X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NeilGabriel
    • Apr 2007

Multi channel Rotel

I have been running an RX-975 and an older RCC-940AX cd player for two channel and have a mass market Yamaha HTR. I would like to step up to more power and am looking at the Rotel multi-channel amps (5 channel is all I need). Do I also then need a preamp/processor to run my DVD audio through before it goes to the amp? I only need something to run audio (all video goes straight to HDTV). If so, any recommendations on something simple. I have spent a few hours roaming the net and have found little discussion on this since everything seems geared to HTR. Thanks. Neil
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Unless your DVD player has a volume control built-in (very rare), then yes you will need some type of pre-amp between the player and the amp.

I haven't seen any 5.1 volume control only pre-amps, but I'm sure they exist. Since they would be geared toward purists, chances are an older pre/pro with 5.1 in's and out's might be cheaper.

Kevin D.

Comment

• NeilGabriel
      • Apr 2007

Right equipment

So, something like Rotel RSP-976 Home Theater Preamp/Processor can be run between DVD player and 5 channel amp, then? I gather I can run either the 5 channel outputs from the dvd player or the optical audio out to the processor? Thanks. I would also likely run HD cable audio through the system, but that is it (well until it change). Neil

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Right, the 976 will work fine. Optical will be fine for Dolby Digital and DTS, but for DVDA or SACD you will need to run 6 RCA cables from the DVD player.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"