X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gary Press
    • Oct 2002

Andrew -

Sorry that I wasn't able to send this in earlier - have had trouble with my password.

I bought my Rotel RSP-1066 late August. I chose the Rotel because, in my estimation, it's the buy of century! That is balancing performance first - against price paid. I honestly believe that I would have to pay nearly $4,000 USD, for probably the Anthem, to get a truly better sounding processor.

I'm amazed how many people have forgotten that with the Rotel, they are paying less than 40% of the cost of the Anthem for a product that sonically holds its own.

I appreciate Club Rotel and the information and comments exchanged - your contributions have been extremely helpful to me.

All that being said, there are some things that I would like to see changed on the 1066 or a new "big brother" model. I hope some of the concerns can be rectified by way of updates.

First, a problem that Ive encountered -
    For my V1 input for audio, I use the Optical 1 input for my DirecTV satellite audio, and I use an analog (Video 1 L&R) audio input for the playback of my S-VHS tapes.

I somehow get the satellite's audio also when I select Optical 2, Coaxial 1, Coaxial 2, Coaxial 3 and Analog. I have not idea why.
    The satellite audio should only be available via Optical1!
    Additionally, when I select Analog to hear the S-VHS audio, this audio is also present at Optical 2, and Coaxials 1,2 and 3.
    This is wrong! This audio should only be available at Analog!

Next, the remote - which I basically enjoy, should have the V1 through V5 buttons located on the main panel - not hidden under the cover. I change inputs often and it's not very convenient to continually slide the cover open to access the needed buttons.

DELAYS - All settings should be via "Feet." Left and right front speakers should be included.

SPEAKER SET-UP - If "None" is chosen for Center Back, then "CB SPKR SEL: 1 SPEAKER" should no longer appear on the screen.

TEST TONE - There should be a way to set levels for each speaker with or without the test tones being activated. That would make life little easier for those of us who prefer to use a set-up DVD such as "Video Essentials." Also, all speaker settings should be adjustable in 1/2 db increments.

TONE CONTROLS - Currently in steps of 2 - I believe it to be 2 db increments - way, way too crude! They should be in 1/2 db steps.

I've had a problem when watching a Dolby 5.1 movie via satellite.
    My default audio setting for watching TV is Pro Logic II - Cinema -
    when I select a TV channel showing a 5.1 encoded movie, the processor currectly switches to Dolby Digital 5.1. The problem is when I change to a channel sending out 2 channel audio - the processor at times remains locked into Dolby Digital 5.1 - and therefore I get no audio, but most of the time, the Rotel will automatically choose 2 Ch audio, not the default Pro Logic II - Cinema. Something is wrong!

I would love to have had a wider video bandwidth to accomodate HD - when I bite the bullet.

I don't know what the above refinements/changes would cost. Again, I've gotten more than I paid for. I have no questions or problems concerning bass management since I using 5 NHT Super One Speakers (Small) and a Velodyne HGS-12 subwoofer. (I can understand the frustration of those owners who have a bass management problem and now learn that the Mute button issue is on Rotel's mind). My Rotel and the speakers are connected to a Marantz MM-9000 5 channel X 150 watts amplifier. I'm not only please, but sometimes stunned by the quality of the sound.

Andrew, thank you again. Both you and Mike at Rotel have been very helpful. In fact, I e-mailed Mike before I made the purchase with some questions - his interest and quick responses helped me in making my decision to buy the Rotel.

Gary Press

Comment

• Jay Sylvester
      • Sep 2002

I bought my Rotel RSP-1066 late August. I chose the Rotel because, in my estimation, it's the buy of century! That is balancing performance first - against price paid. I honestly believe that I would have to pay nearly $4,000 USD, for probably the Anthem, to get a truly better sounding processor.

I'm amazed how many people have forgotten that with the Rotel, they are paying less than 40% of the cost of the Anthem for a product that sonically holds its own.
      First, let me say that none of the things I'm about to say are meant to crap on the 1066. I enjoyed mine while I was using it and think it's a great processor for the money.

