X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rum
    • Mar 2010

Impedance for Analog and Coxial input to RSP 1069

I plan to connect a CD player from Marantz CD 6003 to the RSP 1069 which is connected to a power amp RMB 1077.
    The Specs for the CD 6003 output is listed below.
    Would like to know if there is any issue of impedance mismatch with input expectations to the Analong input and the Coaxial inputs of the RSP 1069.

Marantz CD 6003 Specifications

AUDIO CHARACTERISTICS
    Channels ... 2 channels
    Frequency response ... 2 Hz to 20 kHz
    Dynamic range ... 100 dB
    Signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighted) ... 110 dB
    Channel separation (1 kHz) ... 110 dB
    Harmonic distortion (1 kHz) ...0.002%
    Wow & flutter ... Precision of quartz
    Audio output ... 2.35 V rms, stereo
    Headphone output (variable maximum) ... 18 mW/32 ohms
    Digital output Coaxial output (pin jack) ...0.5 Vp-p, 75 ohms
    Optical output (square optical connector) ...-19 dBm
    OPTICAL READOUT SYSTEM
    Laser ...AlGaAs semiconductor
    Wavelength ... 780 nm
    SIGNAL SYSTEM
    Sampling frequency ...44.1 kHz
    Quantization ...16-bit linear PCM
    POWER SUPPLY
    Power requirement ... AC 230 V 50/60 Hz
    Power consumption ... 19 W
    Standby power consumption ... 0.3 W
  • hurin
    • Sep 2009

Why would you connect a high end CD player using coaxial? If you are going to use digital output, you might as well get the cheapest CD player you can find.

Comment

• rum
      • Mar 2010

Just to try and hear the difference. The main intent is to run in Analog mode.
      The Rotel support came back to me indicating that it shoudl work fine.

I find that the modes supported by the RSP 1069 are 2 Ch Stereo and BYPASS with 2 Ch Stereo using the Sub (if its set to do so) and BYPASS using only the fronts. My Fronts are Polk RTi7 and set as large but I am guessing that it would sound better with the Sub included. That however per the RSP-1069 is a conversion of the Analog from the source to be converted to digital at the RSP-1069 to paroductde the 2 Ch Stereo to include the Sub.

Until I can upgrade the speakers to B&W or Focals. I would need to hear the two modes to decide which to use and how the overall bass works out.

Comment

• srb
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by rum
        Would like to know if there is any issue of impedance mismatch with input expectations to the Analong input and the Coaxial inputs of the RSP 1069.
        The S/PDIF digital audio specification for RCA and BNC terminated cables is 75 ohm, which is also standard for all coaxial digital outputs of disc players and coaxial digital inputs of receivers and DACs.

Although the BNC connector is a true 75 ohm connector, unfortunately the smaller diameter RCA connector is not. RCA connectors that are designed specifically for coaxial cable attachment (i.e., the shield is crimped or soldered to the circular shell much like a TV F connector) similar to Blue Jean Cable's Canare RCA crimp connectors, come the closest.

Any cable, coaxial or not, will transmit the digital signal. I have used 1 of the wire pairs on throw-away 99 cent analog cables, and sound does comes out the other end!

But you are looking to hear the subtleties of good sound. And along that line of thinking, one manufacturer, Analog Research Technology, discusses the theory of signal reflections in a digital cable, and builds their U-byte cable in a ~16 foot length only. Interesting reading. http://www.analogresearch-technology.net/ubyte.html

Steve

Comment

• rum
          • Mar 2010

Steve thanks for the link, will very much like to read and understand it, and appreciate the inputs.

I received my Marantz CD6003 last evening and hooked it up.
          I must say I was missing a dedicated CDP all along. It makes a big difference to the stereo audio compared to what the Denon 1920 used to produce.
          I switched to the Panasonic DB60 for BlueRay and that is when I decide to go for the dedicated CDP.

The Marantz CD6003 matches well (in audio output terms, to my tastes of a well balanced output of low , mids and highs) with my Rotel RSP 1069 and RMB 1077 combination. I use the Polk A series RTI7 and though may folks consider it not a high end pair of speakers its truly value for money when you are trying to have a single pair for Audio and Home Theater Video.

I have not yet spent time to validate the Coxial vs Analog, will do so to see if I can perceive the difference.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"