X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • schipph
    • Jun 2008

Speaker Impedance

Hello,

i am new here and be very happy that i found a Rotel forum, and like to start with a question about the impedance of my Rotel 1057.

I use 5 speaker wich are 4ohm, i see that Rotel recomments 8ohm and higher

Is this a problem for the reciever ?

thanks and regards

Hans
  • WI Rotel
    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by schipph
    Hello,

i am new here and be very happy that i found a Rotel forum, and like to start with a question about the impedance of my Rotel 1057.

I use 5 speaker wich are 4ohm, i see that Rotel recomments 8ohm and higher

Is this a problem for the reciever ?

thanks and regards

Hans
    Not at "regular" listening volumes. However, if you crank the output your receiver will overheat and activate its protection circuits and turn the speakers off. Once it cools it turns them back on again. When I first bought my XT system 5.1, I paired them with a RSX 1067. It did not get the job done, after a few minutes at high volume levels the internal fan would activate (which was like a hurricaine inside the receiver) and then it would simply shut off. It simply didn't have the current reserves necessary for the job. Rotel is conservative with amp ratings, for example, a 1057 will run a pair of 4 ohm speakers superbly, however they realize that most Rotel buyers will be doing HT, in a 5 channel situation a set of 4 ohm speakers is a much trickier situation than just 2 thus the 8 ohm rating. I would strongly recommend that you buy an RMB 1095 (did the trick for me superbly) or one of the new class D amps. The 1095 is rated at 4 ohms all channels driven 20-20K 200W RMS. If you want to save some bucks on a pre simply use the 1057 as your processor. When and if you go 7.1 you can hook up that pair to the 1057! :T

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

If you're not having problems at your normal listening levels, then don't worry. Ratings seem a bit give and take anyway. When you start thinking about upgrading, try adding a meatier amp assuming you want to keep the speakers.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• schipph
        • Jun 2008

thank you guys for your answers, i will keep the setup for now.......

I use the 1057 with 5 chario speakers....fronts are URSA MAJOR and rears are the LYNX.....amazing sound !

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"