X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom Fiorino Jr.
    • Sep 2006

New To Rotel

I Have Been Searching For Quality Stereo Equipment And Was Thinking Of Purchasing A Marantz Integrated Amp, Tuner, And Cd Player. I Called A Local Dealer And He Had One Of The Components But Would Have To Order The Others. No Big Deal. I Went In To See What We Could Work Out. While I Was There I Was Introduced To Rotel!!! Wow!!! I Listened To My Cd's, Light Jazz, On Rb 1070 Power Amp, Rc 1070 Pre Amp, Rcd 1072 Cd Player Through B&w Cm1 Speakers.
    Now I Know What Music Is Suppose To Sound Like. I Would Like Your Advice, Comments On The Equipment/speakers Listed. I'm Ready To Purchase A System. I've Been Out Of The Market For Quite Awhile And Much Has Changed As Far As Quality. So I Need All The Advice I Can Get.
    Thanks
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Well I think you need to decide on what you can afford... then plan within (or more around, because as we all know we go a little bit over our plan) those constraints and get the best equipment you can afford.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Alex999
      • Jun 2006

Let us know what your budget is and we'll be more than happy to suggest Rotel gear.

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
        • Sep 2006

I Want To Stay Around $4000.00 This Is What The Salesperson Quoted Me For The Equipment Listed Along With Cables And A Power Conditioner.

Comment

• FROST
          • Jul 2006

Hi there Tom

Many people will not like what I’m going to tell you since this is The Rotel forum and I’m breaking the law by talking about some other equipment.

I had the pleasure the hear that combo, B&W Cm1 are insane speaker for the money and their size, Few weeks ago I decided to get me a dedicated CD player obvious choice was Rotel It sounded really good then my trusty salesperson said that I should listen to new Cambridge Audio 640 v.2 cd player, well Cambridge came home with me even do I wanted a matching cd player since I owned mostly Rotel. CA 640 v.2 so much better in everything, soundstage, dynamics, bass, clarity, to confuse you even more we switch the Rotel stuff with Cambridge Audio 840A integrated amp. That combination sounded even better, my next upgrade will be 840A integrated into my HT since it has HT bypass.
          I’m just trying to tell you that Rotel is good but there is better for the money.

Happy auditioning

Chris

Cambridge Audio 640C v.2 and the 840A are giant killers.
          PS Audio Quintet Power Center
          Rotel RSP-1068
          Rotel RMB-1075
          Cambridge Audio Azur 540D
          Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v.2
          CATCABLES Silvercats
          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
          Paradigm Studio CC570
          Paradigm Studio ADP470
          Panasonic CT34WX15
          HSU VTF-3 MKII RULES!!!

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
            • Sep 2006

While I Was Out Today Shopping For Stereo Equip. I Stopped At Another Dealer And They Had The Cambridge Equipment You Mentioned. Of Course The Salesperson Insisted This Was A Better System Then The Rotel. He Wouldn't Be Doing His Job If He Didn't. These So Called Sales Experts, Are Going To Guide Me To Their Brands. Unfortunately I Could Not Stop At Just One Store And Hear Both Set-up Head To Head For Comparison. I Would Expect A Pre-amp, Power Amp Set Up To Be A Cleaner Sound Then An Integrated Amp. I Want The Best My Money Can Buy. I Don't Want To Be Shopping Again In A Year Or Two.

Comment

• FROST
              • Jul 2006

I guess I’m kind of bias and I’m love with sound and look of 840A
              That’s true but 840A is remarkable not your ordinary integrated amp
              Pre and amp combo gives you more feasibility but I still think that 840A it’ll be better, I compared that to my 1068 and the difference was huge. My conclusion preamp stage of 1068 it’s dirty.
              Since last year I completed my home theatre I looked for stereo options and I found mine finally I can have stereo and HT in one with out huge compromises.

Good luck in your journey to perfect sound.
              Take your time audition different equipment; borrow for the weekend if u can.

Chris
              PS Audio Quintet Power Center
              Rotel RSP-1068
              Rotel RMB-1075
              Cambridge Audio Azur 540D
              Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v.2
              CATCABLES Silvercats
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3
              Paradigm Studio CC570
              Paradigm Studio ADP470
              Panasonic CT34WX15
              HSU VTF-3 MKII RULES!!!

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
                • Sep 2006

There's Nothing Wrong With Being Pleased With Your Decision To Purchase The Cambridge Equipment. If It Sounds Good To You That's All The Really Matters Regardless Of Manufacturer. I'll Continue To Seek Advice, Research And Read Reviews, Visit Distributors Of Quality Equipment And Try To Find The System That Sounds Right For Me. I Was Considering An Integrated Amp, And Even A High End 2 Channel Receiver, When I Started Looking For Equipment. I Was Shown Another Route That Is Pre Amp, Power Amp, And Cd Player. I'm Not Partial To Either, Just Interested In Getting A System That I Will Be Satisfied With For A Long Time.

