X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruins02116
    • Jan 2011

Rotel 1057 problem?

i am very new at this stuff, and i am a rookie. I will try to explain my problem as best I can, and hopefully somebody can offer a resolution.

I have a plasma Samsung hooked up to my rotel 1057.
    I have my cable box plugged into VIDeo 1 via HDMI, and then i have another HDMI going from the rotel (out) to the TV.
    It seems that every time i come home and turn on my ROTel 1057 and my television, a snowy picture blinks on and off - but the sound works.. Very strange. So then, all i do is go to my TV, move the HDMI to another input, then the snowy blinking picture, goes away.

So i experimented. It seems that when I turn on my television first, then teh rotel receiver the picture comes through. However when I turn on the Rotel receiver, then my television, the snow blinking picture flashes on and off.

Can somebody explain this to me? Is there a problem with my Rotel Receiver. I dont think there is a problem with my TV because when i move the input to another HDMI slot, it seems to work fine. It seems that there is a signal problem when rotel 1057 tries sending to my TV. And i have used all kind of different HDMI cables, so i know its not the cables.

Thank you for any help. I appreciate it...
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Ahhh....we all love HDMI don't we !!??. All it is is a 'handshake' issue between the Rotel and the TV on startup. There is nothing wrong with your Rotel. Why do you use the Rotel as a HDMI switcher?. The 1057 does not decode HDMI audio so it is really only a switcher (I have the 1057 myself). Most TV's have plenty of HDMI inputs on them so I honestly would not use the Rotel for switching. Hook everything up direct to the TV is what I recommend and send the audio to your Rotel by toslink or coax. If you MUST use the Rotel for HDMI video switching, I would do what works....turn on the TV first.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Anovak
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by madmac
      Ahhh....we all love HDMI don't we !!??. All it is is a 'handshake' issue between the Rotel and the TV on startup. There is nothing wrong with your Rotel. Why do you use the Rotel as a HDMI switcher?. The 1057 does not decode HDMI audio so it is really only a switcher (I have the 1057 myself). Most TV's have plenty of HDMI inputs on them so I honestly would not use the Rotel for switching. Hook everything up direct to the TV is what I recommend and send the audio to your Rotel by toslink or coax. If you MUST use the Rotel for HDMI video switching, I would do what works....turn on the TV first.
      Would totally agree with Madmac.....most folks like to run the HDMI directly to the tv from their cable box. This way the picture AND sound will go to the tv should you want to just watch tv without turning on your system. Then, there should be an optical (also called Toslink) output that you can run to your Rotel 1057 for your audio. Same with a satellite tv receiver. Personally, I like the sound better running another set of L and R audio cables from the analog output on the box/receiver and listening in 5ch stereo..... :E Yep, sounds better to me than most of the dd5.1 soundtracks the cable/satellite folks transmit, but that's just me. Occasionally, I'll listen in dolby 5.1, but usually not for long and find myself going back to the analog input. Try them all and see what YOU like. But meanwhile, hope your question is answered.

Andy

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Anovak is a 5ch stereo nut !! :-)

I like my music that way but I let the Rotel decode TV, dvd and blu ray movies for surround sound and the correct Low freq. effects that are encoded into them.

Some concerts however sound better in PCM 2ch out and played by the Rotel in 5ch stereo though. Since I do not have access through my ps3 to decode the hi def DTS stuff on my RSX-1057, I send the pcm signal to the Rotel and play those in 5ch stereo. I am quite sure by doing this that I am at least getting 24 bit quality sound that way. At least it sounds like 24 bit sound to my ears. Way better than ordinary DTS or D. Digital!!

Comment

• Anovak
          • Dec 2008

Anovak is a 5ch stereo nut !! :-)

I like my music that way but I let the Rotel decode TV, dvd and blu ray movies for surround sound and the correct Low freq. effects that are encoded into them.

Some concerts however sound better in PCM 2ch out and played by the Rotel in 5ch stereo though. Since I do not have access through my ps3 to decode the hi def DTS stuff on my RSX-1057, I send the pcm signal to the Rotel and play those in 5ch stereo. I am quite sure by doing this that I am at least getting 24 bit quality sound that way. At least it sounds like 24 bit sound to my ears. Way better than ordinary DTS or D. Digital!!
          Guilty as charged, madmac, and I consider that a compliment!!!

You'll be surprised to hear, perhaps, that the movies I own and play occasionally I do so using the 5.1 soundtrack as it sounds really good in most cases.....especially the bluray hi-res audio tracks.

I'm just not sold that what you get from Directv in terms of the soundtracks they provide is the same as what you get with the dvd in the player....just an observation, and based on satellite tv's propensity to compress everything to the max, even hd video content is not really hd as I've read in other places after researching the subject due to my own observations of inferior quality video.

To my ears, the dialogue is much clearer in the 5ch mode from analog and the overall sound is crisper and more full, complete. The DD5.1 tracks I've heard sound like there's something missing and almost muffled....not crisp at all, and I wind up turning up the volume a lot so when there IS a spike, it is way too loud. Just some observations.

Andy

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

@Anovak....I'm not a big tv fan but I get my HDTV free over the air and let me tell you, it is WAY better than anything you can get from Satellite or cable HDTV. Crystal clear with zero artifacts in the picture. Deep, vivid color and dolby digital sound when you hook up the optical out on the back of the TV to the Rotel. You are absolutely correct about the compression both in the audio and video. An ordinary dvd will produce much better sound than any video carrier service.

Comment

• Anovak
              • Dec 2008

@Anovak....I'm not a big tv fan but I get my HDTV free over the air and let me tell you, it is WAY better than anything you can get from Satellite or cable HDTV. Crystal clear with zero artifacts in the picture. Deep, vivid color and dolby digital sound when you hook up the optical out on the back of the TV to the Rotel. You are absolutely correct about the compression both in the audio and video. An ordinary dvd will produce much better sound than any video carrier service.
              Madmac, right on.....that's my point, and I too have access to several off-air hdtv stations that just knock the socks off the satellite feeds. There oughta be some kind of disclosure satellite tv should have to make about the true content of their signal....but, most folks are so much happier with what they call hd than what they once had, sd, that they just seem content with it. Then, once you see true hd, you know how we're being gouged.....again! Sorry for the rant, just one of my peeves! On the up side, I'm a Rockies baseball fan and now I can at least make out "who's on first....." :P

Andy

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Like I said, I'm not a big TV fan and the 12 or so stations I get with over the air digital broadcast is fine for me. Many people like their cable only sports stations and such. Obviously, if that is a necessity then your gonna' need cable or satellite.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"