X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank Helmling
    • May 2009

prefered listening volume level on your ROTEL

Which is your average listening volume adjustment on your ROTEL?
    And where is your movie reference volumelevel?

I have measured in my room at my RSX 1550, a level of "80" as being the cinema reference level - which produces on my listening position a maximum peak of 96dB (ironman 2, "skydiving scene" at the beginning of chapter 2) for example.
    This seems to be rather loud to my ears and usually I watch my movies 8 - 10 scales lower (70 - 72 at the ROTEL). How reliable are those stories of having 115 dB's at the listening position (and survive.... :E )?
    Greetz from Monnem (Mannheim)

Frank
  • hurin
    • Sep 2009

I fail to see how such numbers could be of relevance to anyone. As they depend on how good your hearing is, what type of music you listen to, your speakers, and the size of your room.

Comment

• Frank Helmling
      • May 2009

It's of relevance to me because I'm interested to know!
      Speakersize and roomsize don't matter as you should use a sound level meter to find out your movie reference level. And that's the point:

1. How much do have you to push your ROTEL therefore? - and

2. Do you play your movietracks at such levels?

3. What does that mean in terms of sound pressure?

Frank

Comment

• Frank Helmling
        • May 2009

No one interested in posting his specs?

Frank

Comment

• Gsrrrrrrrrr
          • Aug 2009

The reference level on my RSP 1570 is 78 and I typically listen at a max of 70 to 72, depending on the disc (one extreme case is the Quantum of Solace blu-ray, which was ear-piercing at 70). I have read numerous times that most people find the reference level to be uncomfortably loud in the home environment. If you boost the sub-woofer level above reference you can maintain the low-bass feel, while keeping the overall level from sounding too loud (the ear is less sensitive to frequencies at the extremes).

Comment

• BWLover
            • Jan 2009

I think (keyword THINK) those reference levels were based on huge movie theaters like IMAX. Or something to that effect. I also agree that reference levels in the home are much to loud. I haven't watched a movie since I went from my RSX-1058 to my RB-1080/RC-1082. But on that, the max vol. for music is usually at VERY MOST 11 o'clock. But comfortably 9-10 o'clock. I also think that music and movies must be recorded differently because it always seems that movies are turned up higher then music. Almost to the point where if i were to put my cd's at the same vol as a movie, i would blow them.
            Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
            Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
            Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
            Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
            Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
            Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
            Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
            Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
            Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
            Playstation 3
            Shaw HD PVR
            Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Frank Helmling
              • May 2009

many thanks for your replies, fellows. This is useful information for me!

Frank

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by BWLover
                I also think that music and movies must be recorded differently because it always seems that movies are turned up higher then music. Almost to the point where if i were to put my cd's at the same vol as a movie, i would blow them.
                I'm sure someone can correct me, but I think music CD's are recorded with a dynamic range of 10-15 dB, but films are around 105dB. This is why you tend to turn movies up louder, you need to be able to hear the very faint wispering which might be as much as 105 dB softer than the big explosions.
                Music is much more constant in its output, with a much lower dynamic range. Using compression (which reduces the DR even more), you can record the cd much "hotter"... this has become a marketing ploy, as people tend to think "louder" sounds better, but really you're being fooled by the compression technology.
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Frank Helmling
                  • May 2009

Music is, of course, a completely different thing: Most of the newer cd's are very loud recorded, playing them with the volume set to 60 seems to be a good playback level others I can easily play up to 75 the difference is horrible you don't know how to set your setup.

I'm want to hear music and don't want to act as a fu..... deejay (adjusting volume and bass contour level with every new cd)

One thing you do not face over the ocean (I am a german) is the audioproblem with movies. With a fair amount of movietracks (approx. 50%) the german Dolby or DTS track is severely compressed for what reason ever..... When I first listened to star wars EPI Podrace in it's original englsh playback it blew me off the couch compared to the german one.......

Frank

Comment

• Mark_C.
                    • Jan 2003

My Rotel RSP-1066 is calibrated to 75 db. We usually listen to movies at 56 to 62.

