X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spookyslow
    • Oct 2004

Best Rotel Player for 2 Channel?

I'm in search of player for my 2 channel setup. I'm currently running an RC 1070 pre (next on the upgrade list) w/ an RM 1080 amp w/ 805's.

Basically, I've given up on finding a quality digital music source and have conceded that I've got to return to discs. I'm also very content with this setup remaining dedicated 2 channel.

So the question---which Rotel player will sound best? I know there's lots of love out there for some retired model players. Is there one that stands out above the rest compared to Rotel's current lineup?

Oh and since my wife likes the convenience of loading up 5 discs....is there a carousel worth looking at as well?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
  • cZwUV620
    • Apr 2010

You may want to look for a used RCD-1072 in good condition. I've had one for several years and it's very reliable. It's also got a good transport as well in case you want to add an external DAC later down the road. I used a Neko Audio D100 DAC with the Rotel's transports to excellent results.

Comment

• TommyV
      • Feb 2007

The new Rotel RCD-1520 is by far the best sounding Rotel CD player that has ever been produced. Way better than the 1072.

Emotiva makes a DAC now that looks great and has some good feedback from owners. You could get a 5 disn changer and run it into that DAC and probably get some good results. The Rotel RCC-1055 is definitely one of the best out there and sounds pretty good even on its own.

Comment

• Spookyslow
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by TommyV
        The new Rotel RCD-1520 is by far the best sounding Rotel CD player that has ever been produced. Way better than the 1072.

Emotiva makes a DAC now that looks great and has some good feedback from owners. You could get a 5 disn changer and run it into that DAC and probably get some good results. The Rotel RCC-1055 is definitely one of the best out there and sounds pretty good even on its own.

I really like the idea of going with a 1055 and adding a suitable DAC (hadn't even thought of that!). It's like the best of both worlds---convenience of multiple discs with superb sound quality.

Anyone know if the 1055 is still available or am off to comb interwebs for one?

Comment

• june
          • Feb 2005

hello spookyslow,

i'm using the rcd-1055 / rsp-1066 & rcd-955 / rsp-1068 combos. very happy with both systems. Smooth Jazz is 95% of with i listen to. I got both units from audiogon http://cgis.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/src...ng=rotel&B1=go.
          June
          "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• cZwUV620
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Spookyslow
            I really like the idea of going with a 1055 and adding a suitable DAC
            Sounds like a good combination. If I remember correctly, the 1055 changer shares the same specs and DAC as the single-disc 1072 I recommended to you earlier -- except the changer uses an El Core transformer as opposed to a toroidal.

What's your budget for a DAC? If you're looking in the $1k range, try to squeeze up a bit and add the Neko Audio D100 to your list. Wes is a great guy to deal with and offers a free 30-day home trial.

Comment

• cZwUV620
              • Apr 2010

What are the big improvements Tommy? I've tried to look for comparisons for a while now and there's basically very little in regards to consumer reviews and opinions about the newer 1520.

Comment

• TommyV
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cZwUV620
                What are the big improvements Tommy? I've tried to look for comparisons for a while now and there's basically very little in regards to consumer reviews and opinions about the newer 1520.
                Well I could not tell you in terms of all the components and internal design changes. I do know they have now switched to using Wolfson DAC as opposed to Burr Brown.

Info Sheet for RCD-1520

I can tell you this, I have listened to this player extensively and it completely blew me away. Far above the 1072. If I was going to buy a stand alone CD player, it would be the 1520 without question.

Comment

• BWzes03
                  • Oct 2005

Well I could not tell you in terms of all the components and internal design changes. I do know they have now switched to using Wolfson DAC as opposed to Burr Brown.

Info Sheet for RCD-1520

I can tell you this, I have listened to this player extensively and it completely blew me away. Far above the 1072. If I was going to buy a stand alone CD player, it would be the 1520 without question.
                  That 1520 looks exactly like the 1072 does, only the transport is now a slim-line slot-in computer version in stead of the dedicated CD transport by Sony.

The other difference is not visible (DAC) as it is likely placed on the underside of the PCB like the BurrBrown was in the 1072.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"