That said, there are many reasons aside from sound quality that would compel someone to move up to the AVM 20, though I can say definitively that the AVM 20 is superior to the 1066 in that regard.

My main gripe with the 1066, as you may have read above, was the inadequate delay management. That's what prompted me to upgrade. However, upon firing up the Anthem and reading through the manual, you really begin to understand how limited the user menus are on the 1066. I couldn't believe how many options are provided for configuring my setup with the Anthem. Basically every shortcoming you list for the 1066 isn't an issue with the AVM 20. Unfortunately, most of the issues you bring up won't be covered by a firmware upgrade.

As for the price difference, I paid full retail for my silver 1066 ($1499) months after it was available because demand was so high, yet I was able to go to my dealer just last week and get an AVM 20 for $2675--and that's version 2.0 with all the latest and greatest goodies. Quite a discount from the $3499 list price.

Yes, it's still considerably more money for an AVM 20, but I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you get what you pay for. Assume all of the issues with the 1066 are addressed in its big brother; how much do you think that unit will cost? Probably the same price as the Anthem, maybe even more.

As I said at the beginning, I'm not here to crap on the 1066. I still think it's a great processor at its price point and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone with a $1500 processor budget. But there are plenty of valid reasons for the extra cost of the AVM 20.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Next, the remote - which I basically enjoy, should have the V1 through V5 buttons located on the main panel - not hidden under the cover.
        I know that for sure is been addressed in the new remote.

I'e noticed the bleed though on the various inputs as well but for me it hasn't really been an issue.

Comment

• Energeezer
          • Sep 2002

Bleed thru is very common especially on analoge I/Ps.
          Had it on my Yammie Onkyo, Marantz, Nad and now Rotel.

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Gary Press
            • Oct 2002

When you say "Bleed Through" do you mean the ability to hear some sound at low volume? That's the way I understand "Bleed Through." My problem is that I'm hearing the sound at full volume, not faintly in the background. That can't and shouldn't be excused.
            In the many years that I have constructed stereo and surround systems for myself and friends, I have never had this happen previously. My philosophy is that this unit is well worth the price for its quality of sound, and yes, you get what you pay for, but some of Rotel's "mistakes" although not earth-shattering, are very annoying and shouldn't have been allowed to be released upon the listening, viewing and paying public.

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Gary,

Wow. I wonder if others are experiencing the same problem or if your unit is defective. You're absolutely right that it is inexcusable. I've never had a satellite feed, so I really don't know what to advise here, but wonder if maybe trying something else besides Video 1 might help. Or, perhaps, see what happens with using one of the coaxial connections. I'm not a technical expert, so these suggestions might not make any sense whatsoever. Anyway, I'm very sorry that this problem exists with your unit.

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• wanderso
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                they aren't pissing around with the mute button a request came in to change it and they kindly asked for our opinon before doing anything about it...personally I'm happy they asked.
                Andrew,

Yes, BUT they have BUGS like the double bass issue that NEED fixing which should be a priority. Allocating resources to work on the MUTE button is not customer service smart.

I have been a Rotel person for five years, so no question of what I think of them, the main problem with Rotel, is they frequently drop a product with outstanding BUGs and never compensate those customers who have stuck with them. Now with a replacement model on the boards and a big brother on the boards, I am afraid that Rotel will not correct the outstanding BUGs on the 1066.

I would love to be wrong on this issue, but history has shown Rotel's path to date.

Wilson

Comment

• dali
                  • Jul 2002

Well, if Rotel has the bad habit of dropping previous products without fixing bugs (sounds a lot like Microsoft), there is a solution: release the firmware code to the public, so we can fix the bugs ourselves. And maybe add some tweaks of our own ...

Unsupported by Rotel of course, but that shouldn't be a problem. Just look at Linux and other community driven products.