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

I run all my music and movies with all 5 channels driven into 8 ohm speakers in an average size living room (13X18 feet) and music (cd's) is typically run at 64 on the Rotel dial. Movies can be pushed to 70 on the dial. My music is quite loud at 65 and movie's too @ 69-70 on the dial. I have NEVER gone higher than 70 on the dial. If you go above that which would be like 2 o'clock on a regular dial, your speakers and room are not suited for the amp that's driving them and you are pushing the amp too hard in my opinion.
                      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Blindamood
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by madmac
                        I run all my music and movies with all 5 channels driven into 8 ohm speakers in an average size living room (13X18 feet) and music (cd's) is typically run at 64 on the Rotel dial. Movies can be pushed to 70 on the dial. My music is quite loud at 65 and movie's too @ 69-70 on the dial. I have NEVER gone higher than 70 on the dial. If you go above that which would be like 2 o'clock on a regular dial, your speakers and room are not suited for the amp that's driving them and you are pushing the amp too hard in my opinion.
                        Sounds exactly like my scenario and listening levels, using the RSP-1570 and RMB-1565, driving B&W monitors all around.
                        Brad

Comment

• Frank Helmling
                          • May 2009

Thanks for the new replies.
                          Just got the information that I've got to add around 6 dB to my SPL-meter results since they'd been done in dB(c) mode.
                          This leads to a peak of 102 dB instead of 96 dB for ironman and of course this is to loud since the new reverence level (paying attention to the above mentioned) is at 77 volume adjustment, which should settle the scale at around 99 - 100dB peak with ironman

My room is 20 x 13 and I drive a 5.3 set with 683's as fronts being cutted out at 100Hz because of roommodes and letting the subs (ASW 610) do the work as a Single Bass Array at the front.

Just played Police "Greatest Hits" at 75 Volume which was not really loud.....

Even at night I play that cd at 60 which seems to be a neighbourfriendly volume.....

Frank

Comment

• gp4Jesus
                            • Jan 2010

I like my 1068 about 80. My family prefers 65-70.
                            Several factors dictate one's "reference" level. Available power-1KW+ for my system.
                            Speaker sensitivty-adjusting channel levels against the least, most, or middle sensitive speaker.
                            Room size & acoustics-large or small, lively or dead. And finally LOUD to one maybe "not-so" to another. Just my $.02

Cheers tony
                            Samsung 60" LED
                            Outlaw Audio 976
                            Samsung BDP, Dish Network

BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
                            Canare 14 ga - LCR inside; CC outside
                            LR: RTi A7 Triamped
                            M & T: Rotel RB-981
                            Bass: Rotel RB-980BX ->8ga in & out

CC: Rotel RB981 -> CSi A6 Bi-amped
                            SW: LFE - Sunfire; Audio Pro Evidence @ each corner
                            Surrounds: Rotel RB981 -> RTi A3
                            Power Conditioning & Distribution: APC H15, 4 Furman Miniport 20s; 3 dedicated 20A feeds

Comment

• Nuthed
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Frank Helmling
                              Which is your average listening volume adjustment on your ROTEL?
                              And where is your movie reference volumelevel?

I have measured in my room at my RSX 1550, a level of "80" as being the cinema reference level - which produces on my listening position a maximum peak of 96dB (ironman 2, "skydiving scene" at the beginning of chapter 2) for example.
                              This seems to be rather loud to my ears and usually I watch my movies 8 - 10 scales lower (70 - 72 at the ROTEL). How reliable are those stories of having 115 dB's at the listening position (and survive.... :E )?
                              What number is indicated on your AVR is relative to what you have your individual channel trim levels set to in the speaker menu.

IOWs 80 doesn't mean anything. I could come over to your place and jack the trims and get the same volume at a lower indicated front panel number.
                              Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
                              RB980-BX driving mains
                              Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                              Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
                              Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
                              SVS PB-12

Comment

• Frank Helmling
                                • May 2009

that's right. But, just in case I had set a severe reduction with my front chanels (which are the ones of interest since they're used for stereo and movies), I would have mentioned!

