X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • omarj
    • Feb 2009

2 Channel Audio with Subwoofer

Hi All,

I have a Rotel RSP 1098 Processor and the RMB1095 Power Amp, hooked up with a Defiintive Technology Speaker System. The problem I am having is when I try and play 2 Channel Stereo (btw am using the Denon 3930), I can not get my sub to work. It just sounds flat, with no punch whatsoever. While my DVD is connected through a coaxial cable, I have also connected through composite wires, and am playing through them. Does anone have an experience with this processor and can guide me through the set-up process if there is one to activate the subwoofer.
    Many Thanks
  • renpar61
    • Jul 2007

I'm not sure if it's the same as my RSX-1057, but the Stereo feature on the Rotel has 2 modes: "direct" (w/out sub), and "2ch" with sub. By hitting the button on the processor you should cycle through the 2 modes.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Also if your front speakers are set to large, you will only get subwoofer output from digital .1 tracks.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Gianluca
        • Oct 2008

What about setting subwoofer to max. I have a RSX-1056 and I set it to max, my fronts are set to large and play full range and have the subwoofer play everyting under the crossover point. Thats only for 2ch, when I am in HT mode then I override the settings to have my fronts to small.

Luca
        Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |

Comment

• Blindamood
          • Sep 2003

If your front speakers are set to Large, then the crossover is not being used (as Kevin has indicated above). Set them to Small, and adjust the crossover as needed to send the appropriate bass to the sub.
          Brad

Comment

• Gianluca
            • Oct 2008

Just a thought now that it has been brought up.

This is what it says in the 1056 manual...

SUBWOOFER (yes/no/max): The YES setting
            is the standard setting if your system has
            a subwoofer. If your system does not have a
            subwoofer, select NO. Select the MAX setting
            for maximum bass output with normal bass
            being duplicated by both the subwoofer and
            any LARGE speakers in the system.

I set mine to max cause i like it that way. But the above post says the crossover is not used this way. Does the master crossover setting in the sub menu get defeated this way??? I thought all frequencies under the master crossover point would be sent to the sub and any large speaker would play full range.

Luca
            Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |

Comment

• Kreyfish
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Kevin D
              Also if your front speakers are set to large, you will only get subwoofer output from digital .1 tracks.

Kevin D.
              Guys, there seems to be some confusion here.
              I also have a 1098 with two subs and large towers. When listening to 2 channel, I have the subs set to "max" and the fronts set to large and the subs are clearly working.
              I can change the cross-over for the subs in the RSP's menu and clearly hear the difference. Anything above 100Hz and I can audibly locate the subs, anything below that and they blend into the mix nicely.

This stands for any 2 channel source, ie turntable fed into tape input, CD fed to either analogue or digital inputs or even when my Wife docks the ipod (eeekk! 8O )
              It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Yes, setting the subwoofer to MAX will give you a sub output with speakers set to large. And yes the subwoofer crossover still works in that setup.

If you prefer the setup this way, no problems by me..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Gianluca
                  • Oct 2008

Might also be a phase issue if the towers and sub are in phase with each other.
                  Last edited by Gianluca; 21 February 2009, 14:59 Saturday.

Comment

• Kreyfish
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Kevin D
                    Yes, setting the subwoofer to MAX will give you a sub output with speakers set to large. And yes the subwoofer crossover still works in that setup.

If you prefer the setup this way, no problems by me..

Kevin D.
                    OK, you must have been referring to the bypass mode?

Comment

• Kreyfish
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Gianluca
                      Might also be a phase if the towers and sub are in phase with each other.
                      Yes, having my particular setup this way took much playing around with the placement of the subs. At various room positions, I could detect nulls or standing waves where the sub output would attenuate noticabely, and others where the dreaded "boom" would overpower everything.
                      The phasing also changed when any eq was applied to compensate for room conditions, so it was a long-winded, methodical process.

I have tried bypass and because of the passion some of you guys have for it, I really persevered, BUT, in my environment, it just sounded flat and lacked punch.

Over the years, I have been through the "purist" faze, but have now come to the conclusion that my system should be set up to sound the way I want it to.
                      Judging by the comments of visitors, it sounds good to them too! :T

Comment

• renpar61
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Gianluca
                        Might also be a phase if the towers and sub are in phase with each other.
                        How do you do that? I have a Velodyne sub with phase correction via remote. There are 4 settings: 0 - 90 - 180 - 360
                        I have been always confused by that adjustment.
                        If I recall correctly, Velodyne says to try the different options and set to the one that offers more audible bass, but it never made sense to me.

Comment

• Bostonears
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by renpar61
                          How do you do that? I have a Velodyne sub with phase correction via remote. There are 4 settings: 0 - 90 - 180 - 360
                          I have been always confused by that adjustment.
                          If I recall correctly, Velodyne says to try the different options and set to the one that offers more audible bass, but it never made sense to me.
                          In many rooms, the location of the main speakers and the subwoofer are such that the bass output from the subwoofer can cancel out rather than enhance the bass output from the main speakers. The phase control allows you to slightly shift the timing of the output wave of the subwoofer to minimize such cancellation. Like Velodyne instructs, try each of the settings, and use the one which produces the most audible bass. Then adjust the subwoofer volume to the appropriate level.

Comment

• Gianluca
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Bostonears
                            In many rooms, the location of the main speakers and the subwoofer are such that the bass output from the subwoofer can cancel out rather than enhance the bass output from the main speakers. The phase control allows you to slightly shift the timing of the output wave of the subwoofer to minimize such cancellation. Like Velodyne instructs, try each of the settings, and use the one which produces the most audible bass. Then adjust the subwoofer volume to the appropriate level.
                            That about sums it up quite nicely. I have mine set at 180.

I agree about the fact that your system should be set up to please your ears and not so much the purist method.

Luca

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"