Comment

• MarkH
                    • Oct 2002

Gary,

I have the same 'bleed through' problem with the 1066 on the CD input. I connected both Analog & Coaxial 1 inputs to the CD (for comparision purposes), but I get full volume signal if I select Optical 1, 2, Coaxial 2, etc. for the CD input.

Mark

Comment

• hanser
                      • May 2002

Yes that is true. However, on the display, no digital in shown. I think, that if you chose in the OSD a digital input that does not carry the signal, the Rotel takes the analogue signal that is present anyhow. So, the chosen gear (e.g. CD) is first priority for the Rotel, the choice of digital input second priority. If you select "CD", the Rotel will do everything that you can listen to CD. If you chose a digital input that does not carry the signal, the Rotel will take the analogue as a default. This is at least my opinion, how it may work. I do not think, that is a defect, on the contrary.

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                        • Sep 2002

Regarding the 'bleed through' problem. Form the manual from Rotel I learn that the input is autosensing. Which means, it selects the digital input if present else it selects analog. Only for digital sources. For analog sources it always select the analog signal, even though a digital may be available.

By default the CD is configured as a analog input.

Comment

• Gary Press
                          • Oct 2002

MarkH -
                          Thanks for letting me know that you share the problem. I guess I feel better than that it's just not my unit that's doing crazy things.
                          I continue to strongly believe that if you have connected your CD's output to Coaxial 1 and Analog - then those, and only those inputs should deliver the CD's audio. Is is unacceptable for others to pass the signal on. I can live with the problem, but as I mentioned previously, it's annoying and Rotel should have done their homework better. The only thing that mitigates the problem is the quality of sound - and especially at the price.

Gary

Comment

• hanser
                            • May 2002

Gary,

the other digital inputs do NOT pass the signal on. Instead, the Rotel switches to analogue input when there is no signal on those other inputs. Look at your display (on the Rotel, not the OSD), on the left it indicates if a digital input is activated.

Comment

• Gary Press
                              • Oct 2002

Andrew -

I hope it's not too late to add an item to the "wish list."

As in the past, I have no idea if a change such as this would increase the end price of a processor. I hope not!

Previously, I had mentioned that the tone controls, currently using 2-step increments (possibly 2 dbs), is much too crude and should be refined to 1/2 db steps. I forgot to add that the tone controls should not be "global." They should be set up where each individual speaker can be altered. This would be of great help in balancing for speaker placement and room anomalies.

Best,

Gary

Comment

• Lee
                                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                When talking with Rotel they didn't know how Outlaw got around the legalities of DTS-ES...
                                question on the DTS-EX Matrix.

So basically you cannot turn on ES-Matrix because there's a legal issue?

If that's the case, how come in the September/October Perfect Vision Magazine, there's a little blurb on DTS recommends leaving the DTS-ES enabled even on Non DTS-ES sources?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Lee I'll asked Rotel again and see what they have to say about this latest blurb from DTS.

Comment

• Stuart_Bonell
                                    • Nov 2002

Andrew,

I've been following the threads since before buying my 1066 (as soon as I could get my hands on one in the UK). Unfortunately, I don't think the double-bass issue was known then, or I missed it or didn't understand. Shame since I bought the Rotel over competitor products because of the edge on music sound quality (which it generally has).

Have Rotel given you any info. about dates for fixes for this problem or even dates when they'll give dates?

I guess we're a month down the line from when this thread started, and I'm not hearing anything to persuade me that I shouldn't just take the unit back to the shop as faulty and demand a refund.

I really, really don't want to do that becasue I think apart from the bug, this unit is perfect for me, I love the sound otherwise and I want to support Rotel's efforts to deliver a great value product (this is probably even more true in the UK than the US/Canada).

Given that I'm in the UK, this won't matter much to the US support guys, but I guess it makes sense to coordinate all feedback here since there's critical mass. I also know they have pretty efficient comms to the UK as when I mistakenly e-mailed US tech support, I was contacted by the UK within a day (despite not telling them I was in the UK - now that's smart!).

