X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff
    • Dec 2004

RVE-1070 video scaler is dead in the water

I had been looking forward to reviewing the new RVE-1070 video scaler. My dealer had told me that window, for the moment, has closed. National Semi Conductor was bought out and all of their employees were let go. NSC was the supplier for some of the more critical parts and was the main partner in the development of the 1070, in particular, the 1080p output.

Jeff
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Which means the replacements for the 1098, 1067, and 1068 might be delayed as a budget version of the 1070's scaler was too be included.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

Hmmm... Was reading just yesterday about a new Adcom processor that already uses the National Semiconductor video conversion technology.

Adcom GTP-870HD

Wonder how existing products will be affected (assuming they were already shipping)?
      Brad

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Jeff
        I had been looking forward to reviewing the new RVE-1070 video scaler. My dealer had told me that window, for the moment, has closed. National Semi Conductor was bought out and all of their employees were let go. NSC was the supplier for some of the more critical parts and was the main partner in the development of the 1070, in particular, the 1080p output.

Jeff
        I talked to Rotel a month and a half ago on this topic, since I am interested in a scaler. At the time they told me about NSC being bought out, and that this had had some impact on the scaler development. They didn't mention the employees were let go. The main issue they had was that the 1070 was supposed to support 4 HDMI feeds. It just wasn't working out. So Rotel told me they were taking a 2 part approach. Part one would be a smaller scaler, the RVE-1060. It would have 2 HDMI inputs and scale to 1080i (not 1080p). The target price was $999. Needing to re-design the chassis and solution was the primary reason for the delay. As I recall, Rotel took one to CEDIA. Hopefully someone was at CEDIA and can confirm this. Phase II will be down the road with a full 1080p solution, although they may wait until HDMI 1.3 is resolved before moving with this.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• slowrey
          • Aug 2006

It's a bit irritating that a Video Scaler isn't being completed as that was one of the items that brought me to Rotel via the dealer communication. Upgradability was a feature-set that made me want Rotel vs. Receivers however that isn't looking like it's as delivered.

Hmph.
          ____

Sean

Comment

• Clepto
            • Feb 2006

It was a poorly conceived 'upgrade' imo anyway. It's actually part of the reason I stayed away from a Rotel processor/receiver (;

I'm still waiting for a solution that will be ideal for me, but I'm leaning more towards Anthem than Rotel atm... We'll see what happens with the 1068/98 replacements though.

And also if the HD Radio tuner will be out from Rotel in conjuntion with the new processors.

Comment

• Jeff
              • Dec 2004

HTSteve, I to heard they were coming out with a 1080i version at about $1,000. I would still be interested in see what it can do. I don't have any plans on upgrading my TV to something which can produce 1080P. Frankly, the 1080i which I currently receive looks damn good. But like any audio junkie, I compelled to look for that next level.

Clepto, I don't feel so adverse to say it was poorly conceived. For those of us who have tv's which produce a conventional 1080i image, no more is needed. I very much enjoy high def tv. Having every station as high def is somthing which has a large "cool" factor.

On the other side, for those knuckle draggers who don't appreaciate high end audio, well, it's nice to have something they can enjoy as well. :lol:

Jeff

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"