• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seteven100
    • May 2009

funny way of thinking.....

ok here is my idea

i will purchase four RB-1080s

with one i will bridge and send to the bass end of one speaker. then with another amp ill bridge and send to the high level...get the idea? lol.

so basically i have 1 bridged amp per speaker ...

wonder how it will sound? any ideas?
  • Nuthed
    • Jan 2007

Are you saying you want to bridge the amps and then use them in a bi-amp configuration with 2 bridged amps per speaker?

If so, I think bridging an amp is a bad idea under most circustances you are likely to encounter in the home environment. Bridging tends to bring out the worst in an amplifer. The amplifer will sound grainy and harsh. It will run warmer than an unbridged one, this may or may not be a problem for you.

Bridging is really about coaxing every last bit of power out of an amp. This is useful in PA and professional sound reinforcement environments where top notch SQ may not be the primary concern, not at home.

Why not just get 2 amps and use them in stereo mode with one amp per speaker? The left and right channel of an amp would each receive the same input from your pre/pro. The left channel would feed the low pass section and the right channel would feed the high pass section, or vice versa. Then do the same for the other speaker. You would be doing whats called vertical bi-amping.
    Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
    RB980-BX driving mains
    Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
    Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
    Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
    SVS PB-12

Comment

• gd
      • Jan 2003

Agreed.

Originally posted by Nuthed
      Bridging tends to bring out the worst in an amplifer. The amplifer will sound grainy and harsh. It will run warmer than an unbridged one, this may or may not be a problem for you... This is useful in PA and professional sound reinforcement environments
      This has been my direct experience; the difference was clearly audible... since then I've read more than once that bridging routinely raises the distortion level.

Even the suggested vertical bi-amping may not yield an appreciable improvement, though it shouldn't degrade anything... most users report that if bi-amping is desired, the best chance of hearing an improvement is to open the speaker up, bypass the internal crossover and install an outboard crossover – lotsa work for a 'maybe'.

But if you've got the time and money, might be fun to try bi-amping... it is a 'tinkering' hobby, after all.

The bigger issue is amp-speaker-room matching... I'm lazy; my solution would be to buy substantial, clean, high-current amplification to begin with, even if it means overkill... those 1080s are no slouches – depending on your speakers and room, they may be all you need.
      greg (gd to you)
      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Aside from the reasons mentioned not to do it, your biggest issue is that the 1080 can't be bridged.

Kevin D.

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

The RB-1070 can be bridged to 1 x 330 watts - but Harm. Dist. will increase also.

Comment

• jalyra
            • Jan 2009

I would recommend with the money of 4 RB-1080s to buy just one higher quality stereo amp. You will get a much better sound out of it. Brand new the RB-1080 should be around 800-1,000 us dlls. Just think what kind of amp you could buy with $4,000!!

Comment

• Tha Freak
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by jalyra
              I would recommend with the money of 4 RB-1080s to buy just one higher quality stereo amp. You will get a much better sound out of it. Brand new the RB-1080 should be around 800-1,000 us dlls. Just think what kind of amp you could buy with $4,000!!
              totally agreed !! :T

just one step up into the Classé class !! but a very nice step !!!
              - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by jalyra

I too totally agree. With a $3-4k budget, you can get into a very good used amp from Mcintosh, Classe or Krell. I have Mac's in my system, so I can definitely recommend those.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"