Thanks

Stuart

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

All that I know is they are presently working on it with their engineers so I would guess it shouldn't be that long but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Lee I sent you an email to your hotmail account

Comment

• Lee
                                          • Oct 2002

Sent you one back Andrew, hope this resolves that issue and we can use DTS-ES matrix.

Tom.

Comment

• JKohn
                                            • Jun 2002

I really hope this was just a misunderstanding on Rotel's part. I really can't imagine any reason at all why DTS wouldn't want you to be able to manually engage the ES matrix decoding, especially when we know for a fact there are ES matrix DVD's on the market without the flag.

Jeff Kohn
                                            Jeff Kohn
                                            http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

• Dalton
                                              • Nov 2002

I would definetly like to see DTS-ES matrix as an available option. I hope Rotel comes through on this!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2000

I'm not so sure it was a misunderstanding but DTS changing thier rules. I've heard from a few sources that DTS isn't as solid a company as it once was.

Comment

• Energeezer
                                                  • Sep 2002

Any update yet?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

no not yet

Comment

• fyonn
                                                      • Nov 2002

hello all,

I'm a fairly new rotel 1066 owner, just picked mine up last week so I've been playing with it ever since. alas the day it arrived, my dvd player went in for repair so I've not had much chance to test it's decoding abilities properly. however, on the wish list tpoic, one thing does occur to me which I would think is probably a fairly easy change, is to make the volume control work faster.

it's actually faster to keep pressing the volume button repeatedly, then it is to hold the button down, wihch just seems wrong to me. as I have several inputs with widely differing gain I sometimes want to be able to change the volume fast so as not to annoy the neighbours much.

can someone ask rotel if thisis do-able

dave

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

i'll pass that along.

Nice to see a UK member. I was born in bellerby north yorkshire.

Comment

• fyonn
                                                          • Nov 2002

yeah, I think others would agree with me about the volume. I'd expect it to change at the same speed, or maybe slightly faster than it would if you pressed the button 2 or 3 times a second. it still seems an excellent pre/pro though. now what would be cool was if rotel treated it like a baby tag av32r and allowed us to upgrade it overtime, or even upgrade it to the proposed bigger brother maybe.

yeah, I'm a northern lad, from the other side of the fence though, I'm a lancashire lad, born in blackburn and eventually ending up in manchester.

dave

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
                                                            • Jun 2002

We're about at the 2-month mark since this thread was started, so I thought I'd give it a bump.

Any word on the update?

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                                                              • Oct 2002

Yeah, this could be really cool if Rotel would give a rebate to RSP-1066 owner to upgrade to the 1098, or a credit.

Best example. 1 week ago, my Paradigm dealer gave me FULL credit on a pair of Studio-40 AND for the Premier stands, After 1 year of total abuse! That's incredible customer satisfaction. this because I was upgrading to Studio-100. Imagine. 100% credit for speakers and the stand. Wow.

If someone from Rotel is reading this, if you would do this, I would become a "full life customer"...
                                                              To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Brent
                                                                • Jan 2002

Levesque: Here! Here! I would love to upgrade but without some major tradein incentive I won't be able to swing it.

Comment

• craigdcan
                                                                  • Dec 2002

Speaking of upgrades, my dealer allows trade-ins within a year, at 100% of what you paid going towards your new piece. They carry Rotel, B&W, and HK. Not only is it an incredible way to keep getting better and better, but I've always got something new, and under warranty(which they also extend to 5 years on everything). Unfortunately they no longer carry Krell, but I'm still working my way towards the 1095, so there's still time.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Aug 2000

I'd guess this would be up to the dealer more then Rotel but it would be nice wouldn't it

Comment

• Energeezer
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2002

This thread was started by our mod about 3 months ago. At that time there was hope that we may have bass management fixes etc.
                                                                      Andrew. What gives?

Comment

• Energeezer
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2002

A.P.?

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"