrations. A suggestion was to put cooking oil on the pegs so that the pegs may slide off easier. Any other suggestions?

Penetrating oil or WD-40 :T
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• RoMan
            • Jan 2007

The cooking oil worked. When I contacted Salamander he said that it should go on easier the second time because the metal shavings would be gone from the inside of the posts. He was definitely right about that because it did go on a lot easier for sure.

RoMan

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"