X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Fiorino Jr.
    • Sep 2006

Putting Together A System

Well, I Was Interested In Purchasing Rotel Rc 1070 Pre Amp,rb 1070 Power Amp, Rcd 1072 Cd Player And B&w Cm1 Speakers. Any Advice On Or Comments On These Components Or Suggestions On Other Equipment That You Think Will Out Perform These Would Be Appreciated.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

maybe if you could find a rb-1090... that would be awesome!

I'd shoot for the RB-1080 over the 1070 if you can afford it. Otherwise it all looks good.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• 4greenjeep
      • Sep 2006

The rcd 1072 is an awesome cd player for the money, I also have the A5 cd player from MF that costs almost 4 times as much, and the 1072 sounds almost the same. Im doing A/b testing of the two players back to back and thier is very little difference between the two. The Rotel is just little bit brighter.

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Tom, I think that the RB-1070 is a good match for CM1 speakers given that their recommended power handling is 30W - 100W into 8 ohms.

The combination of components that you are considering will give you a very pleasant, genteel sound. Just don't expect to lift the roof off if/when you hold a party! If you do want more volume occasionally then a speaker such as the DM603 S3 might be a better bet with its extra bass/midrange drive unit.

You might like to audition both speakers side by side when you next visit your B&W dealer.

Nigel.

Comment

• Nick M
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Cool! I just bought a RC-1070, and plan on picking up a RCD-1072 as well. I'm looking at the big RB-1090 for my plans.

Sounds like you're on the right track so long as you've listened to those B&Ws and like their sound. Ditto on the lifting the roof comment too though. :T
          ~Nick

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
            • Sep 2006

First Let Me Say Thanks To All Of You For Your Advice And Comments. I Haven't Been In The Market For Stereo Equipment For A Long While. When I Went To The Dealer To Check Out A Marantz Integrated Amp And Cd Player, He Introduced Me To The Rotel Set Up I Mentioned Earlier. It Blew Me Away. But What Do I Know!! I Read Various Reviews, On Various Manufacturers Equipment And It All Reads Well, But Hearing It Is The Problem. I Don't Have The Variety Of Dealers In My Area, So I'm Limited As To What I Can Go And Hear. Someone Told Me Cambridge Soundworks Is A Better Choice, And Another Said There Are Better Setup's Out There For The Money. Great To Hear That, But What Are They And Where Are They? I Am Planning To Add A Subwoofer To The Set Up. The Cm1's Sound Great, But A Little Light On The Low End. The Woofer Provided A Fuller Sound Without Blowing Me Out Of The Room. I'm Not Looking To Party, Just Me, My Apartment, And Some Light Jazz.

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
              • Sep 2006

Is The Pricing Fixed On This Equipment Or Can I Get It For Less? If So Where? I Still Haven't Decided On The Rb 1070 Or Rb 1080. My Room Is 13x17 Carpeted. Walls Are Bare, CURTAINS ON WINDOWS, FURNITURE ETC. So I May Have To Put Up Accoustical Tile ON THE WALLS.

Rotel Rb 1070- $700.00
              Rb 1080 - $1000.00
              Rc 1070 - $500.00
              Rcd 1072 - $700.00
              B&w Cm-1 - $900.00 Pr
              M&k Kx 12 - $700

Used Equip At Barrett's Home Theater
              Rotel Rb 700 - $500
              Rb 1090 -$1200

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
                • Sep 2006

TODAY I PURCHASED A SYSTEM:
                ROTEL PRE AMP RC 1070
                AMP RB 1080
                CD RCD 1072
                MONSTER POWER CENTER 2600 MK II
                SPEAKERS B&W 705's

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE ADVICE ON WHAT TO GET.

Comment

• Bluespower
                  • Sep 2005

You forgot to buy a safety line. You just stepped onto the slippery slope:=) Congrats....
                  Bluespower

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by Tom Fiorino Jr.
                    TODAY I PURCHASED A SYSTEM:
                    ROTEL PRE AMP RC 1070
                    AMP RB 1080
                    CD RCD 1072
                    MONSTER POWER CENTER 2600 MK II
                    SPEAKERS B&W 705's

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE ADVICE ON WHAT TO GET.
                    Good work Tom. Start saving for an ASW750. That will round off the bottom end nicely.

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
                      • Sep 2006

It's Too Late For The Safety Line. When I Walked Into The Store, And Was Introduced To Rotel I Was In Trouble Immediately. Yesterday, I Was Able To Put The Skids On, And Get Out With My Hair Still Attached.
                      Before I Left, I Looked At The Mk Kx12 Subwoofer And Rotel Rt 1080 Tuner. I'll Go Back In A Couple Of Months To Pick Them Up.
                      After The First Of The Year '07, I'll Think About Better Speakers. For Now I Want To Get Familiar With The Equipment I've Purchased And The Sound Of The 705's.
                      Thanks For Your Support.

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
                        • Sep 2006

I have been watching your threads and I think you and I may have had the similar experiences. I had not bought any real electronics stuff or been listening critically to it since back in the early 80's. When we built the house the "media" person put in NHT and Harmon, I was disinterested. They sound great at the time, but 10 years later I went into hi-fi stores to "listen" to my options. I was amazed, I started with budget X and three weeks later it was 3X after several weeks of listening. Wow it was fun :rofl: , too bad the budget ran out :M

What a wonderful hobby, I haven't spent this much this fast since I discovered wine. :B .

I was very impressed with the bang for the buck that I got out of the Rotel equipment. It let me maximize my speaker budget, which was good. Sounds like you have had as much fun as I have getting back into the experience. Let us all know what you think as you get things set up....I am always looking for more advice (er...ways to spend money).

P.S. I noticed you picked the same CD player as I did. I can't believe how much difference the RCD-1072 makes to the CD experience. I know there are many quality players would probalbly sound the same (Arcam/Cambridge), but I could not believe how much detail the Rotel picked up. I actually thought there was something wrong with the amps until I realized one of my CD's just had a loud hiss in the background......amazing ;x(.

P.S. for subs, I did the Velodynes DD series (listend to B&W/Outlaw/Martin Logan). I have not heard the MK's so I would be interested in your thoughts if you can A/B them with some of the above.

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
                          • Sep 2006

Back in the day, I was into stereo's, speakers, dual cassette etc. and I've had pretty good stuff. Marantz 2270 receiver, Cerwin Vega speakers D9's. I was looking for Marantz, Onkyo, when I was introduced to Rotel. What a world of difference. The sounds are so clear. It's like taking cotton out of your ears then listening to music.
                          Sounds like you and I both have been away from stereo's for quite awhile. It's difficult at first to figure out who the players are with the quality stuff. Once you find out, it's easy to spend $$$$$$. I figure this should last me the next 10 yrs. with a few upgrades along the way.
                          Once I get the equipment in and listen to it for awhile I'll give an update.

Comment

• SteveT
                            • Sep 2006

Rotel sound

Hi Tom,

I know exactly what you mean. The first time I heard Rotel amps, the sound was so crystal clear, and made my prior stereo system sound "muddy". I could not believe the difference!! I went through about 50% of my CD collection the first week I bought my new system. I've had my Rotel system for almost 3 years, and I love it! Sometimes the thought of upgrading to the RB 1090 comes to mind, but I'd have to find good speakers to handle the extra power. Now I have Paradigm Monitor 9 speakers which are great, but would have to upgrade the speakers if I upgrade the amp.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"