X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeterK
    • Aug 2007

New to Rotel family

Just bought, B&W 804s RCD 1072, RB 1070 amp and RC 1082 Pre,
    Just wondering if anybody is BI amping the 804 and does it make a differance?
  • Ted
    • May 2006

Originally posted by PeterK
    Just bought, B&W 804s RCD 1072, RB 1070 amp and RC 1082 Pre,
    Just wondering if anybody is BI amping the 804 and does it make a differance?
    Welcome!!
    I've got a similar set-up (703, RCD 1072, RC 1070, RB-1080). I don't have any experience with bi-amping, but I'm sure others will pass on their opinions. Just curious, instead of spending more money on another amp, did you consider just getting a 1080 instead of the 1070? Also, there are a lot of fans on the 1092 and I would imagine the 1072 soon too (even though it is only 100 W, a lot of users swear by their 1077 over their previous 1095, so I'd expect the 1072 to be similar).

Again, welcome and have fun with the system!! :T
    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• PeterK
      • Aug 2007

I've been dealing with the same store and the same staff for more than 20 years and they believe that Bi-amping will be the way to go with 2 1070s. I bought just the one for now, you know the, WAF(wife acceptance factor).I'm just trying to see if anybody has gone the bi-amp route.
      Thanks for the reply..

Comment

• calmac
        • May 2005

Using one 1080 will probably give better results than 2 1070's.
        Gordon

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Welcome to the club!

You'll find a few people who find passive bi-amping worth the money, but the general consensus is it barely makes a difference.

Truth of the matter is the woofers in the 804 are going to require more power then the 1070 is capable of producing, never-mind the mid and tweeter. Even when you run a single 1070 on just the woofers (bi-amped), you're still going to need more power. Going with a single RB-1080 will allow more power to go to the woofers when needed. Most people find the 1080 sounds a lot better then the 1070, so that's another benefit.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nuthed
            • Jan 2007

Heres a link to a website that explains how and why passive bi-amping is the correct way to bi-amp.

However since the woofers are taking the lions share of the power, going with a bigger amp would be the best choice. One major benefit of bi-amping though is that the woofer amp can be driven into clipping, which most likely will not be audible or necessarily harmful, its not a good idea though. Since you're using a separate but identical amp for the high frequency section of the speaker it most likely will never clip and therefore there is no chance of damaging a tweeter.
            Last edited by Nuthed; 30 August 2007, 13:04 Thursday.
            Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
            RB980-BX driving mains
            Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
            Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
            Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
            SVS PB-12

Comment

• PeterK
              • Aug 2007

Thanks So much, I will take a second amp home for the weekend, and give it a try.
              Peter

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"