X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uav83
    • Feb 2011

Rotel RSP-1098 VS. Rotel RSP-1068

I am looking at upgrading my pre-amp and have come across the 1098 and the 1068. I primarily listen to Music, but also want it to perform well with movies when I do watch them. On Rotel's website, it says the 1068 took the flagship from the 1098? Is this true? Does anyone have any thoughts on which way to go? I run a 2.1 set up. Thanks in advance for any help!
  • Uav83
    • Feb 2011

Thanks for the help!

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

IMO the 1098 is was the better product, especially for pure stereo. Its been largely replaced by the 1570 which also supports HDMI and the new HD cinema formats. If you're primarily interested in stereo, a second-hand 1098 would be a nice purchase.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• BWzes03
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Uav83
        On Rotel's website, it says the 1068 took the flagship from the 1098? Is this true?
        'It took a page from the 1098', meaning, the lessons learned in building the 1098, were used to build a better 'budget' version of the 106x spec processors.

The DSP and Surround processor used in the 1098 are built into the 1068 and 1069 as well and also higher spec DACs (and ADCs) are used than in the previous 1067/1066 processor.

But, the 1098 is still the highest spec processor of the two, since the DACs, the analog output stages and specifically the power supplies in the 1098 are much better than the 1068. I'd say, go for the 1098 !

Comment

• TommyV
          • Feb 2007

I vote 1098 over 1068 for ANALOG music. If you plan to go digital, get a 1069.

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

I love my 1098... it's showing me new levels of musicality each time I make changes. Playing things from my CA 840c (CD or Hi-Res FLAC files) and the analog stages really shine!
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• PSUfan
              • May 2004

I have listened to both of them. Although I agree that the 1098 is the higher spec of the two, the 1068 is quite capable and has excellent sound quality. I recently purchased the 1570 to replace my 1068. After a few months of the 1570 I could no longer deal with the hdmi handshaking issues. Not to mention I felt the sound quality of the 1570 was off. It just wasn't as warm as the 1068. I sold the 1570 and purchased my 1068 back from the dealer I traded it in at. Not to mention, in my opinion, I think the analog connections from my bluray player produce better ht quality than the hdmi connection. I could be completely off their, but I really think the surround sound is improved over the hdmi connection.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by PSUfan
                I have listened to both of them. Although I agree that the 1098 is the higher spec of the two, the 1068 is quite capable and has excellent sound quality. I recently purchased the 1570 to replace my 1068. After a few months of the 1570 I could no longer deal with the hdmi handshaking issues. Not to mention I felt the sound quality of the 1570 was off. It just wasn't as warm as the 1068. I sold the 1570 and purchased my 1068 back from the dealer I traded it in at. Not to mention, in my opinion, I think the analog connections from my bluray player produce better ht quality than the hdmi connection. I could be completely off their, but I really think the surround sound is improved over the hdmi connection.
                Depending on which BD player you are using, it could very well have better DAC's than the one's inside the rotel. As well, you get rid of the handshake issues!!. Bonus !!.

My opinion on music vs home theatre is this. A receiver or Amp/processor that sounds good with music will most certainly sound good playing movies. Vice verse is not always the case.
                Dan Madden :T

Comment

• chanlon
                  • Sep 2003

I owned the 1068/1069 and now the 1570.
                  I believe the sound of the 1570 is substantially better than the 1068.
                  The 1069 sounds identical to the 1570 IMO.

There is a much lower noise floor. When you turn the volume know, its basically dead silent. Perhaps there was something wrong with my 1068.
                  The soundstage appears to be much wider, with a terrific top end. Its rolled a little, but has lots of extension.

Now....the HDMI issues that's a different story. They are well documented around here. And I agree that audio over HDMI doesn't sound too great.
                  I hear a harsh, abrasive sound over HDMI. It lacks musicality and warmth.
                  As a result, I'm using the Oppo BDP95 connected using analog too.

Comment

• TommyV
                    • Feb 2007

I went from the RSX-1058 to the 1069/1075 (1565 for now). With the updated software that Rotel put out after working with them, I think the 1069 is a very solid platform. I have stayed away from the 1570 because there are too many reports of issues and I have none. I am hopeful there is a 1571 somewhere in the near future with Dolby Volume and all the issues worked out but until then I am happy with what I have.

The 1069 IMO is the best all around Rotel pre/pro. If you are mainly focused on analog 2ch music, I suggest switching to a 2ch setup. You could always get a preamp with HT bypass if you have enough room for it.

Comment

• eelco74
                      • Dec 2002

I actually owned the 1068 until I got the chance to upgrade to the 1098. The 1098 as far as analogue music is superior to the 1068. But you definately need the matching system (amp amd speakers) to benefit from the sonic update the 1098 brings.

I personally use the analogue inputs a lot, I combined it with the Marantz UD8004 universal player as it brings DTS-HD/Dolby True and SACD/CD via the 7.1 analogue output.

I might only trade the 1098 for the new RSP-1580.
                      Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                      Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                      Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"