Comment

• lvhung
                  • Jun 2005

Rotel RCD-1072 and Rb-1080 have some problems with reliability
                  other products work fine
                  stay alerted !

Comment

• Boombox
                    • Oct 2005

I'm one week away from getting my pair of Dynaudio Focus 140s. These I'll be driving with the RC1070/RB1070 combo for the interim. I have the al-cheapo RCD02, which I think is the RCD1072 in "euro" guise.

I am considering swopping my pre/power combo out for an integrated amp and my list includes the Densen B-110, Naim Nait 5i, Musical Fidelity A3.5 or A5. I guess when I'm going to buy, it will either be the Densen B-150, Musical Fidelity A5 or the Krell 400xi. A Shanling CDP is also on my list to complete my stereo.

Although many argue that the pre/power combo is the way to go for stereo, I think the integrated route is potentially superior simply because the path in the audio chain from source to speaker is shorter in the integrated opposed to the combo option. The interconnect between the pre and power amp does add quite a sum to the total cost and it does not guarentee that the signal is unaltered as it goes from pre to power amp. I have found that my sound improves by leaps and bounds with better interconnects, but to get an interconnect that almost costs the same as my power amp was rediculous, even if it improved my SQ (money I feel can be used to get a better interconnect between CDP and amp). With a good integrated, the path between the pre and power amp sections is a straight line, not curved. The sharing of the same power supply in an integrated amp is the one argument used to discourage potential customers from choosing an integrated amp over a pre/power combo.

Manufacturers are bringing out integrated amps these days that are stunning. To be honest, I think integrated amps are making a major comeback.

The best part of new generation integrated amps are that you can add a power amp to the integrated amp, switch off the power section of the integrated amp and use the full power supply for the pre-amp section.

I just have one problem with Rotel; it is costing my more than an arm and a leg to get "better" stereo. Great brand!
                    Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• chinets
                      • Jun 2005

Go for Rotel ,as you'll get the biggest bang for the bucks you want to spend ,and it will last you a decade at least! Great for Music and HT! It will cost you 3 times what you spent on Rotel to get a fraction of a percent better sounding on other more expensive equipment,so I guess that should give you a hint. Let your ears make your final decision on what you like in sound ,but Rotel is just perfect for the money. You will not get better sound, unless you cough up 3 times as much to get into the final Audiophilic Nirvana.

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
                        • Sep 2006

SATURDAY I PURCHASED A SYSTEM:
                        ROTEL PRE AMP RC 1070
                        AMP RB 1080
                        CD RCD 1072
                        MONSTER POWER CENTER 2600 MK II
                        SPEAKERS B&W 705's

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

Comment

• lvhung
                          • Jun 2005

Hi boombox
                          I used to get Rotel to drive Dynaudio
                          Dynaudio so picky with the cables
                          If you use Rotel seperate with other brands of speakers you find
                          Rotel which is not picky with the I/C
                          Although Dynaudio so difficult to sound right

Comment

• Blindamood
                            • Sep 2003

Congrats, Tom. I'm sure you're going to enjoy that sweet new setup for quite a while!
                            Brad

Comment

• chinets
                              • Jun 2005

Congrats Tom and welcome to Rotel World!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              You did a good choice.
                              Wish you all the best luck with them In Audio Nirvana!!
                              Enjoy and Cheers

Comment

• miner
                                • Mar 2005

Good entry level system Tom, you will be very satisfied utnil that diseased bug bites you - Upgraditis noendus. A very common, yet not treatable disease.

I am thinking maybe the Classe inocculation may help cure my sickness.
                                Last edited by miner; 20 September 2006, 13:57 Wednesday.

Comment

• joetama
                                  • May 2006

The RC 1070 & RB 1080 are a good combo for the 705's. I run the 1080 on my 703's and absolutly love it.
                                  -Joe

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
                                    • Sep 2006

Hey, thanks for the congrats! If it weren't for the info. I received from you guys/gals I wouldn't have know what to get. Your advice pointed me in the right direction. After listening to Rotel equipment I was pretty much sold on it. I can't wait for everything to arrive so I can set it up, and drop in some of my favorite CD's.
                                    I was going to buy B&W CM1, but after listening to the 705's I litterly was sold on the set up I went with.
                                    I'm anxious to get this up and running, so I can go get the subwoofer, and tuner.

Comment

• Boombox
                                      • Oct 2005

Congrats Tom!!!
                                      Great choice!!
                                      Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• Bluespower
                                        • Sep 2005

Ditto. I know you'll enjoy your system right out of the gate, but wait till you get a couple hundred hours on your speakers... Then you'll really begin to enjoy them.
                                        Bluespower

Comment

• benny
                                          • Jan 2005

I would suggest you A/B test plugging the RB1080 into the wall direct vs. into the Monster. I'm not looking to spark a huge debate, so just try for yourself and see. I do not know if the Monster you bought is a MOV-based current-limiting design, but assuming it is, you may prefer the sound of the 1080 without it. There are other types of AC filters, etc. that do not limit current at all (Richard Grey, Brickwall) if you find that the Monster is indeed "choking" the 1080 of it's power draw. Congrats and enjoy!