Frank

Comment

• PewterTA
                                  • Nov 2004

Either I'm off... or my amp (rb-1090) rocks.

I listen to most things at 50 if I want it loud, 60.
                                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                  -Dan

Comment

• Nuthed
                                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Frank Helmling
                                    that's right. But, just in case I had set a severe reduction with my front chanels (which are the ones of interest since they're used for stereo and movies), I would have mentioned!
                                    Have you done a proper calibration?

The way I used to do mine, right or wrong, was to determine which speaker was loudest at the main listening position using a Radio Shack SPL meter when ALL trims were set to "0"db .

When determined, leave it at "0" and adjust the master volume level to attain 75db from the loudest speaker at the main listening position using your SPL meter. From there it is easy, keeping your master volume at the previously determined setting, adjust the individual trim levels to attain that same 75db at the main listening position. With the exception of your subwoofer (if you have one) you should be properly calibrated.

The sub is a little trickier. You need to employ a correction table and it also helps to know exactly what frequency you are using to calibrate the sub. Using something other than the receiver's or pre/pro's pink noise is better when it comes to the sub since you can select the freqeuncy to use and apply whatever correction is needed. I have an Avia set-up disc that I have used in the past. I have since just written the numbers down and refer to that if my settings are lost, or in the case of my Integra, I let Audyssey do it's thing.

Here is a subwoofer correction table:

FREQUENCY CORRECTION FACTOR

12Hz add 16.5dB
                                    16Hz add 11.5dB
                                    20Hz add 7.5dB
                                    25Hz add 5dB
                                    31.5Hz add 3dB
                                    40Hz add 2.5dB
                                    50Hz add 1.5dB
                                    63Hz add 1.5dB
                                    80Hz add 1.5dB
                                    100Hz add 2dB
                                    125Hz add .5dB
                                    Last edited by Nuthed; 26 October 2010, 15:34 Tuesday.
                                    Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
                                    RB980-BX driving mains
                                    Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                                    Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
                                    Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
                                    SVS PB-12

Comment

• Frank Helmling
                                      • May 2009

Originally posted by Nuthed
                                      Have you done a proper calibration?

Here is a subwoofer correction table:

FREQUENCY CORRECTION FACTOR

12Hz add 16.5dB
                                      16Hz add 11.5dB
                                      20Hz add 7.5dB
                                      25Hz add 5dB
                                      31.5Hz add 3dB
                                      40Hz add 2.5dB
                                      50Hz add 1.5dB
                                      63Hz add 1.5dB
                                      80Hz add 1.5dB
                                      100Hz add 2dB
                                      125Hz add .5dB
                                      Yeah I think so, I've done it via ARTA with every single chanel. The picture shows my two fronts and the subs (3, sba-pattern).

Thanks for the subwoofer correction table!
                                      Attached Files

Frank

Comment

• gp4Jesus
                                        • Jan 2010

to Nuthed: You have done a proper calibration!

I applaud you. I believe those are the instructions from the manual!

Also thanks for the subwoofer correction table.

My apologies for not mentioning in my previous post, "100" is max volume for my RSP 1068. Also, some speakers can sound louder than others because of peak(s) between 1K hz & 6K hz.

many others made valid points about "adjustments"

cheers tony
                                        Samsung 60" LED
                                        Outlaw Audio 976
                                        Samsung BDP, Dish Network

BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
                                        Canare 14 ga - LCR inside; CC outside
                                        LR: RTi A7 Triamped
                                        M & T: Rotel RB-981
                                        Bass: Rotel RB-980BX ->8ga in & out

CC: Rotel RB981 -> CSi A6 Bi-amped
                                        SW: LFE - Sunfire; Audio Pro Evidence @ each corner
                                        Surrounds: Rotel RB981 -> RTi A3
                                        Power Conditioning & Distribution: APC H15, 4 Furman Miniport 20s; 3 dedicated 20A feeds

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"