X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rashad01138
    • Jun 2010

4 and 8 ohms

If I want to get 500 watts x 2 channels 4 ohms, how do I achieve this? I plan to buy a Rotel RSP-1570 processor and a Rotel RB-1572. Is there a setting or switch I need to turn on?

I am sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks.
  • Space
    • Aug 2009

Looks like you've chosen the right amp to deliver that amount of power--you just hook it up to a pair of 4-ohm speakers. Is that all you were trying to figure out? The impedance (ohm rating) is a property of the speakers.

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
      • Oct 2009

Some receivers have switches that say 4ohms or 8ohms. This switch is typically to limit the amount of current that a receiver can supply in the 4ohm setting. This is for receivers that might be damaged by putting out that much current. Your Rotel will just keep pumping current out and will not be damaged as it is designed to be able to handle these conditions. That switch on receivers is probably what caused your confusion. I am a proponent of always leaving the switch on receivers in the 8ohm position unless the receiver goes into some kind of protect mode where it cuts out. Only then will I put the switch to the 4ohm setting. That way if I burn up the receiver I will "have" to upgrade to better equipment(oh darn!). Good luck, I am sure you will have plenty of headroom with that large amplifier.
      "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
      -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

They way you ask the questions makes me wonder if your speakers are 4 ohm. What speakers are you running?

Like Space said, the power output will change depending on the ohm load of the speaker. IE you can't output 500w @ 4 ohms to an 8 ohm speaker.

Kevin D.

Comment

• rashad01138
          • Jun 2010

I am running B&W 703's.

Thank you all for answering my question.

Comment

• Nuthed
            • Jan 2007

Deleted.
            Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
            RB980-BX driving mains
            Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
            Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
            Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
            SVS PB-12

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"