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
                                            • Sep 2006

Thanks For The Tip. I'll Try It Pluged Into The Power Conditioner, And Pluged Into The Wall Outlet Direct And See Which Sounds Better..

Comment

• benny
                                              • Jan 2005

If you do notice a difference then post it up! I'm curious now...

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
                                                • Sep 2006

I Picked Up My Equipment Last Week And Couldn't Wait To Get It Home And Set Up. I Took A Couple Of Days To Assemble Stands And Such, But Finally Got To Power Up. Man I'm In Heaven!!!! Nothing I've Owned To Date Comes Close To It In Sound Quality. It's Like Being Able To Hear For The First Time. I Hope The Neighbors Don't Mind. It's Great Having Music Playing While I'm Doing The Normal Things Around My Apt. I'm Going To Purchase A M&k Vx-760 And Rotel Rt 1080 Am/fm Tuner. That Should Keep Me Satisfied For Awhile.
                                                Thanks Again To Everyone For The Advice, And Steering Me In The Rotel Direction.

Comment

• Club1820
                                                  • Jan 2006

Tom, let us know how the system sounds with the M&K 760 sub hooked up. I will be hooking up my M&K 860 shortly. Soon as the basement is finally finished!

Thanks.
                                                  Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• gianni
                                                    • Nov 2002

I too would like to hear your feedback on the M&K sub which I feel on the consumer end are very often overlooked.

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
                                                      • Sep 2006

I purchased the RT 1080 today. While I was there, I listened to the KX 12 subwoofer. I spent considerable time there trying to get schooled on the different models of M&K as well as the other manufacturers for comparisons. It all comes down to how deep are your pockets. Well I thought I was going to purchase the KX 12, but by the time I finished all the listening, shopping and stuff, I walked out with the tuner, and ordered the M&K VX 1250. The bass was so much deeper, and cleaner than the KX 12. I'll pick up the sub. middle of the week. This will complete my system. I'm done spending money. Now it time to kick back and enjoy listening the my music. I'm so impressed with the setup so far, it's hard to imagine it will be even better once I kick in the sub. I'll post my comments once I have time to listen to the system completely set up, sub. and all.
                                                      To think, I started out looking at a mini stereo system, and ended up with this set up. I think I made a friend of the salesman. He is very knowledgable and was extremely helpful. He did not push the really high end equipment on me. He gave me the time to listen, and make my own mind up. Great salsman.

Comment

• gianni
                                                        • Nov 2002

Tom,

Glad to hear you went with the VX series sub over the KX - I think you'll be happier in the long run. Let us know how you like it after you spend some time with it.

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
                                                          • Sep 2006

Well, I'm back to report that I've added the M&K VX1250 THX subwoofer to my stereo set up. I'm blown away by the difference the subwoofer makes. The B&W 705's are outstanding alone, but the subwoofer, fills in the low end beautifully and now the music is just outstanding. There is no need to use much volume, the music fills the room. It is so pure, and clean it's difficult for me to describe. Unless you've been there you couldn't imagine what I'm trying to describe. I lack words to adequately describe this experience. This is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I've started listening to my CD collection all over again, and realize what I was missing. I'll need to spend sufficient time listening to my music, and maybe then I'll be able to share new thoughts about the equipment. Since it's all new and just breaking in, it will only get better with use.
                                                          I hope my neighbors don't become too annoyed with me and the music. I may have to sound proof my ceiling.

Comment

• gianni
                                                            • Nov 2002

Tom,

Glad your equipment is adding pleasure to your music listening. That is of course why we spend a little extra cash - nice to see you find it worthwhile.

Comment

• cfrizz
                                                              • Apr 2006

Congratulations Tom! That is what it's all about! Enjoy your NEW music.
                                                              Cathy
                                                              ---------
                                                              Sunfire TGP III, Sunfire Cinema Grande 405wpc 5 channel Amplifier, :B Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Sony PS-454 Turntable, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston 920 Center Channel, Boston PV600 Sub Woofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comment

• Tom Fiorino Jr.
                                                                • Sep 2006

Cathy and gianni, it was support form many others and kind threads like your's that led me to purchasing the Rotel gear, B&W speakers and M&K subwoofer. And most importantly the listening enjoyment I now have. I now listen to music mostly, while reading, relaxing, just working around my apt. Before it was mostly watching TV, or listening CD's using the Bose 3-2-1 system . It's ok for a sound enhancement for the TV, but lacks the quality for listening to music. I think I'm set for awhile as far as entertainment goes.
                                                                I enjoy breaking the system in. I'm working on the proper placement of my speakers. It's subtle changes or repositioning them that will make the difference to the sound presence. As though it's a live performance in front of me.

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"